Confirmation Hearing Continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmation Hearing Continued

After our 341 there were several objections. Our attorney filed amended forms and there yesterday we were continued. Does this mean that that the original objections haven't been taken care of (they were pretty basic) or that they've discovered something new to complain about? I seriously can't imagine a higher plan payment. Stupid expenses keep cropping up that are NOT figured into the numbers. Our daughter is in high school, and we've spent a fortune so far. Band fees are outrageous, and on top of that it was $100 to repair her flute. Choir fees are due next week <sigh>. PLUS she's supposed to sell 4 baseball tickets (and no one wants them) so that's another $80 due by the end of this month. BTW...she's in public school. Why don't my taxes cover this stuff?

I'm anxious and frustrated and broke. Sorry to start by asking questions and then venting....
    Chapter 13 - May 2014
    Broke but not broken...

Only your attorney can tell you for sure why the hearing was continued. My guess is that the trustee asked for time to review the amendments.

Ask your attorney about amending your plan to take into account any expenses you overlooked. But, don't get your hopes up about the band and choir fees being approved. If you donl't have room in your budget, it may be time for your daughter to get a job to cover that kind of things. My parents couldn't afford things like that either. I got a job as soon as I was old enough for the law to allow it. The work experience was at least as valuable as what I earned.

Why your and my tax dollars don't cover it is a political discussion we shouldn't get into here. But, I will say that it is sad how little the arts are valued when it comes to funding.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

My Ch 13 plan was confirmed with my schedule J, line 17 (Other) listing $312.50 per month for "Childrens' Educational Expenses" for my two kids, which is the amount from Line 43 (Education expenses for dependent children under 18) of my Form 22c (Means Test). When I supplied info to my attorney, I did not calculate anywhere near that amount for my kids expenses (I was thinking more like $50 a month for school supplies, lunches, field trips). But my atty told me we can claim the statutory max of $126.50 per child, and we did not have to provide receipts or other documentation of my expenses. You may want to ask your attorney if your Trustee/District would allow you to claim the maximum amount and if so, how much proof is needed to back up the expenses.

As for school taxes paying for items (or not), the prevailing thought I had while school supply shopping this past weekend was that if my school isn't going to pay for the big list of supplies we must get every year, the Federal or state governments should allow parents to claim the school supplies as an itemized expense!
      Last edited by switch625; 08-21-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

My kid is 2nd year golf in high school. It wasn't anticipated when I filed! Omg you have no idea!!! Killing me. They can't work for another 6 month but when can they with schoolwork and practice? Summer job will be good! But now I go without!
        Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Heard back from attorney. He said the amended plan wasn't filed early enough for the trustee to review it, pretty standard. Our attorney did try to get the payment low enough to pay for things like additional driver expenses but couldn't really go much lower or we wouldn't be able to have a high enough payment to cover trustee and lawyer fees. Our DMI was only $108, so our payment really only covers things would we would have paid in a 7 plus those legal fees. Guess that trustee REALLY wants his 4.75%!

As for our daughter working...as so as she is old enough (soon), she will get a job. She also has to be able to drive, because we live too far from town to be taking her in and picking her up. I fully expect her take responsibility for all of those "extras" like band activities, clothes, lost glasses... It's just waiting until then that seems impossible.
          Chapter 13 - May 2014
          Broke but not broken...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X