Being sued by Citi Financial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being sued by Citi Financial

So my last payment to Citi Financial was January. They filed lawsuit against me Friday and the court date is March 10th. That seems really soon. I cannot believe that they sued me on the 30th day of being late on payment. They are scum.

I am still short 300 for the lawyer to pay him in full to have the Chapter 7 filed. I will not have the money for 2 more weeks.
    What happens if I do not file the Chapter 7 by the 10th of March?

Do I go to court then?

I finally called back Citi and told them I retained a lawyer. I had not done this before since I do not want my credit union to know until I actually file. I need to protect my car!!

Advice please!!!

AFAIK

In case you do not show up in court, they will get a default judgment against you. Then they will have to file to enter and execute the judgment. This should give you much more time to decide on when you want to file.

best

Comment

Originally posted by dealdas View Post
      AFAIK

In case you do not show up in court, they will get a default judgment against you. Then they will have to file to enter and execute the judgment. This should give you much more time to decide on when you want to file.

best
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
        Under any circumstances, you DO NOT want any kind of Judgment. Go to Court. There is much to do before you get a trial. Since you do owe them, dispute the amount to stall them off. Also state in Court you have addressed a bk lawyer, give name phone etc. at that time only. This stalls it more. Tell the Judge you will be filing and the reason why is you don’t have enough money. (Why the hell you think I can’t pay for the car? “I got no money”). An understanding Judge may allow an extension until you can “afford” a lawyer for this case, [wink, wink, nudge, nudge] Judges are not all ogres. ‘Hub
        My ex was sued by Chase,

~Chase filed suit in June 08,
        ~Served in July 08,
        ~pre trial hearing in Oct 08,
        ~Ex showed up got a 2 week continuance.
        ~2nd pre-trial hearing he no-showed as pr BK lawyers suggestion
        ~A default judgment was entered in November 08.
        ~Filed BK7 in late November, BK attorney had the judgment vacated within a day. no biggie.

If you are going to file within the next 6 months I wouldn't sweat a judgment. If my ex had known the power of the automatic stay and the simplicity of having a judgment vacated post CH7 filing, he would not have wasted a 1/2 day off of work and time/stress worrying. It was pretty neat seeing the process work.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bshinyandnew View Post
          My ex was sued by Chase,

~Chase filed suit in June 08,
          ~Served in July 08,
          ~pre trial hearing in Oct 08,
          ~Ex showed up got a 2 week continuance.
          ~2nd pre-trial hearing he no-showed as pr BK lawyers suggestion
          ~A default judgment was entered in November 08.
          ~Filed BK7 in late November, BK attorney had the judgment vacated within a day. no biggie.

If you are going to file within the next 6 months I wouldn't sweat a judgment. If my ex had known the power of the automatic stay and the simplicity of having a judgment vacated post CH7 filing, he would not have wasted a 1/2 day off of work and time/stress worrying. It was pretty neat seeing the process work.
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

That does seem fast. You are absolutely sure it is a summons for a judgment?

Usually you have 20 days to respond, then they have to get a judgment and a levy or garnishment in place which will take up more time.

I would ignore it, let them proceed, file and then just vacate the judgment in BK.

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
              That does seem fast. You are absolutely sure it is a summons for a judgment?

Usually you have 20 days to respond, then they have to get a judgment and a levy or garnishment in place which will take up more time.

I would ignore it, let them proceed, file and then just vacate the judgment in BK.
              it is fast because Citi Financial sets up local branches so they can file on the 30th day with the district magistrate. I checked and it is registered but I have not been served yet. I am sure they will serve me at work to make me look bad. I am going to have to wait til monday to talk to my lawyer. I cannot afford to pay him more cuz of this. I have no money ..none. I am now on pills due to the stress of this thing plus facing layoff at work.

Comment

Originally posted by inpain66 View Post
                So my last payment to Citi Financial was January. They filed lawsuit against me Friday and the court date is March 10th. That seems really soon. I cannot believe that they sued me on the 30th day of being late on payment. They are scum.

I am still short 300 for the lawyer to pay him in full to have the Chapter 7 filed. I will not have the money for 2 more weeks.
                What happens if I do not file the Chapter 7 by the 10th of March?

Do I go to court then?

I finally called back Citi and told them I retained a lawyer. I had not done this before since I do not want my credit union to know until I actually file. I need to protect my car!!

Advice please!!!
                Nope you don't go to court you don't send anymore money and you don't worry about it. the judgments if there really are any will be vacated by your discharge. This does seem fast unbelievably fast they don't even charge off for 90 days.
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                  Nope you don't go to court you don't send anymore money and you don't worry about it. the judgments if there really are any will be vacated by your discharge. This does seem fast unbelievably fast they don't even charge off for 90 days.
                  yeah. It still shows current on my credit report as of last week yet they are suing me. I think it is because of the economy that these companies are moving so fast now. I love how they got bailout money too. They are scum.

Comment

i am clueless to everything but wanted to send ya a vote of confidence on the scum part.
                    Read the Blog: My Personal Experience With Bankruptcy

Comment

Originally posted by inpain66 View Post
                      yeah. It still shows current on my credit report as of last week yet they are suing me. I think it is because of the economy that these companies are moving so fast now. I love how they got bailout money too. They are scum.
                      what kind of loan was this and how much owed ?? I have several Citi accounts.
                      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Wow that sucks. It took Citi 8 months and 3 CA's to sue me. When the debts charged off after 6 months they sent my accounts out to the CA's and last CA was a scum bag law firm. After 30 days is very quick.

Comment

Okay ..this thread has me freaking out. I owe Citi over 25 k and will miss my first payment at the end of this month. I have been reading here and everything I have read says that CC companies charge off after 90 days and then it goes to collections and at around the 6 month mark or longer you get sued.
                          I was thinking of waiting to file for a few months but reading stuff like this scares me enough to just get the whole thing over with as soon as possible.

Comment

I have a Citi CC which I did not pay in Dec, Jan or now, Feb. They called me a few times but nothing else. Last time I gave them Attorneys name and number and have not heard from them. - jb
                            jb - A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes.
                            Filed - 2/27/09
                            341 - 4/3/09
                            Discharged - 6/20/2009

Comment

Citi Financial is able to move fast since they set up local branches. I took out a 6k personal loan with them. They are jerks and I never should have taken the loan. The interest on the loan was 21% but at the time I was so in need of cash to get other bills in order I just signed not thinking.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X