What is posted in your newspaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is posted in your newspaper?

I know that in larger citites this is probably not an issue but I live in a very small rural area and we have a weekly town paper and a weekly county paper. The court docket is basically our 'town blotter' and its something that anyone who reads the paper looks at. I know that BK is public record and anyone can access that information but that is a lot different than having it published. Does anyone live in a town where the actually BK is posted in the paper? When I asked my attorney about this (she does not live in the town or county I live in) she thought that the only thing that would be published is if it was a foreclosure. I am reaffirming my house so that is not an issue for me. However, I have just decided to surrender my car and do a 722 replacement and now I am worried that this would be something that could appear in the paper. Anyone have any insight?

Would it make a difference on whether or not to file?

Comment

Nope....but if it's going to be published there are a couple of people I should probably tell first rather than have them read it in the paper.

Comment

It's published in my city - full name, address, chapter, assets, and liabilities. Really sucks.

Comment

Yikes. I was told bankruptcy is not reported in the paper. I wonder if it has to do with whether it's a no-asset case versus an asset case??

Rick
          11/29/2007 - Filed Ch 7
          01/08/2008 - 341 Hearing
          03/12/2008 - Discharged
          03/21/2008 - Closed

Comment

Originally posted by RickInMich View Post
            Yikes. I was told bankruptcy is not reported in the paper. I wonder if it has to do with whether it's a no-asset case versus an asset case??
            Nothing to do with asset/no asset - most likely it really depends on your local newspaper's custom on how much is reported if anything.

Open up your local paper and look for the court and police listings. Bk filings are listed there among the arrests and police calls in our paper .

Start by checking the back pages of the financial section or in the classifieds. Or you can call the paper and ask where that information is located and when it's published. Some papers publish the filings every week, others publish it every month. Some papers just don't bother, period. Maybe you'll be lucky and your paper will be one of those.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

If a paper would post it....would it be when you file? or when your case is closed or discharged?

Comment

Ours posts each week's filings the following week in the business section.

Comment

Hmmm...so if I already filed (and I already had my 341) and it never showed then there is a good chance it won't.

Comment

Our local business journal has a section every week that lists bankruptcies. All they list is Full name, city, state and district I think...
                    (X) - Filed Chap 7 - 11.14.2007
                    (X) - Free and Clear - 2.22.2008
                    PreBK Scores - 467/428/434 (11/22/2007)
                    PostBK Scores - 571/604/583 (3/15/2008) - Rebuilding Begins!

Comment

Our newspaper lists names, actual street address and house number, debts, assets, and what chapter you are filing. It looks like they publish the information in the week following the actual filing. The only good thing is that we'll have plenty of company. In our area, there are huge amounts of bankruptcies, about 120 in last weeks paper.

Comment

Call you local newpaper and ask them, I'm sure they will tell you what they normally print....
                        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X