Obtaining a rental car on vacation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining a rental car on vacation...

We are approx 1/2 way through our CH 13....we are going on vacation in September to the Tamapa area. We want to rent a car. Since we have been in bk, we have never attempted this. Any advise? All we have a debit cards with the typical VISA logo (it does say DEBIT just above the logo). Do they actually put a hold on your account for MORE than the rental price as they suggest? Do they run a credit check?

The rental cost is approx $300, but they all advertise debit holds "in addition" to the rental fee in the range of $200 - $500 extra dollars, which we cannot have/nor will we have an "extra" $200/$500 to be tied up. Any advise is super appreciated as I do not want any surprises!

Thank you!
    Stopped paying CC Feb, 2010
    Retained Attorney 02/24/2010
    Filed Ch. 13 BK 06/04/2010
    341 Meeting 07/02/2010

Yes, they will probably place a hold on your card. Some may not be willing to rent to you at all. Call the manager at the office you will be renting from and ask what their policy is so you have no surprises. Enterprise definitely will rent on a debit card. So try them if all else fails. They didn't put a hold on my card the last time I rented from them, but they said it was because I was local.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

+1 for calling and finding out their policy before you go to rent. Every place is different. Most places will place a hold for more than rental amount if using a debit card, some run a credit check as well (bk will not automatically disqualify you, they are more looking for fraud indicators). Have you looked in to getting a secured credit card? You may need trustee approval unless your district allows you to get $XXX worth of debt without approval, but it is nice to have a real credit card for things like car rental and hotels.
      I got a $1k secured card and after a year they unsecured it and bumped my credit line to $5k. Obviously I pay it in full each month.
      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Yeah, as LITR said, call the managers of the rental locations. Some will be ok as long as you prove that you have a return ticket, some want copies certain documents, ... if you plan ahead you can do it. I have had to rent a couple times during my 13

Comment

What about a prepaid debit card? TD Bank sells them fee free if you have an account.
          I'm wondering if that would work... buy one with extra on it and when it's recredited, use it for other travel expenses or whatever.
          At least you have plenty of time to save up for it Start putting aside a couple bucks here and there whenever you can towards it.
          Also... I'll bet you can get that car for way less than 300- if that's the weekly rate.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

The big rental car companies (Hertz, National, Dollar, Budget, etc) will not take a PREPAID card at all. The system can actually tell what type of card it is (based on the first 6 digits of the card). It would be rejected. Also, most of these same companies have varying policies on DEBIT cards (that are backed by a checking account)... but they do allow you to use them.

Hertz, for example, holds an additional $200 above the total estimated rental charge regardless of whether it's a CREDIT card or a DEBIT card. Hertz will also run a credit check if you present a DEBIT card unless you are a member of their #1 Club GOLD (I don't understand how the #1 Club Gold waives the credit check but it seems to). Additionally, I have personally witnessed a person at the counter who presented a DEBIT card, was told he had to consent to a credit check, and then failed the credit check. Talk about embarrassing as Hertz would NOT rent a car to the person for any reason. While I was in my Chapter 13, I used my bank's DEBIT card, tied to my checking account, for numerous rentals from Hertz and National. I have never had my credit checked. I have also used my PayPal Business DEBIT card as well without issue. You just need to remember that you need the total estimated cost PLUS $200 for Hertz.

I believe the National only holds the estimated rental, but again, the DEBIT card may be a factor.

In my particular case, I'm an elite member of both rental car company's frequent renter programs so that may be why I have never had the credit check issue.

LITR is spot on. Call the location. While Hertz will absolutely not waive the $200 over estimated charges, they can certainly waive the credit check if you show a return ticket or other compelling documentation that you are not stealing their car!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks JB
              I have used a prepaid debit card to book rooms on Priceline. I wonder if that would work for cars?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                Thanks JB
                I have used a prepaid debit card to book rooms on Priceline. I wonder if that would work for cars?
                There is not ONE major car rental company that I know of that would accept a PREPAID card.
                Their systems are pretty sophisticated and the card type is "returned" to them when they swipe your card. They system will not permit them to accept a PREPAID card as establishing credit.

