top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A kind hearted trustee in CA gave me tax refunds AND stimulus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A kind hearted trustee in CA gave me tax refunds AND stimulus!

This is my first post!

After reading what could be called "horror" stories about trustees taking tiny tax refunds away in no asset bankruptcies from unemployed single moms with 3 kids (I'm not naming names, but it seems to be most prevelant in Nevada...) I thought the forum should have the opportunity to hear about my experience.

I filed my own Chapter 7 without an attorney. I did this entirely due to my lack of funds. I had to borrow the money from my boyfriend to pay the first installment of the filing fee for my Chapter 7 after my petition to have my filing fee waived was denied by the judge.

I had my 341 on April 30th and after waiting for all the other filers who had attorneys, much to my surprise, I was LAST to be called by the trustee and the only person on the calendar who was without an attorney.

For two hours before he called my name, I watched the trustee hammer off questions and continue cases. I was relieved to find out that not one creditor had shown up to "confront" any creditor, including myself. Although 90% of the debt on my petition was from medical bills I had feared all the doctors I had stiffed would show up to yell at me. Anyway...

As nervous as I was, I must of approached the table with a big smile, because he commented on how lovely my smile was before I even sat down. After I submitted my ID and SS card, he asked me if anyone had helped me prepare my petition and schedules, and I answered no. Then he advised me that I had filled them out incorrectly, in a very polite and non-threatening manner, and advised me that I needed to correct Schedules B, C and F. He then proceeded to give me specific instructions on how to exempt my property, tax refunds and stimulus payments so that I could keep everything. He then informed me that he would not continue my case because I would not be changing any of the information on my schedules, just correcting the way I completed the schedules.

I left my 341 and made my corrections to my schedules over the next 3 days. I filed the documents with the court and served the trustee with his paperwork.

Two days ago, I received my federal tax refund. Not much, but nice to have when gas is $4.00 a gallon and I've been on unemployment since January. So I call the trustee's office and leave a message asking for clarification of whether or not I am able to keep my refund.

Today, he calls me back and tells me "You go ahead and keep that check, young lady. Please don't spend all of it. Make sure you save at least some of it in your savings account. And when you get your stimulus payment, don't bother calling me, you can keep that too. I just don't want to ever see you in bankruptcy court again."

I thanked him for being so nice and for walking me through the process during my 341, and for giving me the opportunity to correct my mistakes on the schedules. I don't know how I got so lucky, but since he gave me this check I'm not going to cash it right away. I don't want to waste the money so I'm going to hold off doing anything with it.

I still have some time to go before I'm discharged, but I still feel lucky and positive about my experience.

I wish everyone on this forum could be as lucky as me. God bless!
    I Filed Chapter 7 Without an Attorney-I Don't Reccomend It!

What county are you in?

Comment

Congrats on that...surely a blessing!

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
        What county are you in?
        I'm in San Diego County.
        I Filed Chapter 7 Without an Attorney-I Don't Reccomend It!

Comment

So am I. My attorney told me that refunds and stimulus were safe.

Originally posted by smgr619 View Post
          I'm in San Diego County.

Comment

So happy that your trustee was so kind to you and willing to help you fix your form mistakes! If only all trustees would be as kind as yours was to you. Unfortunately your trustee experience is not the norm Thanks for sharing your wonderful 341 story with us!
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I smile goes a long way!!!
              Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

do you remember what you did to keep the refunds? where on the forms did you put it? got my refunds and stimulus taken and would like to ammend forms to include them but don't know where to put it.

DB
                Chapter 7 filed 3/31/08
                341 5/12/08
                Last day for objection 7/11/08
                AUTOMATIC ORDER DISCHARGING DEBTOR 7/15/08 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Are you in CA?

Originally posted by deafbroke View Post
                  do you remember what you did to keep the refunds? where on the forms did you put it? got my refunds and stimulus taken and would like to ammend forms to include them but don't know where to put it.

DB

Comment

Congratulations smgr619. Thanks for sharing your story, it helps the rest of us feel better.

Our own 341 was okay. Our Trustee, according to our attny "is one of the better ones". I have heard of some that can be pure mean. There was a lady that was interviewed ahead of us that was doing her filing herself. The Trustee had to stop her almost immediately. I don't remember now whether her case was continued or if she was told she had to start over. I think she had to start over. Her main problem from the start was that she had divorced and her current name was different from any kind of ID that she produced. The Trustee was kind in that he explained what she needed to do. But through it all he strongly suggested that she get an attny.

This is the same lady that I have mentioned in other threads that was instructed specifically NOT to spend her stimulus check without checking with the Trustee first.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by deafbroke View Post

DB
                      Depends on what state you're in.
                      I assume she used the Homestead exemption in Calif. (without a home to protect) to protect the monies.
                      <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
                      FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I don't know about the OP, but I am using the homestead exemption.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X