who makes the payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who makes the payments

Considering filing, who makes the payments will I or will it have to be through wage deduction? I am in Oklahoma! Thanks in Advance

Generally it is done thru a "wage directive" AKA wage garnishment.
    Chapter 13 Filed Feb 2010, Confirmed May 2010
    Last payment made Dec 2014, Awaiting discharge

Comment

My wages were attached and the trustee paid my secure pmts every month. Mortgage, Helco & Car pmt. The balance was put in the pot for the end of the 5yrs at which time that money is distributed to the creditors. I have heard others say they made their own payments. I was debating whether I should respond because I am in western PA and I have heard every trustee has their own way of managing the cases... Wish someone from Oklahoma would respond so you knew their process..
      Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
      Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
      Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

It depends on either the court or trustee, I'm not sure which. I send a money order to the trustee every month.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Some Trustees, at least in Florida, Alabama and Georgia, allow an automatic ACH (checking) deduction or for you to make a manual ACH (checking) payment online. Most of the Trustees use the famous -- or infamous -- SunTrust bank "lock box" that's in Memphis Tennessee for payments (a series of "PO Boxes" that are associated with each Trustee). SunTrust also has a payment system where you can pay your Trustee by authorizing an ACH (electronic) check withdrawal. In all cases where an ACH is done, once you mess up once -- one NSF returned check -- and you can no longer use the ACH manner. You should see if your Trustee supports the ACH method.

Not all Trustees allow the ACH electronic check. Not all Trustees allow "personal" checks. Many require either the wage deduction (it's not a garnishment) or sending certified funds (certified or bank check or money order) to the "PO Box" in Memphis.

Now that I think of it, I would personally not prefer the wage deduction if I could do the automatic ACH checking debit (payment) or be allowed to pay via ACH online. I only loathe wage deduction because I had so much trouble getting mine stopped when I converted to Chapter 7. It was more than a month and over $13,000 before they stopped. That's just my personal feeling.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

My trustee objected that I did not specify payments via payroll deduction. I asked my attorney "what section of the Federal Code requires that" and the issue went away.

Comment

Originally posted by kmjatl View Post
              My trustee objected that I did not specify payments via payroll deduction. I asked my attorney "what section of the Federal Code requires that" and the issue went away.
              Some Trustee's rely on the Duties of the Trustee to ensure that the debtor is successful. They usually reference 11 USC 1302(b)(5). However, it is not "specific" to ensuring "every" payment, but it is that the Trustee must make sure the debtor does "begin" making payments under the plan.

It really is a stretch and some Districts allow payments to a "lock box" and some larger Districts, like the ones in Florida, allow manual payments via TrustWin. TrustWin is a SunTrust web application that is used by Trustees to allow debtors to make plan payments using a checking account (via ACH). Some Trustee also allow automatic debits from a checking account (via ACH as well) by filling out a debit authorization.
              Last edited by justbroke; 01-06-2015, 06:33 PM.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Mine is thru auto pay in mt checking. Thank goodness!
                Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X