Is this a scare tactic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a scare tactic?

Quick question: I have friend who is preparing to sign ch7 bk papers next week. Today she recd a call from a collection agency who told her since the debt she owed was less than $500 (it's an unsecured $160 loan to a cash advance company B&L Marketing) that that debt couldnt be discharged under Nebraska BK law. Any illumination from you fine folks.??...I say they are full of it and this a scare tactic....

thanks as always....

dwc
    9/15/08 First meeting with atty;10/30/08 Retainer/filing fee paid; 11/4/08 Signing day;11/11/08 Filing Day; 12/11/08 341 @ 830am..went FAST...hello 60 Day Club 2/18/09 DISCHARGE !! 2/23/09 CLOSED

Liar liar pants on fire!!!

Comment

Anyone working at a collection agency and making collection phone calls is working for commission - they will tell you anything hoping to get you to pay so they can make some money themselves.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

That is absolutely false. There's nothing in the BK code which states that, and it is U.S. Bankruptcy Code which determines dischargeability... not underlying non-bankruptcy State law.

Strange people. Anyhow, B&L is just lying to her. I'd probably threaten B&L, the next time, with a TILA violation and/or actually file one. These scare tactics are illegal.

The only way it could be non-dischargeable, is if it was a criminal penalty or fine, under State law.

At least, that's my read.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Utterly false ... and despicable.

Comment

It's a scare tactic, list them and they will go away
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

My friend went to her bk7 signing this afternoon and she asked her atty about this scare tactic...and the atty rolled her eyes and said this is what we call a "CBS" situation....and my friend said, is that bad? "No, we call it Creditor Bull Shit"....at any rate, my friend is signed and the filing takes place tommorow....Im excited for her, just to see that this is going to give her a whole new outlook on life ! thanks all....will update after the 341...

dwc
              9/15/08 First meeting with atty;10/30/08 Retainer/filing fee paid; 11/4/08 Signing day;11/11/08 Filing Day; 12/11/08 341 @ 830am..went FAST...hello 60 Day Club 2/18/09 DISCHARGE !! 2/23/09 CLOSED

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X