top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does bankruptcy effect a job search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lookinupn09 View Post
    OK, Going to start this with some facts.
    Chap 7 BK discharged 3-2010
    Job Info:
    20 plus years industry knowledge
    Went to interview
    Received offer letter and docs to start position.
    Have been emailed congrats from people in the company
    Have airline tickets purchased by them to attend first mtg.
    They don't know as yet about the Chap 7 , will know by Monday due to HR service persons absence.
    Yes, I am very skeptical, and hope for the best. It is a great job and I am the perfect candidate.
    Am I worried for nothing, or am I right to be concerned until my first day.
    I am open to the forums thoughts, as I am sure many others have had a feeling like this after a BK 7 or 13.
    All depends on the position, the company and how do you know they don't know about your Chapter 7? If it should come as a surprise after the fact, there may be issues - depending upon questions on your employment application...was there a questoin asking whether or not you had ever filed bankruptcy? Your job may be contigent upon what they get back as to your background check...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I looked for that exact question. Not there. On all the docs, just agreements to look into background. Regarding background check, no criminal record, no DWI or driving record problems, clean clean clean. There is no cash handled, not in Banking, not Government. A sales support position. You are right, they may know, and didn't get back to me yet. From all indications, It looks like I am hired. But I know they will have to see this on the background and credit check. According to what I have learned, there is a law against them from denying the position solely due to the BK (525 I believe) Maybe I read too many forums, but look at the mortgage situation right now. Not to go off topic, but in Massachusetts, the courts just ruled in favor of the homeowners due to the banks failure to prove standing. So I do have hope. in either the job or a lawsuit.
      I basically posted this to show the great folks on this forum that the stress level continues, even after the BK. This may actually be more stressful than the night before my 341, which went perfectly well. It's that stress of not knowing that is both unhealthy and discomforting. Will keep posting til I know more.
      Last edited by lookinupn09; 01-15-2011, 09:28 PM. Reason: need to add some facts
      Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se 11-2009
      341 Mtg 1-2010
      Discharged 4-2010

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcc View Post
        My husband and I are considering bk. We are in the spiral of higher interest compounding with fees on credit cards. We can see the writing on the wall and my husband is going to lose his job at the end of this month or the beginning of next. Has anyone had experience with getting a job after bankruptcy?
        2muchcc, you can search my threads, I went on and on about this before filing chapter 7. My best research was that it looks better to a hiring manager to see that you are debt free after filing a bk than drowning in a huge debt. The manager would likely determine that the person drowning in debt could possibly do something reckless like steal from the company to help get him or her out of debt.

Once you deal with this possibility the next thing to look at is your very survival and that of your family and your peace of mind. I finally came to grips with this and said enough is enough f*#$ the employers and the corporations in this world. I have to survive and look out for myself first and foremost. Later I can explain to the interviewer why I filed BK if and when they want my permission to run a credit check on me.

If they have a problem, I will explain to them how my country is in huge debt, how my state is in huge debt and needs federal bailouts, how my city is in debt and needs state bailouts, how my mortgage company had to be bailed out, how my car company had to file BK, how my bank had to be bailed out. If these giant incredible corporations needed to be bailed out, can you understand how it is possible that a simple human being such as me may need to be bailed out, especially during the worst recession since the great depression?

If they still have a problem, pull out 3 fingers and tell them to read between the lines!

Comment

Dear helpme2010,

Great post! Well said, and I will quote you on my next contact with them!!!
          Last edited by lookinupn09; 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM. Reason: correct user name
          341 Mtg 1-2010
          Discharged 4-2010

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I looked for that exact question. Not there. On all the docs, just agreements to look into background. Regarding background check, no criminal record, no DWI or driving record problems, clean clean clean. There is no cash handled, not in Banking, not Government. A sales support position. You are right, they may know, and didn't get back to me yet. From all indications, It looks like I am hired. But I know they will have to see this on the background and credit check. According to what I have learned, there is a law against them from denying the position solely due to the BK (525 I believe) Maybe I read too many forums, but look at the mortgage situation right now. Not to go off topic, but in Massachusetts, the courts just ruled in favor of the homeowners due to the banks failure to prove standing. So I do have hope. in either the job or a lawsuit.
            I basically posted this to show the great folks on this forum that the stress level continues, even after the BK. This may actually be more stressful than the night before my 341, which went perfectly well. It's that stress of not knowing that is both unhealthy and discomforting. Will keep posting til I know more.
            Did they tell you the position hinges on the results of any background/credit check? I did some on-site contracting work about 10 years ago at a large major national financial entity and I know for a fact that anyone who was hired was told the job was contigent on the results of the background AND credit check, inasmuch as it was a financial institution. I personally saw two people not get jobs due to one having bad credit and the other having previously filed bankruptcy. Even for us to do contract work on that site we had to have background and credit checks run and complete an entire financial questionnaire to be handed in for comparison to credit reports and then also get fingerprinted.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Actually, that's not really true. A hiring manager could look at someone with a lot of debt as being a "secure hire"... someone who is likely to stick around for a while. Someone who is darn grateful to have that job.

