Exemptions Denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exemptions Denied

In the fraudulent chapter-7 case, if the BKC denies the discharge and the trustee administer the case to liquidate assets, does BKC or trustee also have powers to deny exemption due to fraud and liquidate all assets?

I don't know your true underlying question. If you're asking if exemptions can be denied... absolutely. When there is no basis for the exemption the panel trustee will object even in non-fraud cases. I don't think, however, that you can be denied an exemption simply due to bankruptcy fraud. Now if the asset was fraudulently obtained or obtained using fraudulently obtained money... that's another question that I can't answer.

Bottom line is to avoid bankruptcy fraud at all costs. It is a crime and the courts are not shy about sending people to federal prison to make a point.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      . . . I don't think, however, that you can be denied an exemption simply due to bankruptcy fraud.
      See:

Law v. Siegel, 571 U.S. 415 (2014)

Skip to page 415.

Des.​

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

I've read Siegel once before and, admittedly, not closely. Did I misread it or did SCOTUS say that the court can't touch the exemptions regardless... even though they (Law) tried to get around it by surcharging the exemption to pay a debt? (Not to hijack the thread at all... just curious.)
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

My reading of the case. . .

An allowed exemption is sacrosanct.

Des.

Comment

Originally posted by despritfreya View Post
              My reading of the case. . .

An allowed exemption is sacrosanct.
              I didn't use such a flowery word as sacrosanct... but I use "no touchie!" I appreciate the qualifying adjective, "allowed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X