Why No One Actually Go To Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why No One Actually Go To Prison

Even though bankruptcy fraud can lead to up to 5 years in prison. When I googled some examples of jail time for fraud in the State of Georgia, it looks like no body actually went to jail for fraud in recent years. Seems like threat of prison time etc is just to scare people. Has anyone seen any cases where people actually went to prison?

Bankruptcy fraud absolutely does result in prison time at "Club Fed" (not state prison). Over the years I have represented or testified on behalf of folks in such predicaments.

As to finding info on-line, Google "people convicted of bankruptcy fraud". There are many examples - albeit the ones you can find out about have egregious facts. But don't let that fool you. Years ago I handled a case where the debtor spent 38 months behind bars for failure to disclose on his schedules a prior bk filing and a bank account. The prior filing was a public record and there was very little money in the bank account. The jury still found the debtor guilty.

Des.

Comment

Oh, people go to prison for bankruptcy fraud. Look no further than Real Housewives of New Jersey (I think it was New Jersey), Teresa Guidice and her husband. It happens.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The last few years?? Check further back. The jails were not housing as many people during the pandemic. I don't know if that has to do with the stats, but I remember in the news people in general were not being jailed.
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Oh, people go to prison for bankruptcy fraud. Look no further than Real Housewives of New Jersey (I think it was New Jersey), Teresa Guidice and her husband. It happens.
          And the dance teacher/studio owner Abby from Dance Moms!
          I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X