top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Married, single bankruptcy, balance transfers, OH MY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Married, single bankruptcy, balance transfers, OH MY!

Good afternoon! I've been lurking this forum for a while, and was hoping someone could share their insight on my scenario.

My husband and I have been struggling with credit card debt for a while. It recently came to a head when a water line in our front yard was leaking (2500$), our car needed a new manifold and some other junk (1k$) and my fridge just died and we had to purchase a new one. I've been transferring balances periodically to try and keep interest charges down, but now we are up to 22k. We both only work part time and make approximately 23k a year. We have been using credit for daily expenses (think toilet paper, pull-ups) so I can save cash for CC payments. I own our home (my mother in law cosinged, my husband is not in the loan), mortgage is at $700, we receive assistance (food, medical), and I pinch pennies, so cutting housing and other expenses isn't really an option.

The recent large purchases I made (see above) went on a credit card in my name, and then were transferred to a card in my husband's name at 0% interest (Around 7k). All of our debt is now currently in my husband's name. I guess my question is whether or not the courts will see that as fraudulent activity if he were to declare bankruptcy single? Would we still need to wait the 90 days, or are those purchases not considered "luxury"? We were considering bankruptcy prior to this, and the major expenses pushed us over the edge. Any insight you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated; I would love to be able to save college money for my kid one day!

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X