credit union confiscated my debit card 7 years after bankruptcy discharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

credit union confiscated my debit card 7 years after bankruptcy discharged

My bankruptcy was discharged 7 years ago and yesterday, my credit union cancelled my debit card. They said if I pay back the debt that was discharged, I can have my card back. Is this common and is it legal?

It sounds like an attempt to collect a discharged debt to me. It is one thing to say that your BK disqualifies you from having a debit card if that is in fact their policy. But, to hold a debit card hostage to try to get you to pay disharged debt is a clear violation of the permanent injunction against attempts to collect a discharged debt. Did they say it in writing? If not, it will be hard to prove. But, it can't hurt to consult with a bankruptcy attorney about the possibility of filing a complaint against the CU.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

My impression is that CUs don't treat BK debtors very well. My CU car loan and a personal loan were paid off through the BK. I was only late once (30 days) on the car loan and late several times on the personal pre-BK, yet they closed my checking account.

Comment

I don't think the cancellation of the card is uncommon for a CU if they suffered a loss. It's typically in your membership agreement. The uncommon thing here is that it took so long for them to do it.
        You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

They can cancel the card becuase of the BK if that is their policy. It is not unusual to cancel a debit card because of credit issues. But to say that they will return it if you pay the discharged debt is an attempt to collect a debt, in my lay person opinion.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X