Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge on April 8, Credit Karma says one credit card account still open

I had my 341 and my Chapter 7 discharge is set for April 8, but I checked Credit Karma and they say my Capital One account is still open with a $2,332 balance. It's the only one still open and CK says it's on both my Equifax and TransUnion reports. It says the last report for the account was on December 22,2018 (I filed in January).

Should I tell my attorney about this? Is it anything to worry about? I haven't gotten any notices that they're contesting the discharge, and they're listed on my bankruptcy petition as one of my creditors so I can't figure out why this account is still open with a balance.

Thanks for any insight!

I filed in December 2017. Within two weeks most of my creditors updated their reports. Capital one did not. Mine updated in late January or early February or 2018 finally.

Creditors can take their time reporting but they do have to be accurate. Since capital one did not post inaccurate information they technically did nothing wrong. Your discharge is not set for April 8, that’s just the end of the 60 day window.

The fact that capital one hasn’t updated your reports doesn’t mean they are looking at you for a possible AP. And the fact other creditors have updated them doesn’t mean they aren’t.

My attorney advised me not to worry too much about my credit reports during the bankruptcy because everything is changing as creditors update their records and such. Since your 60 days after your 341 is April 8, I would give them 30 days after that (May 8) to update your credit report. But since you filed with an attorney, they could give you advice on that. They haven’t violated the automatic stay but your attorney can help you on that note.

Comment

Your solution is to file a dispute with the credit reporting agency. It will come off either on its own, or sometime after the discharge is entered or the case is closed. If not, just file a dispute.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

OK, thanks for the replies!

I guess my main concern was that Capital One got left out somehow and I'd still have the debt after the discharge, but that didn't seem possible if they're on the petition.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. I still have $2250 showing on my report, but I haven't discharged yet. They must be slow or hopeful they get paid. I don't discharge until about April 30th.

Comment

Again, I filed in December 2017. They made their last report in November 2017, and didn't report at all in December or January. Shortly after, they reported it IIB. Pretty sure it was late January or early February. I would simply make sure they don't continue to mark you with delinquencies after you file. If you get discharged and it's still wrong, let your attorney know. Also, if they report past your filing date, let your attorney know. It's normal for Capital One to be slower than other creditors. Also, I had two tradelines with them and they deleted one of them, strange. Best of luck!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X