Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anxiety disorder + OCD + the horrors of reading online versus what your lawyer says.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety disorder + OCD + the horrors of reading online versus what your lawyer says.

Hello everyone!

I don’t want this to be too long but in short, I suffer from SEVERE anxiety and OCD. I also have the tendency to go online and read horror stories as opposed to what my lawyer or whatever other professional tells me.

Filing Chapter 7 and not even having a 341 meeting yet, I feel like impending doom is a sure thing. You see, I have a certain number of unsecured credit cards and after reading online, I am now second-guessing myself on what I put on the applications. I may have put down two or three more thousand dollars more than what I used to make on the applications for income and even on the tax returns it showed I made less because of days I called in sick (due to anxiety) and holidays that which we were never paid for because the company didn’t do that.

A few of the cards I took out while unemployed (but had money from other things like inheritance etc etc).

My lawyer says not to worry because I don’t owe any of these people enough money for them to care enough to pay the $5,000 or so to go into it. The most I owe to anyone is around $2,000.

The other thing that brings me to catastrophic thinking is the 341 meeting. This is stressful enough on me with everything so there were a few things I overlooked while doing my schedules as far as personal things I own. I live with my family and I don’t own a car or anything. I don’t have any property. I’m merely a person with a bedroom and my personal belongings. I did all of my paperwork and thought I put everything down but the last two days I noticed other things I forgot to put on there. I told my attorney and they said don’t worry about it because I’m under the $5,000 thing where I can keep my assets. I’m worried because I read online that the trustee WILL KNOW and I’m done for. I also read if I undervalue my things (which he will also know) that I’m done for.

My lawyer said STOP READING ONLINE but I can’t help it. I read that if you lie on an application for a credit card you’ll get 30 years federal prison for each card. BUT HOW!? How does this process work? When you file bankruptcy, do they automatically go back to your digital application and look? HOW DOES THIS WORK!?!? Everyone talks about it but never explains the details!!

I’ve lost so much sleep and haven’t had an appetite for weeks. I’ve lost weight and every day I go through a 5th of alcohol to control my thoughts and anxiety. When I wake up, the first thing I think about is “I’m done for. I’m going to be taken away from my family forever!” and I think this until I’m drunk and passed out for the few hours of sleep that I get. God I’m so lost and scared right now. I’ve made payments every month with no problems until I couldn’t make them anymore. It’s been about 7 or 8 months since I’ve used any credit card which half of them are now charged off and a few sold to debt buyers. I’ve considered drastic things because I’m scared of prison and scared to be taken away from my family. Everyone online has me convinced that I’m a fraud and a criminal. Watching attorney videos on YouTube and reading things like on NOLO or something.

Please is there anyone that’s been in this type of situation who has successfully gone through a Chapter 7? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I know it's hard but don't worry!! As long as you're under the $5,000 limit for exemptions even with the added stuff, you're good. The attorney knows what the trustee will be looking for and if he says don't worry, then don't worry. You've disclosed the additional items to your attorney so you're not hiding anything, which is all the trustee will care about.

I just went through a Chapter 7, roughly $29,000 in credit card debt, and had no problems. The 341 went off without a hitch, just about the only things the trustee will be looking for is, do you have anything valuable that he can sell to pay the creditors (a house, a boat, valuable jewelry or paintings, cars, land) and are you trying to hide anything (like another bank account)? He or she really isn't going to care about anything else. My 341 went very fast, all yes/ no questions, it was over in a few minutes. Just be sure to be 100% honest and you should be fine!

I don't think credit card applications enter into it at all, but I can't claim any real knowledge about it. As far as I know they didn't look at any of mine, and I had a bunch of cards.

Comment

Im going through the same things. I have already filed and I have my meeting 2 weeks from now. I was a mess the first few weeks before and after filing and im sure the week of my meeting im going to be a wreck.

People on here and as well as my lawyer have helped to easy a lot of my worries. The biggest thing people here kept telling me was ask your lawyer questions and if they tell you things are okay believe them! You have to keep in mind unless you have a brand spanking new lawyer yours knows what they're doing a lot better then you do! They've done this before and they know what the Trustee is looking for. I kept on asking questions until I had no more questions to ask...even then I still freak out but I keep running through what everyones told me.

Also if you can find my post, someone here told me and gave me a link to the satisitcs of the percentage of people that go to jail for bankruptcy fruad ( I convinced myself im done for too, id be fine all day til i came home and started thinking whelp this is it I need to get stuff done before I'm taken away!) The percentage in the link sent to me was about 20 people a year over the millions and millions that file! I'm pretty sure that unless you've done something your scared to tell your lawyer about your fine. I try to shut the jail thoughts off by thinking " are you really gonna be one of the 20 out of MILLIONS of people? You've got nothing you're hiding, you're beinf honest ..your lawyer knows everything "

I understand, so much how you are feeling. I've been driving my loved ones and myself crazy with this whole thing. Im hoping after the meeting I chill out even more because after that is the 60 days of waiting til the end.

You just have to keep trying to battle the negative thoughts with positive ones ..i can't tell you how many times in a day I have googled " the success rate of chapter 7 bankruptcy" I told my therapist how I kept googling that - she asked me what Google came back with and I laughed and said " it says more then 99% of bankruptcy cases are sucessful" and responded AND THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!

Ive also reread responses to my post here a billion times, everyone here has been so kind and has really helped my anxiety. I think talking to people who have been through/ are going through it is a big part of being able to relax about it .

