Early Payoff But..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Payoff But..

I have 7 payments left on 100% plan and enough cash on hand to pay in full. However, my lawyer keeps cautioning that there is some risk that the mortgage holders on a surrendered property could dispute an early payoff now that the property is finally resold and a claim could be calculated and submitted. I'm confused because the confirmation clearly stated "surrendered in full satisfaction with $0 distribution to..." He claims there is always risk when working with the trustee. I am so tired of it and want to move on. He has not been a stellar lawyer, overly cautious but not incompetent.

Any thoughts? If I just make a few extra payments, will it be over more quickly?

Take your attorney's advice. The language re zero distribution is based on the fact that the creditor did not file an unsecured claim. Your attorney is concerned that the mortgage company could petition the court to allow a late unsecured claim for the deficiency. If they get the notice that your case is ready to be discharged, they may wake up and file a claim. Better conservative than sorry.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Listen to your attorney. While that particular secured creditor may not win an objection to discharge or some sort of motion to allow a late amended or unsecured claim, it could certainly make things more tentative and tense. Why add additional angst (which I sense you are feeling)? Your attorney probably told you that it should not be an issue, but there are some very small risks. Patience may be the better option.

Additionally, why would you deplete your savings which would take you another 7 months to rebuild to that level? Slow and steady wins the race.
      Last edited by justbroke; 02-24-2015, 05:52 AM.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Ha.. That's actually exactly what he said Justbroke. My frustration was that dealing with the house and an ex 4 years prior to the start of my chapter 13. The angst comes from what is essentially a 9-year plan. It has been a long ride. Thanks for the response!

Comment

You're welcome. I know it's a long road and you can start to see that light ahead in the tunnel. I just posted a thread on the number of Chapter 13 cases, filed pro se, that never make it to discharge. The pressures are enormous but you can do it. Don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X