top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad news from our attorney (or why we should have planned ahead for BK!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad news from our attorney (or why we should have planned ahead for BK!)

Well, my attorney just contacted me saying the UST office is not willing to set up a (preemptive) meeting to discuss our CH 7 before they filed presumption of abuse. They said to our attorney "Frankly, these people went on vacation, went out to eat many times and the wife is attending college voluntarily, so we are firm on our position".

The attorney said in the 18 years he has been involved in BK cases he has never heard them talk like this. He also spoke with the other attorneys in his firm & his group of lawyer friends and all of them are saying that our district is getting really tough on cases and picking apart each and every detail.

We did take 2 trips (one in July, one in early Sept), each trip was less than 1K in spending and we paid for the expenses out of our bank account, not a CC that is included in the BK. However, we did use a CC for a cash advance to our checking, then used that to pay off a CC around the time of the trip so they are stating we used it for our trip. The cash advance was at a lower rate than the other card, so it was helpful to us and we paid the exact amt of the transfer to pay off the other card--ugh!

And yes, we do go out to eat about once a week, once in a while 2xs a week. This all ended when my DH lost his OT at work and made it impossible to pay our bills.

Lastly, yeah I am going to community college to become an RN and have 2 semesters left before I graduate. I didn't know that trying to better myself and eventually help our financial situation is something that would hurt me in BK.

My attorney is great, I have to say, he is trying to stay upbeat about the BK proceedings but he did say that we are on the road to having a CH 13 instead of the 7 we filed. He said because we have leftover income on schedule J (199/mth) that we need to meet to set up a CH 13 payback to see if the trustees are willing to approve that. If we pay 207.84/mth for 60 months that will cover 15% of our debt so I have no idea if that is something that the UST will even entertain. So I'm sure I'll be over on the 13 board asking lots of questions.

Short story is, I wish I had found this website back in Sept, instead of December--it may have made a world of difference, it may not have but planning ahead for BK could have saved us from the turmoil we've been through since mid-November and who knows how long before things are settled.

Karen
    Last edited by welovedis; 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM. Reason: more info
    11/18/08 filed CH 7; 341: 12/11/09, cont'd to 01/06/09
    03/21/09 341 hearing for CH 13
    04/27/09 Confirmation hearing for CH 13
    $199/mth for 60 months + $9K 2008 income tax refund

karen

I am so sorry you are going through this? when did you file again.... I find it amazing they mention your trips..... how many months before your filing were thr trips.i am sorry but for me, I decided within 2 weeks to file bankruptcy and the only reason I waited for the 90 days was so i had no charges on my card, so if i twas before the 90 days of filing they cannot be sure you already knew you were going to file. A lot of people file because of bad decisions and continuing to spend knowing they are over their heads... is it an option for you to just ask for it to be dismissed and file again later down the road?? would a 13 be very expensive for you? if you only have 199 left per month maybe they could do a plan of arpund 150 per month??

good luck
    B x
    filed Ch 7 Oct 31st 2008.
    341 Dec 10th 2008.
    DiSCHARGED Feb 10th 2009

Comment

I am so sorry you are going through this? when did you file again.... I find it amazing they mention your trips..... how many months before your filing were thr trips.i am sorry but for me, I decided within 2 weeks to file bankruptcy and the only reason I waited for the 90 days was so i had no charges on my card, so if i twas before the 90 days of filing they cannot be sure you already knew you were going to file. A lot of people file because of bad decisions and continuing to spend knowing they are over their heads... is it an option for you to just ask for it to be dismissed and file again later down the road?? would a 13 be very expensive for you? if you only have 199 left per month maybe they could do a plan of arpund 150 per month??
      We filed Nov 18, our 341 was held 12/11 and the BKT continued it to today (ironically) unless he received some additional paperwork (which he got so no meeting today).

We took one trip in July, another on Labor Day weekend and neither was charged on the CCs. We didn't use any of our CCs for more than 90 days before we filed anyway--we weren't planning on filing at all until my DH lost his OT in Sept.

I don't know about dismissing and refiling, I think we would lose the $$ we paid the lawyer and I cannot (physically, emotionally) take this any longer. I think it is going to be in our best interest to try to find a solution with a CH 13 plan that will appeal to the UST at this point.

Our attorney charges a flat rate and he said that even if the case resolves to a CH 13 we would not owe any additional money to him--that's the good news I guess!

Comment

i know

the stress is horrible! I take it your over median...? yes it may be best to try and get a good 13 deal if the payments are small.. did you leave anything out of your sch J...... you listed all your bills right? it may be worth combing over that to see if you have claimed everything you can....

good luck!
        B x
        filed Ch 7 Oct 31st 2008.
        341 Dec 10th 2008.
        DiSCHARGED Feb 10th 2009

Comment

Looks/sounds like that this particular trustee is a creditor friendly/anti consumer individual who might be a stockholder in some of those companies that were included in your filing.
          There should really be further investigations into these trustees and any individual wanting to become a trustee to weed out bad apples/personal interest in any creditor.