Keep running through the POSTIVE things your lawyer is telling you ..if they say its okay ..they know its okay ..mine told me my 341 meeting which takes about 5 minutes she thinks will only take 2! Ive got about 32k in debt, no assets, and I had a failed business 3 years ago that was a total loss ( which I was beyond freaking out about but my lawyer was like yeah thats clearly a loss and shouldn't be any issue) I know im going to go into my meeting and answer all the questions with the truth and I have nothing to hide and I'm pretty sure that's what gets me to sleep at night even if I spend some time during the day freaking out.

I hope you find some peace and can relax. I truly get where you're coming from. When you have no idea about what your jumping into its scary and the internet can make it even worse sometimes. My lawyer got it through my head that no one online has a case 100% just like mine, and diving into the internet for answers can really mess with your head - not to mention sometimes people on the internet are jerks and will say things just to freak you out ..what I can tell you is stay on here if anything. My thread has about 15 responses and EVERYONE was so helpful .

I can't tell you much more as I'm not done with the process yet myself but if it is like everyone keeps telling me ..its going to be okay .

If you need a friend feel free to message me.

Comment

From what you said it sounds like everything is OK. I did not do Chapter 7, but did 13. Yes, it is stressful. Yes, we worry too much. Yes, if the lawyer says it's ok in my experience it's OK!

If you have a diagnosis of anxiety and OCD, please see your doctor to help you. Drinking alcohol is not helping your situation and while in one way it might calm you in other ways it is making the situation worse. If you don't have a diagnosis it might be helpful to seek help from someone who can help you get the anxiety under control.

I know there can be guilt with bankruptcy or feeling like we have been irresponsible, etc. We can blame ourselves way too much. The emotional end of bankruptcy isn't really addressed. It's not easy and it's one of the most stressful things I have gone through.

Stay away from whatever you are reading online. I can only imagine what you found on YouTube! No one online knows you and your personal experiences, they don't have the expertise of the attorney who has ALL of your information.

On this site, you will see that almost every post someone will say "talk to your attorney" and people give their personal accounts

Please take care of yourself. This is a process to fresh start. Do not over do it with alcohol. Get help for your anxiety. I know how terrible anxiety can be if it's not treated.

Comment

I thank all of you for the responses but now another horrifying image has entered my mind. In 2018 (while I was still working) I sold some pistols to a couple of gun shops around town. Now I’m reading online that I can get in trouble for selling property! Are guns considered property? When the trustee asks if I sold or transferred any property, what do I say?! GOD I HATE MY MIND LOL

Comment

Originally posted by NOGOTS View Post
            I thank all of you for the responses but now another horrifying image has entered my mind. In 2018 (while I was still working) I sold some pistols to a couple of gun shops around town. Now I’m reading online that I can get in trouble for selling property! Are guns considered property? When the trustee asks if I sold or transferred any property, what do I say?! GOD I HATE MY MIND LOL
            Ask your lawyer but I'm gonna say that in 2018 you didn't know you were going to file bankruptcy so it's probably not going to be an issue unless it was within 6 months before you filed. Even so just tell the lawyer worst case I would assume would tell you to wait a few more months before filing?

Comment

Originally posted by Swolfe12 View Post

Ask your lawyer but I'm gonna say that in 2018 you didn't know you were going to file bankruptcy so it's probably not going to be an issue unless it was within 6 months before you filed. Even so just tell the lawyer worst case I would assume would tell you to wait a few more months before filing?
              I mentioned it but said don’t worry because the trustee is more interested in things of higher value than some pistols sold for a few hundred bucks. But would it still be considered under the whole “have you transferred or sold any property” thing? Or does property mean houses and land etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by NOGOTS View Post
                Please TRY TRY TRY not to overthink everything. The attorney will ask you questions and you answer them honestly. I am not an attorney, but I know there are time periods they look at and I would say just about everything they ask is not as worrisome as it sounds. Many people get hung up (this if for Chapter 13, don't know if it's in 7 or not) when they have to list the value of all their belongings and you know what it really WAS NOT A HUGE deal. I procrastinated like you would not believe, wanting to have the right value, but in the end it really didn't matter since the value of our belongings isn't really much if we had a garage sale--there's no big ticket items and any garage sale I have been involved with people want everything for a lower than low price! My point is sometimes we worry about things that in the long run really were nothing to worry about.

And if you have a question. "Oh I remembered I sold some guns to local gun shops." No problem ask the attorney I sold these guns such and such date, do you need that info? He says "yes" or "no" and he tells you how to proceed. Don't even think about the trustee at this point. The lawyer will tell you the next step. Ask the lawyer what is "property" is it anything or is it a house/lot?

I was worried we have a big income tax bill to pay this year. I worried too much about it. Lawyer said call the IRS and ask about a payment plan. My anxiety was up, but not out of control about this situation. Turns out I can't have a "payment plan" but I can make voluntary payments. Is it the best scenario, no who wants to pay interest on top of a large tax bill. Is it workable, yes.

Try to talk yourself down when you think of something. Tell yourself it's not the end of the world. I know it's easier said than done.

Comment

I mentioned it but said don’t worry because the trustee is more interested in things of higher value than some pistols sold for a few hundred bucks. But would it still be considered under the whole “have you transferred or sold any property” thing? Or does property mean houses and land etc etc?
                  That usually means super valuable things like boats, cars, high end antiques and jewelry - things they can sell for thousands of dollars and pay off the creditors. They also want to make sure you aren't hiding assets by "selling" them or giving them away with the intention of getting them back later on.

The trustee isn't going to care about a few hundred dollars, especially if you sold them over six months before you filed (I think that's the cutoff usually). If he does ask, that you can be honest and tell him, but it won't count against you. But follow your attorney's advice, he might say to not even bother mentioning it because it's not a big amount.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X