top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does bankruptcy effect a job search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lookinupn09 View Post
    Helpme2010,

I did just that. Practiced the response, an honest one. And, the great news is, It looks like I'm hired!! Even I can't believe I am writing these words. Nearly 2 years out of work. Well, I will update again later, when I am actually on the job. Thanks for all responses and keep the faith!
    lookingup, that is the coolest news. I am very happy for you and proud of you for hanging in there. You are also positive motivation for me when I get my interview and have to explain my bk. I would be happy to hear how you phrased it if you wish to share it.

congrats.

Comment

BK will be more of a issue in the banking/finance industry...even the insurance industry is becoming more lenient with credit...if you are looking at a position in a bank, the bK stands a greater chance of being a problem, a credit card processing company, yes BK could be a problem..A BACKGROUND check and a CREDIT check are TWO different items. A background check usually involves checking to see if you have commited any crimes, been arrested or charged with a crime. A credit check is for looking at payment history, financial issues or past BK filings. Don't confuse the two when it comes to a job search or you may end up offering information that is not necessary to getting the position.

Comment

Bankruptcies. Bankruptcies are public record. However, employers cannot discriminate against applicants because they have filed for bankruptcy. (11 USC ยง525)

Source ..http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs16-bck.htm
        Chapter 7 - Filed 11/28/2010 <> 341 Meeting - Done 12/28/2010 <><> Report of No Distribution 12/28/2010 <><><> 60 Day Club <><><><>Discharged 3/1/2011<>>

Comment

Originally posted by bkmystory View Post
          BK will be more of a issue in the banking/finance industry...even the insurance industry is becoming more lenient with credit...if you are looking at a position in a bank, the bK stands a greater chance of being a problem, a credit card processing company, yes BK could be a problem..A BACKGROUND check and a CREDIT check are TWO different items. A background check usually involves checking to see if you have commited any crimes, been arrested or charged with a crime. A credit check is for looking at payment history, financial issues or past BK filings. Don't confuse the two when it comes to a job search or you may end up offering information that is not necessary to getting the position.
          Usually a thorough background check will include a credit check, a criminal check, a public records check, a driving record check, a workman's comp claims check, a check that your education is as stated on your application and a reference check. Past salaries and job length-of-employment/salaries may also be checked.

and in response to BKHELP138, although it is illegal to discriminate against bankrupt applicants, that of course will never be the stated reason a job is not offered, so there are ways around the laws.

In any case, your bankruptcy will most likely come up in either the credit check or the public records check of any pre-employment background check, so it is best to be prepared to discuss it if necessary.
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

A background check may not even go as detailed as you described..again..depends on the job position..USUALLY..it will involve again criminal history...yes employment and education..however that is normal in ALL jobs..CREDIT checks are not done in all job positions..

As far a BK being a public record..yes it is..but again..a possible employer will not dig deeper than is necessary for the position.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmystory View Post
              A background check may not even go as detailed as you described..again..depends on the job position..USUALLY..it will involve again criminal history...yes employment and education..however that is normal in ALL jobs..CREDIT checks are not done in all job positions..

As far a BK being a public record..yes it is..but again..a possible employer will not dig deeper than is necessary for the position.
              I work closely with corporate HR in my position and I can advise that most employers thoroughly check out employees from all angles due to all the issues of today as to embezzlement, fraud, falsified college papers, documents, references, etc. One should not get comfy thinking that a prospective employer will not focus on every possible area of one's life. Also be careful what one posts on Facebook or other social forums. One can be their own worst enemy.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thank You, as I just completed week one at work. Pinching myself to make sure I'm still not in a dream. I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time, or just plain lucky. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted!
                Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se 11-2009
                341 Mtg 1-2010
                Discharged 4-2010

Comment

Originally posted by lookinupn09 View Post
                  Thank You, as I just completed week one at work. Pinching myself to make sure I'm still not in a dream. I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time, or just plain lucky. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted!
                  I'm so happy for you, hubby just got another rejection letter "we've decided to pursue another candidate"
                  Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                    I work closely with corporate HR in my position and I can advise that most employers thoroughly check out employees from all angles due to all the issues of today as to embezzlement, fraud, falsified college papers, documents, references, etc. One should not get comfy thinking that a prospective employer will not focus on every possible area of one's life. Also be careful what one posts on Facebook or other social forums. One can be their own worst enemy.
                    I agree with Flamingo. I have had several companies I interview run background checks on me and they did include credit (this was pre-bk). I had one company even make me an offer and they ran the background check and then suddenly they wouldn't return my calls or anything. I finally emailed one of the hiring managers after a week and demanded they send me a copy of my background and credit report (demanding they send it to me as per California law). Within 10 minutes the person replied with a copy of both. Everything was perfect, my credit history, my background, etc. So they must have found another reason at the last minute not to hire me, such as following up with a previous employer that didn't like me or just finding another employee they liked better.

So you may find you don't get the job regardless of a good or bad credit report. Also, they will likely Google your name and research you that way for any negative things about you. And they may be running the background/credit check on several of you that they may be looking at for the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                      I'm so happy for you, hubby just got another rejection letter "we've decided to pursue another candidate"
                      Don't feel too bad fallonedward, I get these all the time, well mostly by email reply from an online submission, but I still laugh when I get those letters in the mail from a company I sent a job app to over a month or two ago.

I know that feeling, you want to write them back and tell them that they suck, but you just take the high road and move on to the next job app. It is frustrating as being rejected, especially when a company may be wrong rejecting you really sucks eggs!!!

Comment

Bankruptcy and disability here. Two strikes against me.
                        Last edited by carlsbadmike; 02-02-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                          Don't feel too bad fallonedward, I get these all the time, well mostly by email reply from an online submission, but I still laugh when I get those letters in the mail from a company I sent a job app to over a month or two ago.

I know that feeling, you want to write them back and tell them that they suck, but you just take the high road and move on to the next job app. It is frustrating as being rejected, especially when a company may be wrong rejecting you really sucks eggs!!!

Hubby has been taking the high road but its been 11 very long months and are scraping the barrel for money at this point to pay the bills

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                            Hubby has been taking the high road but its been 11 very long months and are scraping the barrel for money at this point to pay the bills
                            It's very important that something be on his resume for part of that 11 months so that he is not being weeded out due to length of unemployment. Even if you put volunteer work, school or "consulting" on there to cover part of that 11 months, make sure his resume minimizes the time of unemployment. (honestly of course). Consulting can be anything he has done for anyone in the last 11 months to help them out.
                            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                              It's very important that something be on his resume for part of that 11 months so that he is not being weeded out due to length of unemployment. Even if you put volunteer work, school or "consulting" on there to cover part of that 11 months, make sure his resume minimizes the time of unemployment. (honestly of course). Consulting can be anything he has done for anyone in the last 11 months to help them out.
                              BTS, thanks for the info, I will pass this on to hubby

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X