My lawyer is asking me for check register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lawyer is asking me for check register

My lawyer is asking me for a check register for the past 6 months showing the payments for electric, gas, telephone, internet, cable, car insurance, day care, water bill, groceries etc..etc..

I do not keep a check register..

I paid everything online using my online banking from my checking account, or I paid items with a credit card.

He is asking for this info with my filled out questionaire.

I did not submit nothing to him yet. I am just about wrapping up the lenghty questionaire. One of the many items requested with this lenghty questionaire is the check register thing.

Any thoughts?

What do I need to do with this?

Are you able to printout your account activity online? Or download the statements from the last 6 months?
    I went into my bank and asked for account activity with average daily balance for the 90 days prior to filing, which I submitted to the trustee. He didn't ask me for 6 months prior, only 90 days. The trustee does want to see 6 months paystubs.
    None

Comment

most of us do not keep registers because they are online. simply print out your online register and give it to your attorney. Same thing...no sweat. Also provide your credit card statements you will be fine.
      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
        most of us do not keep registers because they are online. simply print out your online register and give it to your attorney. Same thing...no sweat. Also provide your credit card statements you will be fine.
        What are they looking for in the check register?
        This is for a chapter 7?
        <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
        FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I'm guess the attonry is getting together the expenses??????????
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

If your online bank lets you do a printout I'd do that.

Otherwise go to each of your utilities and get printouts of your payment record , that would help some .
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
              If your online bank lets you do a printout I'd do that.

Otherwise go to each of your utilities and get printouts of your payment record , that would help some .
              Is it common for them to want checking records for a ch. 7? what are they looking for?
              <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>

Comment

Originally posted by PaKettle View Post
                Is it common for them to want checking records for a ch. 7? what are they looking for?
                It's not common for you to be asked for proof of anything other than what's required - pay stubs, etc.

A guess....bk lawyers are held accountable for the accuracy of the information in every case they file. Storesstores's lawyer is probably just being cautious. Or maybe this lawyer was burned by another client and this is his/her way of ensuring nothing is hidden - no recent money transfers, no recent creditor payments, etc.
                Last edited by lrprn; 08-13-2007, 10:59 AM.
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                  It's not common for you to be asked for proof of anything other than what's required - pay stubs, etc.

A guess....bk lawyers are held accountable for the accuracy of the information in every case they file. Storesstores's lawyer is probably just being cautious. Or maybe this lawyer was burned by another client and this is his/her way of ensuring nothing is hidden - no recent money transfers, no recent creditor payments, etc.
                  First of all, thanks, lrprn, for the referral, I'm signing up with the guy Cathy Moran recommends in L.A..

As for your comment above about "no recent payments", I was advised by 2 attorneys to go ahead and make a payment even after I decided to file, because I had spent several hundred dollars on those accounts and not made even one payment. So they both said this would not hurt, to at least have it look like I attempted to pay back some of what I spent on those cards.

I probably won't file until September, waiting 3 months after my last purchases of a tv and a camera. Now, of course, I wish I'd never made those purchases, but at the time I did not know I was going to file, I realized it when I went to pay my bills later that month.

Comment

First of all, thanks, lrprn, for the referral, I'm signing up with the guy Cathy Moran recommends in L.A..
                    Woo hoo!! I am so glad that your laywer search is over, Pa! Glad to have helped in some small way for you to find a lawyer that you are comfortable with - that's so important!

I probably won't file until September, waiting 3 months after my last purchases of a tv and a camera. Now, of course, I wish I'd never made those purchases, but at the time I did not know I was going to file, I realized it when I went to pay my bills later that month.
                    Sounds like you have a good plan set, Pa. Keep us posted how your pre-filing planning goes. We're all rooting for you - hope the weeks before filing go smoothly!
                    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

This was an attny request that Stores got. Not the Trustee.

Some attnys are VERY thorough in their prep of every case. Ours was like that.

By the time he filed our case, he had CC statements, bank statements, utilities bills, and what not for a year prior to filing. Copies of our Lease, our insurance policies, our cell phone contract. Nearly everything of any importance in our lives, our attny had a copy of it.

Our paralegal said they scan everything into their system and maintain an electronic record of all documentation for every BK Case filed. In case,......... In case a BK is audited. In case the Trustee requests 6 months of bank statements. The paralegal doesn't have to call the Filer. She creates an email, attaches a document, and hits send. In case........ Our attny was just very thorough that way. He left no stone unturned.
                      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                      Discharged - 12/2006
                      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X