Question for people with kids and budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for people with kids and budget

Okay the school year is coming fast, what kind of budget do you have for school clothes??? My kids have to wear uniforms, however, they still need new clothes because they are growing so fast. I swear my oldest daugher grew like 4 plus inches in 9 months. One minute I was looking down at her the next I was looking up at her, she passed me.

I was thinking ebay, but any other ideas????

Also, what family things are you guys doing for free??? We already go to the park and swimming but what other things. I was thinking library, it gets really hot out here in Phoenix, so we don't do too many things outside during the day except swim. I sent the older kids to the Boys and Girls club for summer camp, it is only $35 dollars a week for the summer and pretty much free for after school, they even feed the kids dinner during school season, so that helps, they keep the kids busy. Yes, I am the true "soccer" mom, even with the broken feet, I am the busy mom. my kids are my world and I want to make sure they remain happy during this time in our life.

Food, what are you guys doing about food??? I have growing kids that eat real food not junk food which is cheap and unhealthy. Me, I can live off nothing but iced tea but of course of the diabetes I have to give in and eat other things LOL. However, I found a place out here in Phoenix, that will out meat boxes, bread boxes, fresh garden veggie boxes, pantry boxes, grill boxes for cheap, this will feed a family of 5-6 for a week for only $65 dollars plus you get extra ie fresh milk, soda, juice, lots of fresh fruits. this is not for people on welfare it is for the public, mainly donated food from local grocery stores and farmers market.

For those of you in phoenix the website for the food http://www.firstfoodbank.org/programs.html

I just think if we all put our heads together we can help eachother out with ideas to help us get through this.
    Success is reachable, stretch out your arm and grab it.

Most of my income (not hubby's) comes at the end of April, so I took 200 of it and bought an Inset pop up pool. We also have summer passes to the Jumping Party. It a warehouse full of the inflatable slides and such. We can go as much as we want. We also have a terrific park near our home that has a LARGE wooden structure for climbing, hiding, balancing, swinging etc.

I joined the Early Childhood PTA and they have activities once a week that are almost always free. Being a mom again, I think it is important for me to get to know the parents of the kids, even when they are small, so I can know who spends time with the kids, therefore, who are the better kids.

For my food budget, I developed a grocery price book. I have been saving the grocery circulars and I enter the prices in the price book. This way, I will know when an advertised item is at it's lowest price so I can stock up. With the price book, I can see how often things go on sale so I can gauge how much to buy until the next sale. Chips were recently BOGO, so I bought enough to last until the next BOGO sale. Another example, boneless skinless chicken breast usually go to the lowest price about the 10th of the month. Briskets at are their lowest around Memorial Day or July 4. I buy enough for the year at the lowest price. I have a vacuum sealer and use it to seal the meat that I buy so it keeps well.

The PTA has given me insight to clothing swaps, I shop the resale shops for uniforms and order from French Toast. Many years ago, I wore uniforms and I remember having 4 inch hems in them so they could be let out for the next year. These were the jumpers with buttons at each side, so the buttons could be moved to make it larger as I grew. Can you guess which jumpers we will pick for my granddaughters uniforms next year? I usually buy the shirts a size larger so they can get 2 years out of them.

Oh, and as soon as my store bought laundry detergent is gone, I'm gonna start making my own laundry detergent.... 2 cents per load.

Granny
    I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

How do you make laundry detergent???

i was thinking of making a veggie garden as well, I can grow veggies all year long out here.

I am going to put all loose change and dollars that are left over on payday and put it into a jar and use that money for birthdays or entertainment.

Heck, if I get good at this after the bk discharges and I go back to work we may find a way to get rich and stay that way. Never been a true fan of CC so that will not be a problem for me However, I had no problem getting personal loans so if I learn to develop my own savings life will be great.

As horrible as this is, it may be a great learing experience and things happen for a reason.

Comment

When I mentioned this to hubby, he objected, said it reminded him of his granny stirring a pot of lye soap.

There are recipes on the internet but you use borax, Fels Naptha soap and washing soda. These are all old products but still available in many stores or over the internet. From what I am reading, it does a better job than today's detergents, even for the high efficiency machines, and its better for the environment. That's important to me because I have well water. I've started using borax now, and so far I am impressed. But I'm reading that with the homemade, there's no need for fabric softener.

Moderators, if this link is not allowed please remove it

The site is great for other money saving ideas. This is the original author of Cheapskate Monthly, Mary Hunt.

Let me know what you think, and I'll send a report as soon as I make and try the soap.

Granny

Comment

Originally posted by Granny View Post
          There are recipes on the internet but you use borax, Fels Naptha soap and washing soda. These are all old products but still available in many stores or over the internet. From what I am reading, it does a better job than today's detergents, even for the high efficiency machines, and its better for the environment. That's important to me because I have well water. I've started using borax now, and so far I am impressed. But I'm reading that with the homemade, there's no need for fabric softener.

