The Debtmonster is ticked off and changing attorneys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Debtmonster is ticked off and changing attorneys

I got screwed by the attorney I paid for up north. She charged me extra for the means test in the $3400 she charged me. Now she wants another $600 for the tons of creditors/CA's I have. I no longer need to do the $500 means test that she factored into the price and now she totally denies me the price reduction and still wants $600 more. F' this. So now the ***** is charging me like $1000 for her current time invested (which is like 1 hour), but she makes it more dramatic acting like a few 2 and 3 minute phone calls take HOURS of time. She's SO FULL OF IT.

So now I have to go see ANOTHER NEW bankruptcy lawyer tomorrow. The ones in South Florida are like 1/2 the price that the one in Ocala was. I am so pissed off today like you have no idea. Now I have to wait for a refund from her and just take whatever she feels like giving me out of the $3800 I gave her so far.

Today has REALLY sucked. Our dryer broke and we have no money to fix it. Our bank account has like $10-20 bucks in it and I won't see another dime until July 15th. We have no credit to fall back on and have to bug relatives to get food. Suicide is looking SO GOOD right now. I am in a super deep depression right now. What I need is FREE meds!! I wish I could just smoke pot or do LSD or SOMETHING to get out of this massive depression right now... and I don't even do drugs! But TODAY, I WANT TO START!!

All I can tell is is that I have dealt with a hoard of attorneys in my life.
    Many are flat out crooks. They know the law and will us it to their advantage.
    Next time get it in writing what they want to do a package and make them stick to it.
    Attorneys as far as I am concerned for the most part are no season, no limit.

Comment

debtmonster, now that you say it... $3,400 for a Chapter 7 is a lot of money. That's Chapter 13 kind of money. Yes, I would seek greener pastures. I hope you keep your spirit up. This road to a fresh start is full of ups but mostly downs. But, you can make it.

A shady, money-grabbing attorney surely is not what a person needs when they are flat broke. I hope you're able to find a good qualified attorney, as you say, for half the price! Remember you can always go to the State Bar for help with getting the fees back. Have her show you detailed billing too, and justify the bill.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        debtmonster, now that you say it... $3,400 for a Chapter 7 is a lot of money. That's Chapter 13 kind of money. Yes, I would seek greener pastures. I hope you keep your spirit up. This road to a fresh start is full of ups but mostly downs. But, you can make it.
        We're talking like $4500 total by the time she adds all of these extra fees for a married couple going Ch. 7 with like 44 creditors.

Don't they have any $39 dollar bankruptcy software that works identical to Intuit's Turbo Tax that you can just do yourself? Something that audits all of the forms, etc? Turbo Tax is so easy. Why can't filing bankruptcy be just as easy?

So tomorrow I will have to see how much this other bankruptcy lawyer will charge me. I'll have to bring a list of all of my creditors, amounts, etc.

If he won't give me a good deal, then I will just have to not file and keep running. I'll have to wait for the Statutes of Limitations on all of the creditors if they don't make this bankruptcy easy for me. This is getting to be too stressful and this is the exact reason why I have not filed BK before in over 15 years. I should have filed in like 1994 and never did. But now with like $350,000 in total debts, I've been wanting to do it.

Comment

You can file yourself and the court clerk will help you in most cases.
          We found around here that most attorneys wanted around $4500 for a Chapter 7 so we shopped.
          We got ours done for $1500 total. The attorney was not perfect, but he did not do a bad job overall.

Comment

Sounds like the "Debtmonster" is understandably breathing fire!

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
            I got screwed by the attorney I paid for up north. She charged me extra for the means test in the $3400 she charged me. Now she wants another $600 for the tons of creditors/CA's I have. I no longer need to do the $500 means test that she factored into the price and now she totally denies me the price reduction and still wants $600 more. F' this. So now the ***** is charging me like $1000 for her current time invested (which is like 1 hour), but she makes it more dramatic acting like a few 2 and 3 minute phone calls take HOURS of time. She's SO FULL OF IT.

So now I have to go see ANOTHER NEW bankruptcy lawyer tomorrow. The ones in South Florida are like 1/2 the price that the one in Ocala was. I am so pissed off today like you have no idea. Now I have to wait for a refund from her and just take whatever she feels like giving me out of the $3800 I gave her so far.

Today has REALLY sucked. Our dryer broke and we have no money to fix it. Our bank account has like $10-20 bucks in it and I won't see another dime until July 15th. We have no credit to fall back on and have to bug relatives to get food. Suicide is looking SO GOOD right now. I am in a super deep depression right now. What I need is FREE meds!! I wish I could just smoke pot or do LSD or SOMETHING to get out of this massive depression right now... and I don't even do drugs! But TODAY, I WANT TO START!!
            Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
            Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
            Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by kvangild View Post
              Sounds like the "Debtmonster" is understandably breathing fire!
              Damned, Skippy I am!

Comment

My Chapter 7 cost $1500 plus the $299 filing fee. I can't imagine paying that much.
                Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by relief13035 View Post
                  My Chapter 7 cost $1500 plus the $299 filing fee. I can't imagine paying that much.
                  That's why I am BOILING mad. Was that $1500 for single or married?

Comment

Just wanted to state that we (married) paid $2,000 plus $299 filing fee. My attorney so far has been great. She has spent so much time with us and all of my questions that I wonder how she made money on us.
                    5/29/09 ~ filed chapter 7
                    7/13/09 ~ 341 meeting
                    10/8/09 ~ Discharged!!!
                    10/27/09 ~ Closed!!!

Comment

We paid $1200 which included filing fees.
                      Filed 5/27/09
                      341 7/2/09
                      341 held
                      Discharge and closed 9/4/09

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
                        That's why I am BOILING mad. Was that $1500 for single or married?
                        That was for a married couple and $272k worth of debt.
                        Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                        341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                        Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Wow!

What do you guys think about these people?
                          [URL removed by admin]

Looks like I can just submit all of my info to them, they mail me back all the forms. I go to the court house and file myself and forget all of this attorney crap.

Let's see how much this attorney wants from me tomorrow. Otherwise I may have to check out that debtor aid thing.
                          Last edited by HHM; 06-30-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Hey Debt - Just want to say Hang in there. Things will get better. I went thru alot of crap too. I am finally discharged. Its gets better.

I paid 3800.00 for a married couple for a chapter 7.

Goodluck....

Comment

Wow! Ch 7's are $750 where I live at. I couldn't afford to pay what are you paying Debtmonster! I hope you find a cheaper way out!
                              4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                              5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                              7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                              7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X