Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close Pending. Discharge Paid Out.

So this weekend was great.

I received a refund check in the mail from my trustee after sending them the payoff amount 10 months early. The refund is what I overpaid based on an end-of-the-month payoff and my lawyer creating a plan in which I actually paid back more than I owed. Not only that, I should have another $350+ coming as they continue to deduct from my paycheck each week. Hopefully the trustee will contact my work and tell them to stop.

Mainly, it was great to log into the trustee website and see that everyone has been paid and my balance is $0. As the website stated:

"Close pending. Discharge paid out."

My toast for the New Year: Here is looking to a new year with no more payroll deductions from my weekly paycheck and no more debt.

Now if I only drank, I would have a glass to celebrate.

Please do me a favor (and yourself a favor). Ask your attorney about vacating the Wage Deduction Order! At least in my District, the attorney representing the debtor (or the debtor themselves), is responsible for motioning the court to vacate the wage deduction order! I learned it the hard way.

Also, please understand that some employers will only stop the wage deduction with an "Order" from the court. Since Wage Deductions are started with an Order, sophisticated employers want an Order stopping (or vacating) the Wage Deduction. They do not like letter or phone calls! (I speak from experience.)

And... congratulations on a Chapter 13 discharge! A significant accomplishment in the bankruptcy world!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Please do me a favor (and yourself a favor). Ask your attorney about vacating the Wage Deduction Order! At least in my District, the attorney representing the debtor (or the debtor themselves), is responsible for motioning the court to vacate the wage deduction order! I learned it the hard way.

Also, please understand that some employers will only stop the wage deduction with an "Order" from the court. Since Wage Deductions are started with an Order, sophisticated employers want an Order stopping (or vacating) the Wage Deduction. They do not like letter or phone calls! (I speak from experience.)

And... congratulations on a Chapter 13 discharge! A significant accomplishment in the bankruptcy world!
        Thanks! I'll contact my attorney.

Comment

I contacted my attorney on exactly the same day that he received the notice from my trustee. He stated that the trustee would initiate vacating the Wage Deduction Order but it was good to notify him as well; however, it might take a week or so due to the holidays.

Yesterday, my wife and I stopped by the attorney's office to sign some papers related to closing the case. We were told that the attorney will be heading to court on our behalf at the end of next month.

Today, I received my first full paycheck in over 4 years.

The end is near.

Comment

Originally posted by YouMind View Post
            I contacted my attorney on exactly the same day that he received the notice from my trustee. He stated that the trustee would initiate vacating the Wage Deduction Order but it was good to notify him as well; however, it might take a week or so due to the holidays.

Yesterday, my wife and I stopped by the attorney's office to sign some papers related to closing the case. We were told that the attorney will be heading to court on our behalf at the end of next month.

Today, I received my first full paycheck in over 4 years.

The end is near.

I bet that felt great!

Comment

I feel so happy for you. Congratulations. Another inspiration for us chapter 13 folks.
              Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
              Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Congrats!! What a great feeling to be done!
                Filed Chapter 13 - 7/10/07 - 5 year plan with 2 cars and 10% unsecured payback,
                Last Payment 7/12, DISCHARGED 11/26/12 CLOSED 12/18/12

Comment

Well, I'm not sure if I am done yet. I still have to find out what happened with at least one of my creditors.

When I filed bankruptcy, some of my creditors sold off my loans to other companies as opposed to hiring a company to manage the accounts during the bankruptcy process. As a result, the new companies submitted claims for the exact figure amount that I owed my creditors instead of the creditors submitting the claims. My trustee has been disbursing payments to these companies over the last 4+ years.

I sent in my final payoff and the trustee disbursed the final checks to the creditors; however, one company has returned the last payment check of about $300 and it is now showing up as an objection on the trustee website. As a result, I'm not sure what happened.

Did they close the account? Did they sell the loan? Are they looking for more money?

Sigh.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X