Helpme, I've read some of your posts and have learned that you're not a big fan of objective viewpoints so I'll limit what I could tell you, as someone who did a lot of hiring for a lot of years. Instead, I'll simply suggest you leave all the finger pointing out of your interviews (the hiring manager doesn't care about who got federal bailouts or city bailouts, nor do they care if it's the fault of republicans or greedy banks or whoever you choose to blame that day) and focus on how you pulled up your big boy panties and took responsibility for your own situation. It goes a long way. All things considered, your current approach doesn't seem to be working too well for you, based on your many recent posts. I hope, for your sake, that changes.

Coaching people to play a blame-game, "it's all about me and what I need," or a "I did it because everyone else is doing it" approach in a job interview is reckless. If you want to limit your own career options, fine. But sheesh, don't take other people to the sinking depths with you.
              OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peeps View Post
                Actually, that's not really true. A hiring manager could look at someone with a lot of debt as being a "secure hire"... someone who is likely to stick around for a while. Someone who is darn grateful to have that job.

Helpme, I've read some of your posts and have learned that you're not a big fan of objective viewpoints so I'll limit what I could tell you, as someone who did a lot of hiring for a lot of years. Instead, I'll simply suggest you leave all the finger pointing out of your interviews (the hiring manager doesn't care about who got federal bailouts or city bailouts, nor do they care if it's the fault of republicans or greedy banks or whoever you choose to blame that day) and focus on how you pulled up your big boy panties and took responsibility for your own situation. It goes a long way. All things considered, your current approach doesn't seem to be working too well for you, based on your many recent posts. I hope, for your sake, that changes.

Coaching people to play a blame-game, "it's all about me and what I need," or a "I did it because everyone else is doing it" approach in a job interview is reckless. If you want to limit your own career options, fine. But sheesh, don't take other people to the sinking depths with you.
                peeps, where's your sense of humor? And why are you attacking me for giving some advice. I am very open to objective viewpoints. I am not really going to flip off an interviewer after explaining why I went BK, this is simply using humor to help that poster get a good laugh out of a stressful situation.

My advice is to explain the nature of the economy and how many large corporations, banks, even the united states itself is under water. Then explain why we went bankrupt due to the recession and being unable to pay the bills as a result. I believe most employers will understand if you have a logical explanation for going bankrupt. Those that do not, the hell with them.

And by the way, I have a right to vent about job searching nightmares. Many on this board can relate and are having problems themselves.

I will not attack you for your quote, I will take the high road in hopes that something good will come of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  Did they tell you the position hinges on the results of any background/credit check? I did some on-site contracting work about 10 years ago at a large major national financial entity and I know for a fact that anyone who was hired was told the job was contigent on the results of the background AND credit check, inasmuch as it was a financial institution. I personally saw two people not get jobs due to one having bad credit and the other having previously filed bankruptcy. Even for us to do contract work on that site we had to have background and credit checks run and complete an entire financial questionnaire to be handed in for comparison to credit reports and then also get fingerprinted.
                  Yes, it did on the offer letter. I think the verbiage was ''subject to a background check and drug test'. Believe me, when I was going through my chapter 7, pro se, this forum really got me to the finish line in one piece. I will be forever grateful for this forum.
                  That's why I appreciate the posts, even the humorous ones. I have been practicing my response to this potential roadblock, because I know it's coming. And my personal situation seemed like a perfect storm. Layoff, bad mortgage, etc. So like we do here, I'll go with the honest answer, as it was a perfect storm. Now, 10 months after my discharge, I have $28 dollars in debt and a 627 score, going up slightly each month. To me, that seems like a positive thing. Only time will tell. I did some more research on 525, and I may not have recourse there, should I get turned down due to the BK. Thanks for your response!
                  341 Mtg 1-2010
                  Discharged 4-2010

Comment

Practice your answer to the bk question, explaining how it happened and how you have changed your situation for the better so this won't happen again. And how this bk won't affect how you do your job. Focus back on the benefits you will offer the company. There really is a laundry list against all of us when we interview. There are so many reasons we get rejected from jobs. I got rejected from one job because the hiring company did not believe the answer I gave about one of my job functions at a company I worked for and I told the truth. I have seen others reject based on someones looks, lack of connection between the interviewer and employer, something doesn't click, etc. Hiring managers can make mistakes, misjudge the candidate and a host of other reasons, legitimate or illegitimate.

