No announcement yet.

Help. I am so scared and confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that a big part of your problem is the cut in income, and that needs to be addressed ASAP. Tell the attorney your hours have been cut permanently and you need to adjust your schedules I&J right away.

However, I'm also wondering how much of your struggle is just the learning curve of learning to live within your budget. We all went through it. Ch.13 is a HUGE budgeting teacher. Once your income schedule is updated, that will obviously help, but it sounds like you need to learn to cut back and save too. The first clue to this is that you mentioned the kids karate at $390/mo. That's an extravagant expense for someone in bankruptcy. I have to wonder how many other areas you are splurging in without realizing it. A close evaluation is in order.

Clothing is another big one. Like a pp mentioned, shop clearance, buy in off season, combine with coupon savings and "cash back" offers. Old Navy just sent me a 30% off coupon and they are doing their supercash promotion right now too, where you get $10 back for every $25 you spend. You can get around $100 worth of clothes for $30 after all the discounts. These are the types of deals you need to start looking in to. Also, if you have friends who have slightly older kids, ask what they do with their old clothes. Hand-me-downs are awesome! Some of my daughters nicest clothes have been passed down from friends.

I don't know if you've looked at the IRS standards yet, but here they are: http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...anstesting.htm

Most people who have been counting pennies for years find the standards to be quite generous. If you don't, again, an evaluation is in order. Look at what you need to live and what you're buying, depending on which categories you're over/under. And if you find you're spending under in one category, you can use that overage to buffer another category. However, on paper, it should closely follow the IRS standards. The tt isn't going to follow your bank account monthly to determine where you're actually spending your money, you just need to maintain your overall budget.

This leads to another issue. Occasional or annual expenses. Clothing, medical, car maintenance, etc. are not something that occur every month. However, there will be (should be) a line-item in your budget for each of them. You need to learn to set this money aside each month as if it were an actual expense so that when it comes due, the money is waiting there for it. For example, your medical expense for a family of 5 is $300 a month (this is IRS standard), however, unless you have extreme medical issues, this shouldn't come up each month. Set it aside, because the moment someone breaks a bone, or the whole family ends up sick and you're having to pay for 5 doc visits, prescriptions, or braces, then you will need that stockpile of money. Same with car tags, christmas, car repairs. These are not "emergencies." They happen to everyone, they will happen to you. They need to be budgeted for and planned for. If you cannot learn to save for them, then your plan is doomed to fail no matter how well it is set up.

I suggest you sign up for PACER so you can view the budget that your husband and lawyer set up, and you can compare to the national standards to see what needs to be tweaked. How can you stick to a budget when you don't know what that budget is? I would insist on being included in the loop if I were you, especially because you're probably the one in charge of shopping for food/household supplies/clothing, etc. You need to know what your limit is, or you will always go over. It's human nature.
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Yes, huge part is the major cut in pay.

I am sure it's the learning curve of being on a budget. I'm actually looking forward to the 341 meeting and getting things moving. I'm going to take the budget and run with it to see how we can save and make this a positive experience and not dwell on how we got into the hole that we are in. As far as the karate, that's not just for the kids, all 5 of us do it. It's extremely important to us and we do it as a family. We have 16 months left of it so we are going o try to keep in in the plan if we can. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Clothes...I shop the clearance racks as much as I can. I thrive on finding a great bargain. I don't buy expensive clothes for any of us. I only buy on sale and when I have a coupon.

Thanks for the schedules.

I'm in the loop,with everything it's just that I don't understand it all. Just before we filed bk13 we were on edge constantly. Paid for gas with rolled coin. Now I need to understand we will have the money for what we NEED. I'm actually excited to go on this journey and learn and see how we can save. I'm excited to spend time with the kids in the backyard, going to the park and having picnics and just enjoying each other.

Thanks for all of your replies. I am sure I will have more questions soon.

11 days until our 341 meeting. Yikes!

Comment

Hi DeepBreaths, welcome to the Forum.

I have been reviewing this thread, and just happened on this last post of yours. Congratulations on accepting the challenge that being on a budget will be for you.

The visual imagery that is forming in my mind from reading this post is that you are looking forward to the challenge and will be proud to 'best' it. So, I am seeing in my mind's eye, DeepBreaths, seated on a white horse, with lance in hand, about to go at the big, green, EVIL dollar bill dragon...... and WINNING!!!! You GO!!!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

^^ LOVE IT! Really a great visual for all of us!!! Thanks Fairy ModMother!!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that $390 a month for karate is probably not going to fly with your trustee. He / she will more than likely state its not a "necessity".
            I feel your pain about the karate. Karate is significant educationally. My kid has ADHD and martial arts is really helpful for her. The inability to pay for things like that for her has been a major barrier to me filing.

It's really tough--like if you have a religious school that costs money. How do you pay for it. But do you not give your kid a Bar Mitvah?

I hope your trustee will understand the educational need for some children's classes.

Comment

I wonder...if you had a "prescription" of sorts.. if you could get that karate allowed. As part of an IEP or something...special needs...
              BTW, our town actually offers FREE karate thru the rec dept. Just a thought, perhaps you have similar or a cheaper alternative?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

i know the extra curriculum activities are very hard indeed to give up, especially with children. i don't know about your parents, but i know both my kids make excellent salaries and have little or no debt, but when it comes to dance, or gymnastics, etc., paying for...hummmmm.... i forgot what they are called black out weeks or something like that for those kids that are in school year round thingy an they have those "special" camps or whatever. they COSTS a ton of money. well i say this as an official nana, that's MY job. i can cut back a bit and make certain my grand kids and my kids have a little culture and relaxation, but that's just me.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by moe View Post
                  I feel your pain about the karate. Karate is significant educationally. My kid has ADHD and martial arts is really helpful for her. The inability to pay for things like that for her has been a major barrier to me filing.

It's really tough--like if you have a religious school that costs money. How do you pay for it. But do you not give your kid a Bar Mitvah?

I hope your trustee will understand the educational need for some children's classes.
                  This is one reason a good attorney is so important. The trustee may object to karate classes, but your attorney may find other expenses where some "padding" can be added without drawing the trustee's attention. You can reduce spending in the allowed areas to make room for the karate classes. Depending on his experience with the judge assigned to your case, a good attorney might also suggest a "prescription" as keepsmiling suggests. If a doctor or therapist will right a letter recommending the karate as an educational tool, that could be helpful in convincing a judge that the expense should be allowed.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

The OP stated the karate was for the entire family, might be difficult to get a prescription for the entire family. But as LIR suggested, a good attorney would be very helpful.
                    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
                      The OP stated the karate was for the entire family, might be difficult to get a prescription for the entire family.
                      True. That's only going to work for the one kid. Another options is to include it as a recreation expense. $390 per month for recreation for a family of 5 might not raise an objection. I claimed $150 for a family of 2 and there was no objection. What is considered reasonable will vary depending on the trustee and, if it goes that far, the judge.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X