Nolo How to Ch 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nolo How to Ch 7

Does the nolo how to ch 7 give any good insight as to pre-planning and things to watch out for (like this site) or is it strictly 'how to' fill out the forms?

I've been wanting to get it to take a look but nervous about the record of having bought it - if that makes sense....
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
    341 July 1, 2008
    Discharged September 4, 2008
    Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Nolo Bankruptcy Book

Someone on the forum suggested that I try and get a copy. I went to Borders today and they wanted 29.95 for the 2007 edition. I tried to buy and old version online but it did not go through. I did glance through it and it seemed pretty interesting. The book is very big and the letters are small and its a lot of reading, but at a glance...it seems worth it...given all the information they provide and copies of needed documents.

However, if you get a version 2006, it should be enough information to get started.

Comment

They have them at the local library and that is free. You can look at it before you buy it.

~You should always check the source otherwise its just a Tabloid"~Tahnya

Comment

NOLO is a fill-out-the-form- kinda book. Advice for pre-BK planning can be kinda sketchy...there is some good underground info, but you really have dig for it and unless you are planning years out, there isn't a whole lot you are going to find out. A serious study of the forms, especially the Means Test Calculations can be enlightening if you have some cognitive horsepower. A suggestion <might> be made to practice filling out as many forms as you can so that any <trends> can be identified. Good luck..BTW, NOLO is a very benign book, no red flags with that one...
        NOTE: I am not a lawyer...any advice I give is for entertainment purposes only. Legal questions should be directed to competent counsel. I am just a troll. Or a Toad.

Comment

Worth the Money

I bought 2 How to books and I have been researching quite a bit on the internet. I think the Nolo book is fantastic! I started thinking about BK about 3-4 months ago and reading the book really helped me make the decision. I'll be filing Pro Se on Monday. I guess we'll see how my case turns out to see how good this book (or the reader) really is
          Filed Chapter 7 pro se- 7/24/07
          341 Meeting - 9/13/07 Done!
          Last day for objections - 11/12/07
          Discharged!!!! -11/26/07

Comment

Pro Se

I was going to file Pro Se, but the Bankruptcy Helpdesk assistant really upset me today when I went in for the first time to get started. Tell me how a statement like this will help anyone already feeling frustrated and overwhelmed about bankruptcy...."If you decide to represent yourself, you will be responsible for knowing the New Laws". The new law became effective Oct-2005 and is very complicated and if you make a mistake, and have no knowledge of how to correct it, this could result in loss of your home or property. No person here will "tell" you anything."

Now you guys tell me, does that sound intimidating or what? I almost ran out of there, but I stuck it out, took the forms and listen to what they said because I knew I could not afford a lawyer. Do any of you know if this is in fact true and if us Pro Se filers make a mistake...there really isn,t any reprieve?

Comment

Go to craigslist and find a paralegal to help with the forms or prepare your docs for you. Learn all you can, this forum is a great start. If you can't afford a lawyer you just can't afford one, don't allow anyone to force you more in debt. One key is any documents you submit to the courts make sure your social security number is not on any docs ie paystubs or bank statements. You can leave the last four digits but that is it. Make sure you take the Credit Counseling class, it is only $50 and you can do it online, very simple stuff. Look on your BK state website for links. Filing BK is not that bad, it is just a stressful time in our lives. Before you file make sure you learn all you can. But trust me a paralegal is only $200 find one that has been in the business for a while, no one that just got started.
              Success is reachable, stretch out your arm and grab it.

Comment

opps
                go to www.craigslist.com
                to under legal
                in search type in Bankruptcy
                you will find paralegals that way.
                Success is reachable, stretch out your arm and grab it.

Comment

Originally posted by CoCoChanel View Post
                  Do any of you know if this is in fact true and if us Pro Se filers make a mistake...there really isn,t any reprieve?
                  CoCo, what the person you talked to today told you was mostly true. If you file on your own and your case has problems, you'll be hanging out there on your own without a lawyer against a trustee who is a lawyer and creditors who have a lawyer (or lawyers) as well. It's not that there's no reprieve, but you will have to figure out how to correct any mistakes on your forms and refile them appropriately with the court, how to respond to the court to any trustee or creditors objections, motions to lift stay to go after your assets, etc. A paralegal can help you file the first time, but if there are mistakes, the paralegal isn't a lawyer and can't help you fix anything other than correcting form errors after that. Some courts do a fairly good job of helping pro se filers by providing lots of information on their websites - is yours one of them?

There are members here in the forum who strongly advocate filing without a lawyer (pro se), and other members (including all of the moderators) who say you should only attempt filing pro se if (1) your case is a very simple, straightforward, no-asset case, and (2) you are willing to do a tremendous amount of self-education about the Oct 2005 bankruptcy law (aka BAPCPA) first.

Filing without a lawyer is a risk. Only you can decide if the risk is worth it. Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you if you file on your own....but if it doesn't, then you will have to live with the consequences.
                  Last edited by lrprn; 07-20-2007, 05:11 PM.
                  I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                  06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                  07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                  10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                  01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                  09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                  06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                  08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                  Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget