[Urgent] Registration is due but the car has been repossed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Urgent] Registration is due but the car has been repossed

The car has been repossed last week and the registration is due today. Should I file for planned non operational? or Do nothing?

Is there any form I need to file?

Thank you so much.
    Filed Ch 7 pro se - 11/08/07
    341 Meeting - 12/13/07
    Final Date for Objections - 02/11/08
    Case Closed - 03/04/08

Definitely Dont Pay The Registration, You Dont Have The Car Anymore .. I Guess. Just Let The Dmv Know Or The County You No Long Possess The Car .. Unless You Owe On The Registration While It Was In Your Possesion, Than That Is A Debt You Owe.
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by skyblue View Post
      The car has been repossed last week and the registration is due today. Should I file for planned non operational? or Do nothing?

Is there any form I need to file?

Thank you so much.
      Do nothing, no forms, no calls, you no longer
      have the car, just ignore the registration.

Comment

Originally posted by skyblue View Post
        The car has been repossed last week and the registration is due today. Should I file for planned non operational? or Do nothing? Is there any form I need to file?
        Did an online search - in California at least it looks like the car's owner may have to pay the registration anyway - see #29 question and answer at http://www.bvlrecovery.com/facts.html (warning - legal language ahead!) Although you don't have possession of the auto, you are still the legal owner until the car is sold at auction.

I would make no assumptions here. Call your state's DMV and see what they say. If you are interviewing lawyers or have retained a lawyer, ask them this question as well.
        Last edited by lrprn; 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

When I surrendured, I got the plate and had to turn it in, or they would flag my license, sibce I cancelles the insurance. So I second lprn, call and make sure.
          Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;
          341 Meetings: 11/28/05, 3/20/06, 12/4/07 (3d time's a charm!)
          Converted: 2/15/06 (to CH13), 10/15/07 (Back to CH7)
          DISCHARGED: 2/15/08

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
            - see #29 question and answer at http://www.bvlrecovery.com/facts.html (warning - legal language ahead!)
            hee hee - legal language.
            Did you see that warning sign? It said legal language ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
              Did an online search - in California at least it looks like the car's owner may have to pay the registration anyway - see #29 question and answer at http://www.bvlrecovery.com/facts.html (warning - legal language ahead!) Although you don't have possession of the auto, you are still the legal owner until the car is sold at auction.

I would make no assumptions here. Call your state's DMV and see what they say. If you are interviewing lawyers or have retained a lawyer, ask them this question as well.

Thank you so much for your input.
              I registered for PNO (Planned Non Operational) and paid $17.
              It was on a neck - due few hour later or PNO could go up to $40.
              Filed Ch 7 pro se - 11/08/07
              341 Meeting - 12/13/07
              Final Date for Objections - 02/11/08
              Case Closed - 03/04/08

Comment

So if registration is due and car is still in your possession, you have to pay.....even if let's say 3 weeks later you surrender/repo the car?

On CA's dmv site, would you do a "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability" (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm) when car is surrendered/repo.....thus "out of your hands". Could you also apply for a refund since you do not have the car? (Application for Refund form: http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2528).

Comment

Originally posted by dscurlock View Post
                  Do nothing, no forms, no calls, you no longer
                  have the car, just ignore the registration.

Doing nothing is alway the VERY dangerous answer! Especially when you are talking about your driver license! Any time your car is repossed you need to immediately file a notice of release of liability with your DMV whether your registration is due or not! The reason for this is because when you drop your insurance they will tag you for not having insurance on a car that is registered in your name. Because most states have a redemption period, it will be some time before the registration is actually transferred. Call the DMV immediatly and let them know what the circumstances are and you will not have to pay. As the previous poster stated this can be done online in california. Under new owner you would just put the name of your bank or finance company.
                  Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X