Comment

Originally posted by B65 View Post
            the stress is horrible! I take it your over median...? yes it may be best to try and get a good 13 deal if the payments are small.. did you leave anything out of your sch J...... you listed all your bills right? it may be worth combing over that to see if you have claimed everything you can....

good luck!
            Yes, Over the median D/T DH's OT from previous months (which he no longer can get). We went over our Sch J and we did notice that our medical amt is less than we anticipate, but right now we aren't sure what to do. We are going to bring last year's bills (medical) and this year's new insurance plan with us when we meet with the attorney. We are over the normal amt for transportation because when we filed the gas prices were around $4/gallon, now they are $1.75 here. And we drive over 550 miles a week just to work & school, not including anything else so that was a big part of our transportation cost ($425/mth). The UST that amt was "ridiculous". Our attorney told her that he was appalled that she was state that and we have receipts to back it up.

And yes, it seems like we are dealing with a particularly hard-a**ed UST!

Comment

I am sooo sorry to hear that you're having trouble. It really doesn't seem fair given your situation. As B65 said, is it not possible for you to wait 6 months until the extra income drops off?

Comment

Wow! That could be me! Please keep us posted on the outcome...
                Filed CH 7 05/06/09
                341 06/12/09
                Last day for objections 08/11/09
                Discharged and CLOSED!! 08/28/09

Comment

How did they know you went on a couple trips if you didn't use your credit cards?
                  Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                  341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                  Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Don't worry about your 15% payback. That will be worked out later. Some Trustees are itching to get people in Chapter 13s.

I just saw a newspiece on CNN which stated that despite Congress' attempt to keep people from actually filing, Bankruptcy filings went form some 800,000 in 2007 to over 1,000,000 in 2008. they are saying that people have learned how to "work" the system now that the BAPCPA changes are almost all litigated now. Lawyers and debtors are confident in filing Chapter 7s now.

You can bet that the U.S. Trustee Program sent some memo out to say be tougher and push more into Chapter 13. I'm sorry that you were caught in the crossfire.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hi Karen,

Sorry you are going through this mess. Your UST sounds like he is out for blood. What state do you live in? I ask because we also stated over the allowable expense for our transportation (I filled out the paperwork when gas was $4.50/gallon) and I put down $500 in gas alone! We are a ch 13 case though...
                      Anyway, you sound like you have a great attorney, so hang in there... ;)
                      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Jeez - and our gov't can give billions out to greedy wall streeters. This country is going to hell and we are the one's who pay for it one way or another.

This is a predicament....because once you start working as a nurse, you will be making more money and then the Trustee will increase your payments (assuming they go ahead and push you into a 13). And you don't want to not work after all the schooling. And you can bet, if they are being this tough - they are betting that you will be working when you finish school.
                        Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                        341 July 1, 2008
                        Discharged September 4, 2008
                        Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by magyar123 View Post
                          Looks/sounds like that this particular trustee is a creditor friendly/anti consumer individual who might be a stockholder in some of those companies that were included in your filing.
                          There should really be further investigations into these trustees and any individual wanting to become a trustee to weed out bad apples/personal interest in any creditor.
                          Note - it is the Trustee's job to ensure creditor's be paid as much as possible and for them to be in their position, there can be no conflicts of interest. Just as other executives/professionals usually cannot hold stock or have any interest in clients of the company they work for. Believe it or not, a Trustee is just doing his/her job. Just think of all the stockholders all over the US being slammed by the huge number of business and personal bankruptcies. You can't blame the trustee for that...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by relief13035 View Post
                            How did they know you went on a couple trips if you didn't use your credit cards?
                            Because they saw it on our bank statement, we used out bank card (debit) so each transaction (hotel, food, gas) showed on the statement.

Comment

Originally posted by danaf View Post
                              Jeez - and our gov't can give billions out to greedy wall streeters. This country is going to hell and we are the one's who pay for it one way or another.

This is a predicament....because once you start working as a nurse, you will be making more money and then the Trustee will increase your payments (assuming they go ahead and push you into a 13). And you don't want to not work after all the schooling. And you can bet, if they are being this tough - they are betting that you will be working when you finish school.
                              Right, I asked about that on the CH 13 and understand that my increased income will likely increase our payments. DH is so frustrated right now. He can work one OT shift per week (1 in one dept for 4 hours, next week in another dept for 6 hours) and he feels like what is the point? We are being completely honest and up-front and are being treated like trash because we went out to eat more often than the UST thinks is appropriate.

I looked back and I counted the times we used went out (we always used the bank card) for all of 2008 and it was 56 times. So yeah, it was at least once per week but I don't think eating out caused us to be in BK trouble. And the most we spent was $86 for dinner on our anniversary, the rest of the times it was close to $25-35.

I'm so frustrated right now but I'm not going to let them drive me loony. I have faith and feel that somehow things will work out, whether it be 7 or 13 we will make it through.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X