Purchase a new iphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchase a new iphone?

I dropped a coffee mug right on top of my iPhone. It was an old iPhone 4 so it's not a big loss but it was my only phone. I have no home phone. So I need a new iPhone. I checked out T-Mobile and they have an iPhone 5 for $145 down and $21 a month plus of course the data plan. Can I purchase this while in chapter 13?

Are you ready for an upgrade? Check out Best But Mobile and see if you might get a deal for a phone. I did and saved quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kmattin View Post
      Are you ready for an upgrade? Check out Best But Mobile and see if you might get a deal for a phone. I did and saved quite a bit.
      What is BB price for iPhone 5 16G?

Comment

You might wish to consult this thread:

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Android phones can do anything an Apple iphone can do. See if you have Sprint network coverage in your area. If you do, buy an Android powered phone from Virgin Mobile (which uses the Sprint network). They have no-contracts, and unlimited messaging and data for $35 per month with 300 talk minutes.

You can do anything you want with respect to phones in bankruptcy - you just need to be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
            Android phones can do anything an Apple iphone can do. See if you have Sprint network coverage in your area. If you do, buy an Android powered phone from Virgin Mobile (which uses the Sprint network). They have no-contracts, and unlimited messaging and data for $35 per month with 300 talk minutes.

You can do anything you want with respect to phones in bankruptcy - you just need to be able to afford it.
            But with this particular T-Mobile deal you put down $150 for the phone and then $21 a month for 24 months which is basically financing the phone. Is that ok as long as it is for a phone? In other words can I finance a smart phone during my chapter 13?

Comment

I would call T-Mobile and find out if they will even allow you to finance the phone. Tell them you are in a 13, because they will know anyway, and they do run a credit check. I've found the CSR's are nice to deal with, but they don't finance everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
                I would call T-Mobile and find out if they will even allow you to finance the phone. Tell them you are in a 13, because they will know anyway, and they do run a credit check. I've found the CSR's are nice to deal with, but they don't finance everyone.
                My main concern here is violating the chapter 13 rules. I'm sure T-Mobile isn't going to turn down a customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine88 View Post
                  My main concern here is violating the chapter 13 rules. I'm sure T-Mobile isn't going to turn down a customer.
                  I don't have experience with C13, I was a 7, however, I've been with T-mobile for over 2 yrs. I filed 8/2012 and was told at the time that their policy was no new phones/upgrades for one year past BK. Even after they changed their pricing structure and I changed from contract to the $50/mo., I am still not eligible to purchase/finance a new phone until Sept.

Their policy for a 13 may be different, but I would still call and find out.

Also, if you are concerned about whether it's OK as far as your trustee, call your attorney and ask.

Comment

I don't have experience with C13, I was a 7, however, I've been with T-mobile for over 2 yrs. I filed 8/2012 and was told at the time that their policy was no new phones/upgrades for one year past BK. Even after they changed their pricing structure and I changed from contract to the $50/mo., I am still not eligible to purchase/finance a new phone until Sept.

Their policy for a 13 may be different, but I would still call and find out.

Also, if you are concerned about whether it's OK as far as your trustee, call your attorney and ask.
                    I probably will do that but I was just looking for a quick answer. I guess if all else fails I can just buy a new iPhone 4 and continue with my current service with AT&T.

Comment

you could buy a used Iphone outright (many places online to purchase used phones) for probably less than what you're planning on paying for a new one through TMobile.

Comment

Financing the phone is incurring new debt which you can't do during a Chap 13 unless your plan allows you to incur debt up to a certain amount or you get court and/or trustee authorization.

You don't need an iphone. Tmobile sells some refurbished Android phones for under $100. As Pandora suggests, you can also buy a used phone. Try Ebay. Just make sure the phone is either unlocked or works with your carrier. You could also enter into a contract with a carrier that will give you a free or discounted phone.
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                          Financing the phone is incurring new debt which you can't do during a Chap 13 unless your plan allows you to incur debt up to a certain amount or you get court and/or trustee authorization.

You don't need an iphone. Tmobile sells some refurbished Android phones for under $100. As Pandora suggests, you can also buy a used phone. Try Ebay. Just make sure the phone is either unlocked or works with your carrier. You could also enter into a contract with a carrier that will give you a free or discounted phone.
                          I'm looking at some used iPhone 4 models on eBay. They are really cheap.

Comment

I was just reading an article about how Apple has started repairing iPhone glass in store. The article also mentioned this place, that replaces iPhone glass/LED. This link is for iPhone 4:

http://www.quickifix.com/iPhone-4-GS...pair_p_17.html

Comment

I was just reading an article about how Apple has started repairing iPhone glass in store. The article also mentioned this place, that replaces iPhone glass/LED. This link is for iPhone 4:

http://www.quickifix.com/iPhone-4-GS...pair_p_17.html
                              Well I got an iPhone 5 today at Best Buy. I got a really awesome deal. I purchased an open box iPhone 5 16G for $150 and they gave me, can't believe it, $110 for my old iPhone 4. So I only paid about $40 plus tax. I also upgraded from my old account so I didn't have to get a new one. My service stays the same so I'm paying the same monthly rate.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X