Single Pay Auto Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Pay Auto Lease

Has anyone had experience with assuming a Single Pay Car Lease in Chapter 7.
    Is it treated any differently than a regular car lease? For reference our BK Court is in Orlando Florida. Thank you
    Last edited by cclark346; 02-06-2022, 10:01 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

You will need to discuss this with an attorney but here is how I see it.

1. If you advanced paid the lease within the past two years, the cash transfer (and trade-in if there was one) must be listed on question 18 of the Statement of Financial Affairs.

2. The unexpired, but fully paid, lease is listed on Schedule G.

3. In a Chapter 7 a trustee can reject a lease. Your trustee may elect to do this and demand a portion of the advanced payments returned to the bk estate. I do not know for sure as I have never had a client with this issue. If rejected, you would have to return the vehicle to the lessor.

Make sure you bring a complete copy of the lease agreement with you when you meet with an attorney.

Des.

Comment

Des has written what is the best way to approach this. From what I understand, the problem is the lease, since a lease may have value. Trustees often evaluate a lease to determine whether or not it's beneficial to the bankruptcy estate. As Des wrote, "if" the Trustee is going to attack the lease, they'll reject it and then try to recoup the prepayments.

But, as Des also has written, I think a Trustee would need to be really looking at this with a careful eye. In the end, you must deal with the fact that this may happen and you may need to return the vehicle.

Very interesting, though.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X