Let me know what you think, and I'll send a report as soon as I make and try the soap.

Granny
          I have made the soap before and it works just as well as regular liquid laundry detergent, you just need to shake it up good before dispensing it for each load. I pour mine into 2 liter soda bottles, so it is easy to handle. I have made mine mostly with a bar laundry soap we have around here called Zote. I was unable to find the fels naptha here, but did finally find it one time when we went visiting to family in Florida. Now I have had a hard time finding the washing soda. Kroger carried it, but they closed up their local store. The Brookshires didn't carry it, but I recently saw it somewhere, so will start making the homeade again soon ( like as soon as I remember where I saw it )

I still use fabric softner, but I only buy the Cuddle Soft sheets at WalMart. $0.88 cents for 50 sheets. That is half the price of even the GV brand sheets. I will buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time, because they are sometimes out when I go, gee I wonder why?? I will buy another box or 2 when I get down to one left in my pantry shelf.
          Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
          Plan approved- 7/11/05
          Date discharged--10-12-2007
          Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Originally posted by freshstart06 View Post
            Okay the school year is coming fast, what kind of budget do you have for school clothes??? My kids have to wear uniforms, however, they still need new clothes because they are growing so fast. I swear my oldest daugher grew like 4 plus inches in 9 months. One minute I was looking down at her the next I was looking up at her, she passed me.

Also, what family things are you guys doing for free??? We already go to the park and swimming but what other things. I was thinking library, it gets really hot out here in Phoenix, so we don't do too many things outside during the day except swim. I sent the older kids to the Boys and Girls club for summer camp, it is only $35 dollars a week for the summer and pretty much free for after school, they even feed the kids dinner during school season, so that helps, they keep the kids busy. Yes, I am the true "soccer" mom, even with the broken feet, I am the busy mom. my kids are my world and I want to make sure they remain happy during this time in our life.

Food, what are you guys doing about food??? I have growing kids that eat real food not junk food which is cheap and unhealthy. Me, I can live off nothing but iced tea but of course of the diabetes I have to give in and eat other things LOL. However, I found a place out here in Phoenix, that will out meat boxes, bread boxes, fresh garden veggie boxes, pantry boxes, grill boxes for cheap, this will feed a family of 5-6 for a week for only $65 dollars plus you get extra ie fresh milk, soda, juice, lots of fresh fruits. this is not for people on welfare it is for the public, mainly donated food from local grocery stores and farmers market.

For those of you in phoenix the website for the food http://www.firstfoodbank.org/programs.html

I just think if we all put our heads together we can help eachother out with ideas to help us get through this.

Have you tried the local Goodwill or other thrift shops? None of our public schools wear uniforms right now, but I am always seeing the ones from the private schools in the area. Also, if your area has a local internet site, you might put up an ad that you are looking for some cheap uniforms in good shape. Our community has a website that has classified ads. We have bought tons of clothes for the littlest one. In fact now one particular lady we bought from always calls us when her daughter goes up a size.

As for things to do, we stay pretty busy just with the school activities around here. To play afterschool softball only costs 30 dollars a year. They usually have afterschool practice 2 or more days a week, and the games are all played at a central location that is 10 min from our house.
            I know you talked about dance in one of your other posts, and I don't know how many girls you have or how expensive your dance studio is, but.. Our attorney allowed us to budget $100 a month for entertainment. I chose to give up movie going and premium channels on the satelite to keep my daughter in dance. She had to cut back to only 2 classes. Our studio charges $30 for the first, and 10 for each additional class. So that is 40 a month. We don't do the dance recital ads, and we don't do the expensive workshops they offer. And I have bought her dance shoes off of ebay the past 3 years, they are much cheaper than buying them in the local sporting good store. Just know your local prices, and start looking now. And you might call around to see if there is a cheaper dance studio than the one you are at.
            Food- we eat lots of beans and rice meals. I can stretch a ham into about a weeks worth of meals, and I only buy hams when they are on sale for $1.00/lb or less. Today I bought a 10# tube of ground beef for $1.39/lb. I will probably turn that into 3-4 meatloafs and a meal or 2 worth of hamburger steaks. Like Granny said, make a price book and learn who has the cheaper items. WalMart isn't always the cheapest on everything.
            Plan approved- 7/11/05

Comment

We will also make a big deal out of going to get a snow cone or an ice cream at Braum's. It's cheap and if the kiddos are small enough, you can con them into thinking it really is a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by arkienurse View Post
                I have made the soap before and it works just as well as regular liquid laundry detergent, you just need to shake it up good before dispensing it for each load. I pour mine into 2 liter soda bottles, so it is easy to handle. I have made mine mostly with a bar laundry soap we have around here called Zote. I was unable to find the fels naptha here, but did finally find it one time when we went visiting to family in Florida. Now I have had a hard time finding the washing soda. Kroger carried it, but they closed up their local store. The Brookshires didn't carry it, but I recently saw it somewhere, so will start making the homeade again soon ( like as soon as I remember where I saw it )

I still use fabric softner, but I only buy the Cuddle Soft sheets at WalMart. $0.88 cents for 50 sheets. That is half the price of even the GV brand sheets. I will buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time, because they are sometimes out when I go, gee I wonder why?? I will buy another box or 2 when I get down to one left in my pantry shelf.
                Thanks for the tip about the 2 liter bottle, I was waiting to use this huge jug I have, but the 2 liter bottle sounds better.

