Divorce mess. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce mess. Please help!

I am 2 years into a chapter 13. The plan was originally confirmed based on my salary as my ex never held a job. We separated a year ago. I am paying $1135 a month and so far he has not contributed ONE CENT. It is very frustrating!!!!

Our total claims were around $200,000 (base $68,100 with 6% to unsecured). He has been working the last year but while he makes under our state's median I make a lot more. I'm not totally sure of his income but I'd guess it is around $30,000 a year while my income is closer to $130,000 a year.

To make matters even more frustrating the bankruptcy lawyer dropped my case when I told him about the split. There aren't many bankruptcy lawyers in my area that will handle Chapter 13s. The one I spoke to today told me it would be a waste of money to hire him since I can afford my payments. Although now my rent is higher and I'm shelling out $400 a month in child support (even more frustration...we share the kids time 50/50!!!). So should I be asking for a modification to pay less???

Does anyone know how I should handle our property settlement in the divorce? Since supposedly we are both entitled to half the assets and half the debt...should I be asking him for half the $1135 per month from the time we split through the entire 60 months? Since he now makes under the median can we split the debt into two cases and allow him to convert to 7 while I continue paying mine as a 13?

You are going to have to consult with another attorney who does Chap 13, even if you have travel further than you'd like. You may or may not get the same answer from a different attorney.

Yes, bifurcating your joint case into two separate ones may be an option. But, that may not help you.

It could be that the attorney you talked to is right. Your original payment was based on only your salary and now you have a smaller household. Is your increase in rent and child support high enough to accomodate the fact that you have one less person in the household and only have your kids half the time? Putting aside your anger over the fact that your ex isn't contributing to the plan payment, can you afford the payment? If so, rocking the boat by trying to apply for a modification or bifurcation could end up increasing your payment.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I agree. You may poke the sleeping Trustee and find out that a bifurcated case has you paying more. Only an attorney looking at all the details of the combined Chapter 13 and then assessing a bifurcation of the case, can tell you what the best option would be.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X