Remember, the whole thing with being able to rent a car from a rental car company, is to establish credit. While some of it is pretty nonsensical, they want "some" assurance that you are able to pay for the vehicle should you either a.) go over your return time, b.) have some sort of accident, and/or c.) actually don't return the vehicle (you are actually involved in some fraud). Yes, #c is real and this is why most rental care companies that I know of do not allow you to drive any of their vehicles into Mexico!

Anyhow, you are asking them to let you borrow a $15,000 - $30,000 car for a $200 hold. Again, while nonsensical, obtaining a $$$ hold on a credit/debit card at least shows that you have a BANK behind you. While I have rented cars by the skin on my teeth before, carefully calculating the estimated charges plus the $200 hold, it's not something I like to do. My friend had an issue where she was $12 short on a rental and they would not rent to her. I made the suggestion to change the car to a smaller vehicle (a compact) where the cost was less and voila, they let her rent. (It was due to the $200 hold (on top of the estimated charges) and she only had $250 available on her credit card.) Yes, they can be that stubborn!

Again, just speak with a manager at the location. They know what their loss and fraud rates and can tell you what they need. In every case that I know, a PREPAID card is a non-starter to rent a car. Hotels are much different when they get their money up front and know exactly what room you're in. A car can be moved and, without LoJack of other vehicle recovery methods, could go missing. It happens more than you may realize! I keep saying nonsensical because presenting a credit card does not mean the person will return the car. It only is an indication that the person is credit worthy to some other entity and may have more money on the car to pay for any late fees or damage!
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

In a 13 as well...... I have rented from Enterprise,on several occasions, using my bank issued VISA Debit card, I believed they put a hold on it, and I have rented in a state that I don't live in as well. Call and ask. I fretted over this but it really was very easy.
                  Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
                  36 down, 24 to go

Last payment March 2015

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                    Thanks JB
                    I know that when you book a car on Hotwire, you can use your debit card to book and pay for the reservation. But, when you get to the rental counter, they want a credit card or debit card to place a hold on funds. I bet Priceline is the same.
                    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Probably, LIR.
                      Still much to learn
                      But I am (or was )pretty good at getting deals on cars. Be sure to keep an eye out for Last Minute Specials. And never do Priceline or Hotwire too early in the game.
                      Hit me up if y'all need help. I owe a lot to folks here.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                        I know that when you book a car on Hotwire, you can use your debit card to book and pay for the reservation. But, when you get to the rental counter, they want a credit card or debit card to place a hold on funds. I bet Priceline is the same.
                        LITR, this works the same as a "prepaid" rental. You can actually get a decent rate and pay for a rental in advance using a PREPAID card. However, you must still establish credit when you go to pick up the car. This is where it gets problematic. Some rental companies have a different hold policy when it comes to prepaid rentals. I think Hertz will still get the $200 hold, but others may only hold $100.

I have never prepaid for a rental. I have, however, made many rentals on my bank DEBIT card without an issue.

Comment

Another wrinkle to renting a car on a debit card: if the institution (in our case, a local CU) will not allow car-rental charges on their check card. Ours does not, and we learned the hard way after we first reserved the car online and the charge went through ..... but, after we got to the counter and had them (Budget) swipe the card, it was turned down by the credit union.

We later found out that Budget's online reservation service miscoded the card, otherwise it would have been denied at the start. We had no choice but to take our smaller vehicle and hope for no bad surprises (fortunately, there were none).

Just something to think about. We're 2/3 of the way through our BK13. No credit is allowed in our district, and I assume the same goes for a secured CC, so in our case we're SOL on doing any car rentals.

Comment

I've had success with Enterprise (Pre-BK) using Debit cards. I think they only held for the estimated total rental cost. Definitely call ahead to the specific location for their policy.

Comment

I also agree that Enterprise or Alamo is debit card friendly, won't tack on anything above the est. rental cost. I believe they all check your credit report though.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X