Question about discharge and closing chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about discharge and closing chapter 13

Pacer shows discharged on 5/17/2013 but awaiting closing. Do I have to wait until my case is closed to buy a new vehicle? Trustee has my last payment and just has to send to creditors.

I also had a motorcycle paid off in the chapter 13, what do I need to do to get the clear title?

Comment

I'm curious too because we had an RV travel trailer paid off in my CH 13, which we would like to sell to my parents as soon as I get the title because I"ll need that money as a down payment on my next vehicle. My current one is limping along.
      Filed CH 13 5/28/10
      341 Hearing 6/23/10 & 8/23/10/Confirmed 9/21/2010 36 months
      DISCHARGED 9/12/13

Comment

We are in the final 6 months of ours and have paid off our RV and the car in the plan. Contacted creditor on the title for the car and was informed that it would be sent once we have completed/discharged the 13. I am assuming that it will be the same for the RV.
        Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

Yes that's what I figured too...that I would get the title once my 13 is discharged/completed.
          Filed CH 13 5/28/10
          341 Hearing 6/23/10 & 8/23/10/Confirmed 9/21/2010 36 months
          DISCHARGED 9/12/13

Comment

I was told that too for my RV (GEMB Lending). But I ended up receiving the title in the mail out of the blue with about 8 months to go. It was paid off almost 4 years ago.

Comment

Interesting..i'm in a 60 month, 100 percent plan. The first and only item the trustee paid for the first 5 months was my vehicle. Everyting else in unsecured credit cards. I received the vehicle title (from Toyota) beack 1 month after it was paid back (7 months into the plan).
              Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
              Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I am pretty sure that the lender is obligated to release the title once the loan has been paid in full. If a lender refuses, a letter from the debtor's attorney may change their mind. But, it's only worth the trouble if you need to sell the vehicle.

Heatherg40, I am pretty sure you have to get trustee or court authorization to incur debt before the case closes. At this point, it might be as simple as the trustee saying "yeah, go ahead." Ask your attorney.
                Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X