We just have to keep interviewing and eventually we will land the job and hopefully a job that will last.

Hang in there and stay as positive as possible. I know this is extremely difficult to do, but each day, do something that makes you happy and reward yourself and be proud of yourself for trying. There are millions of people just like us that are out of work and it is due to no fault of our own. Sure there are millions that are out of work because of their own fault, but there are tens of millions that are out of work due to no fault of their own.

Comment

I just went through this in one of my classes and with the extremely high influx of bankruptcies in this country, if these people want A OK credit reports on their employees, they will be looking to fill positions for a long time.

Companies are shying away from credit checks. They add cost to the hiring process and the bk numbers are high.

Seriously, chances are your company or parent company has filed in the last 10 years
                      Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                        Practice your answer to the bk question, explaining how it happened and how you have changed your situation for the better so this won't happen again. And how this bk won't affect how you do your job. Focus back on the benefits you will offer the company. There really is a laundry list against all of us when we interview. There are so many reasons we get rejected from jobs. I got rejected from one job because the hiring company did not believe the answer I gave about one of my job functions at a company I worked for and I told the truth. I have seen others reject based on someones looks, lack of connection between the interviewer and employer, something doesn't click, etc. Hiring managers can make mistakes, misjudge the candidate and a host of other reasons, legitimate or illegitimate.

We just have to keep interviewing and eventually we will land the job and hopefully a job that will last.

Hang in there and stay as positive as possible. I know this is extremely difficult to do, but each day, do something that makes you happy and reward yourself and be proud of yourself for trying. There are millions of people just like us that are out of work and it is due to no fault of our own. Sure there are millions that are out of work because of their own fault, but there are tens of millions that are out of work due to no fault of their own.
                        Helpme2010,

I did just that. Practiced the response, an honest one. And, the great news is, It looks like I'm hired!! Even I can't believe I am writing these words. Nearly 2 years out of work. Well, I will update again later, when I am actually on the job. Thanks for all responses and keep the faith!
                        341 Mtg 1-2010
                        Discharged 4-2010

Comment

This gives me such hope, hubby has been out for 11 months and I will lose my position next month. We did a BK 7 back in Nov. 2010 and are awaiting discharge. Not sure what will happen with both of us on unemployment but hopefully we should qualify for assistance being a family of 5

Helpme2010,

I did just that. Practiced the response, an honest one. And, the great news is, It looks like I'm hired!! Even I can't believe I am writing these words. Nearly 2 years out of work. Well, I will update again later, when I am actually on the job. Thanks for all responses and keep the faith!
                          Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

I am in financial services and took a job right after discharge and then took a better job about a month ago. Both times I went through a thorough background check as part of the application process. When asked about my bankruptcy, I was honest, and I simply said that I had run into financial difficulties several years ago, and that I was glad that was all behind me and that I was on the road to rebuilding. I did not go into too many details, but did not gloss over it either. No one questioned beyond that, and my position is one with a good deal of responsibility and a high income. In this economy, many people, in all positions have been affected and have had to look to solutions that previous generations would not have considered viable options.
                            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

BTS, you are my inspiriation. Since we are both in the same state, I'm hopeful that hubby and I can find something very soon.

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                              I am in financial services and took a job right after discharge and then took a better job about a month ago. Both times I went through a thorough background check as part of the application process. When asked about my bankruptcy, I was honest, and I simply said that I had run into financial difficulties several years ago, and that I was glad that was all behind me and that I was on the road to rebuilding. I did not go into too many details, but did not gloss over it either. No one questioned beyond that, and my position is one with a good deal of responsibility and a high income. In this economy, many people, in all positions have been affected and have had to look to solutions that previous generations would not have considered viable options.
                              Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                                Hiring managers will choose the candidate they want long before the issue of credit is raised. If one approaches the job search with self-doubt believing his bankruptcy will disqualify him this attitude will reveal itself in the process. If one is confident in her approach the most likely outcome is what backtoschool experienced, that being the credit check is a mere corporate mandated policy with no real significance.
                                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X