I have seen the washing soda at my Brookshires, so ask them if they can order it for you.

The link I gave earlier has a link to purchase Fel's and other old time soaps. I think it was soapsgonebuy.com but I can get Borax cheaper at Walmart.

Comment

My favorite bath gel is no longer available at Walgreen's but the bar soap is. Do you know how to make a bar of soap into a gel? Would melting it with water do the trick?

Comment

Great post!

Originally posted by freshstart06 View Post

That would be wonderful to have a place like that here in IL! YOu can't beat that for $65!! I would think that consignment shops would be great for kids clothes and also yard sales. Always ask if they will take less, they usually do at a yard sale. S&T

Comment

Originally posted by Granny View Post
                      My favorite bath gel is no longer available at Walgreen's but the bar soap is. Do you know how to make a bar of soap into a gel? Would melting it with water do the trick?
                      I have heard of making gel soap from the scraps of soap bars, so don't see why not. Can't hurt to try it once. I think I would grate up the soap and put a bit of water over it in a jar to soften up. Have no idea how much it would take. I vaguely remember something about running it through a blender after it it thouroghly softened and slimey. And put it in an old dishwashing soap sqeeze bottle. But I don't think it will be exactly the same, just close. Maybe someone on here will know if you can add something to give it
                      Plan approved- 7/11/05

Comment

Here you go - How to Make Liquid Hand Soap - http://www.ehow.com/how_9095_make-liquid-hand.html

Steps
                        1. Grate one bar of soap.
                        2. Place the grated soap and 1 c. boiling water in a blender and set it on "whip."
                        3. Add 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tsp. glycerin and stir.
                        4. Cool the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes and whip again.
                        5. Add cold water to the mixture until you have 6 c.
                        6. Whip the mixture again.
                        7. Pour it into a storage container and let it cool. Do not place a lid on the container.
                        8. Fill a pump dispenser with the soap. Shake before using.
                        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Choose a Goodwill store in a very weathly part of town. There you will find the best clothes!! We live in the LA area and frequently shop at the one in Santa Monica. My husband's love for designer jeans and tshirts is part of what got us in the hole. Now he finds Deisel Jeans (retail 280) for $8.00!!!! You have to be persistant to find the good stuff.
                          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Goodwill here works differently. All clothing goes to a central location and is then sorted and shipped to the various stores according to what will sell best at each location. The store with the most jeans is in an area where most of the rodeo crowd are likely to live. So it may be worth the time and effort to visit several store to determine what type or merchandise they carry.

Here's a link to Angel Food Ministries. My sister gets food from here. I think it's like 25.00 per month and provided a good variety, although it may not be as good as fresh veggies, it would be a good resource over Ramen Noodles.

They have locations in the following states with multiple locations in many cities within those states:
                            Alabama
                            Arkansas
                            California
                            Delaware
                            Florida
                            Georgia
                            Illinois
                            Indiana
                            Iowa
                            Kansas
                            Kentucky
                            Louisiana
                            Maryland
                            Michigan
                            Mississippi
                            Missouri
                            Nebraska
                            Nevada
                            New Jersey
                            New Mexico
                            New York
                            North Carolina
                            Ohio
                            Oklahoma
                            Pennsylvania
                            South Carolina
                            Tennessee
                            Texas
                            Virginia
                            West Virginia

Last time I looked at the site, there was a sample menu of what you could get. There are additional items you can get that includes steak or additional chicken and I think you can buy more than one main package. So you folks with lots of kiddos could get 2 units for 50.00
                            Last edited by Granny; 07-07-2007, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Yes, St. Mary's foodbank is the best. You get a good select of meat ie has ribs, steak, family size bag of chicken you name it. I really love the fresh veggies, I will be getting more food this Monday. You can get as much as you want. It is funny because my husband always sends me to get the food, apparently, the men that work there must think I am cute or something because they always give me extra for free. LOL. The way it works you drive up to order (Like you would at a fast food place) and place your order, then you pull your car up to the loading dock and the men that work there load your car. The best times to go is before and after the holidays. You wil get ham, turkey, the best cakes and pies. All the food is the overstock from local grocery stores ie Frys (Krogers) Walmart, you name. You will also sometimes get household goods. The only problem you cant pick exactly what you want like at a grocery store, you get whatever is in the meat box, bread box, pastry box, veggie box. Once I stuck with way too many cucumbers and beets.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X