top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just called a lawyer and he said he wont take me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just called a lawyer and he said he wont take me...

WTF....I just called a lawyer and requested a consult. He asked me about why i am filing etc. I told him I was looking to file pro se since I don't have the $$ for a lawyer and then he asked why I was wasting his time!!! I said, "well i was hoping to just speak with you so I know what I need to do since I am still very unsure," He said that he doesnt feed his kids and pay his mortgage by giving "free advice." Was I a complete idiot for mentioning I wanted to file pro se? I am just in shock....

Yes ! You might want to rethink filing pro se.
    It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

If your confident you can file Pro Se.. go for it. My thought was.. Do I want to have a professional do this for me and reduce an already stressful situation? The amount of time spent filing Pro Se you could use to find a competent attorney.

I think he was somewhat right in his response to you. I wouldn't go to car dealer and tell them right up front I am not going to buy from you. However, I would like you to tell me everything about this particular vehicle.

Get free consults.. don't tell them your filing Pro Se.

Comment

At the very least, you should reconsider TELLING someone that you want to file pro se. Honestly, why would he take the time to see you if he has no hope of getting your business. He is an attorney to make a living and the free consultation, if nothing else, is an audition with potential clients for them to choose him. Why would he spend his time with you if you don't have any intention of choosing him??

You can feel free to consult with other attorneys, don't go with them and just make them think you chose someone else.....keep the pro se thing a secret

Comment

Never go to any court w/o an Atty, just common sense really.
          Filed Chapter 7 10-2008
          341 Meeting 12-2008
          DISCHARGED 2-2009

Comment

The reason I didnt lie to him and tell him I wanted to be represented is because I didnt want to waste his time and mine with a consult and lead him on thinking I was going to go with him. I only asked him the one question regarding my roommates income. I thought I did the right thing by being up front. I just dont know how else I am supposed to find out what I need to do without lying to an attorney about filing pro se.

Comment

Most cities have a free legal advice telephone number or group that you can ask. Or, use GOOGLE. It takes time sometimes to find the right page, but the answer that you need is almost always out there somewhere.

Regardless of what information you need, it is never right to expect something for free from a professional. And it doesn't matter what that professional does: sales, attorney, engineer... they all rightfully expect to be paid for their time and knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
                The reason I didnt lie to him and tell him I wanted to be represented is because I didnt want to waste his time and mine with a consult and lead him on thinking I was going to go with him. I only asked him the one question regarding my roommates income. I thought I did the right thing by being up front. I just dont know how else I am supposed to find out what I need to do without lying to an attorney about filing pro se.

A consultation usually consists of the attorney reviewing your assets and bills and advising you of what you can and cannot do as to filing. The attorney does not sit down and explain how to file documents or what needs to be filled out on certain documents or, basically, hardly any information that will advise you have to file your own BK. Attorneys do not give free legal advice - they give a free initial "consultation" which consists of a "consult" with you as to your present situation. What you decide to do from there is your own choice; retain an attorney or file pro se.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Yes, It is your intent to file PRO SE. What happens if you go in for a free consultation and are amazed by the attorney.. Then you find out he is flexible in terms of payment. What happens if you tell him you have been considering filing Pro Se during the consultation and he names 15 reasons not to do it.

The first reason being his experience with the local trustee and how they rip into Pro Se filers. If you find an attorney you like you can always refer someone else as a thank you. I am also of the same thinking of you. I told my attorneys that I was meeting with 3-5 attorneys.

Again, we never know what events could turn around after discussing your situation.

Just a thought .. good luck

Comment

That would be like me grooming a dog for free just so they can see how it's done and do it themselves. I agree with the attorney!

Comment

As a pro se filer, I can tell you this. Having now been confirmed. Having made 20 objections on 46 claims. Having sustained 16 of those objections. Having filed two motions to value and having one granted. Having filed a motion to strip a second from my homestead, and having that granted. Having had to deal with 3 objections to confirmation (one was old and moot), and having all of them overruled (denied). Having 1 motion for relief from stay on my homestead and having it denied. Having written 3 Orders on my own and having the Judge sign them. And, having negotiated two agreed orders with the creditor's attorneys...

Let me tell you this...

It cost me a lot of money. I'm reading right from my expense report... I spent $577.29 in postage, certified mailings, overnight and one appraisal. I spent 4 days away from work to attend hearings (which if I had a lawyer I wouldn't). Not to get into how much I make, but those 4 days (even if it was vacation days) were worth more than $2,000.

I've spent over $300 on PACER as well.

Add that up... $2,877.29 and we are only scratching the surface. I spent many many many hours researching and worrying as well. If I had to pay for my time, the bill would be over $5,000.

So, I ended up spending as much as the attorney would have charged me (which was $2,800 up front and the rest in Plan).

Strange, huh?

In any event, you can file Pro Se and be successful. However, it takes a level of dedication and tenacity and diligence that most people just can't muster, while trying to maintain a household with children, work, and keep it cool!

In the end... you'll hopefully have a confirmed Plan which you can work with and is manageable. I feel my Plan is perfect for me. I didn't give away anything. (I even used a $225/month additional fuel expense. Somethings not even the lawyers catch and put in Plan!)

As for your issue with the lawyer. You should have truthfully told him that you're looking for a lawyer, that you don't have a lot of money, and hope that you are able to use an attorney rather than be forced into trying to do it pro se. That would have probably made him more at ease.
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
                        WTF....I just called a lawyer and requested a consult. He asked me about why i am filing etc. I told him I was looking to file pro se since I don't have the $$ for a lawyer and then he asked why I was wasting his time!!! I said, "well i was hoping to just speak with you so I know what I need to do since I am still very unsure," He said that he doesnt feed his kids and pay his mortgage by giving "free advice." Was I a complete idiot for mentioning I wanted to file pro se? I am just in shock....

If I was the Attorney...Honestly I would have said the same thing. If He gave everyone free advice He may end up filing his own BK
                        BTW anything I say here is just me yapping based on my experience. Your milage may vary.

Comment

Sorry but LMAO! Try not being so honest next time. Don't tell them you intend to file pro-se.
                          Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                          341 July 1, 2008
                          Discharged September 4, 2008
                          Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Would you call a doctor at random (not your regular family physician) and tell him/her that you are planning to medicate yourself for an illness, and could they please give you some free advice over the phone as to what dosage to take? Would you expect an answer? Attorney's spend 4 years in college then another 3 years in law school, take board exams, etc., and you think that despite their hundred thousand dollar plus they've spent getting trained that they're going to provide free advice to anyone who calls them up telling them that they have no intention of hiring them, they just had one legal question? To use your own words... "WTF"
                            Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                            Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

LOL. OK, I get it. Im an idiot. I didn't ask him more than 1 question. I wasn't going to ask him like a hundred million things. But I guess I was stupid. I don't really see the point of using an attorney since I dont have any assets, I'm not being sued, I don't have a house being foreclosed on etc. I thought most no-asset individuals filed Pro Se since there is nothing that needs to be "fought." I f I had the $$ I would get an attorney anyways because it is confusing as it is. Oh and I told him I preferred to file Pro Se. Not that that was what I was going to do. Not that it matters though lol.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X