No announcement yet.

The Debtmonster is ticked off and changing attorneys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were charged about $1500.00 by our attorney, and I agree with HHM. She turned out to be little more than a glorified paper pusher. She gave us no guidance whatever. Had she done so, we could have avoided some of the major mistakes that we made during our BK process.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I'm glad you found you a new person. I do hope it works out for you
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
        Somehow, I have a feeling we are getting only one side of the story
        Yep
        Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
        341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
        Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
          In this forum, you really can't objectively evaluate a persons fee. There are many factors that go into a fee quote. Also, the cheaper attorneys (discount BK attorneys) also tend to limit their service. The fee will depend on geography and complexity of the case. I have seen chapter 7's range from $6,000-$10,000, yes, legitimately. It just depends on the issues. Personally, I think the cheaper attorney's are the ones doing a disservice, because they are doing nothing more than glorified document prep.
          Here is the reason his fee is probably so high..."We're talking like $4500 total by the time she adds all of these extra fees for a married couple going Ch. 7 with like 44 creditors." I think the "44 creditors" probably has something to do with the additional cost. This Chapter 7 is not the norm and more complicated from what is being posted.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
            Don't they have any $39 dollar bankruptcy software that works identical to Intuit's Turbo Tax that you can just do yourself? Something that audits all of the forms, etc? Turbo Tax is so easy. Why can't filing bankruptcy be just as easy?.
            Don't get me started on our BK process.
            My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
            posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Are you certain she is going to give you a refund?
              My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
              posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Glad the second attorney worked out for you. Hang in there.
                Ch 7 filed: 3/30
                341: 5/12
                Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

Originally posted by shabam View Post
                  Are you certain she is going to give you a refund?
                  Yeah, after taking out over $1,000 for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help me. I got scammed BIG TIME by this thief.

I showed the creditors and stuff to the new attorney. 65 people total on the spreadsheet. He still quoted me $2000 + $500 court fees unlike the puta who charged me $4500. She said I will be lucky to get like $2500 or so from what I've paid so far. So I can use this money to pay the new attorney.

The thing is, I want to drag this out as long as possible so I can drive both of our cars for free up to 6-12 months. I can bank all that money some how for a new car in 2010. When you're self-employed, you have other ways of hiding the money that you can't do when you work W2.

Comment

re that last paragraph, now we are getting somewhere...

Comment

When you're self-employed, you have other ways of hiding the money that you can't do when you work W2.
                      yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmaggster View Post
                        yikes.
                        Yep!

6-12 months of payment-free driving will give you a long time to save up a hefty down payment post-BK. That makes it a lot easier when you have like $10,000 down vs. $1,000 down. Then you can also get a much better car at the time as well. Instead of buying a used $12,000 car, you can then look at a used $20,000 dollar car with similar payments.

The attorney I spoke with today told me that he had one guy who drove a car for three years and didn't make a payment that entire time. That was mind-blowing.

Comment

Yep!

6-12 months of payment-free driving will give you a long time to save up a hefty down payment post-BK. That makes it a lot easier when you have like $10,000 down vs. $1,000 down. Then you can also get a much better car at the time as well. Instead of buying a used $12,000 car, you can then look at a used $20,000 dollar car with similar payments.

The attorney I spoke with today told me that he had one guy who drove a car for three years and didn't make a payment that entire time. That was mind-blowing.
                          My neice had a Dodge Neon sitting in my driveway for almost a year before me, the bank, and the repo guy finally connected for an appointment, yes an appointment, and he came and got it. She wasn't trying to hide it either, just the bank took it's time.
                          But that is the exception not the norm. Most banks don't let you miss more than 2 or 3 payments before they send out the repo man.

Comment

Originally posted by pookieny View Post
                            My neice had a Dodge Neon sitting in my driveway for almost a year before me, the bank, and the repo guy finally connected for an appointment, yes an appointment, and he came and got it. She wasn't trying to hide it either, just the bank took it's time.
                            But that is the exception not the norm. Most banks don't let you miss more than 2 or 3 payments before they send out the repo man.
                            The last payment I made on my SUV was in January of this year. They can't find it and I haven't been really out trying to hide it. I just haven't living at the house where they are looking for it since I am foreclosing. We moved most of our important stuff out of the house and have been living with in-law's all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by pookieny View Post
                              Wow! It only to Ford Motor Credit 1 day after the 60-day mark to call my husband at 2:30am to ask him to come outside our house and hand over the keys. My husband told him to call back at a decent hour. The jerk stayed outside for a while then proceeded to lay his hand on the horn for a good 30 seconds. It seemed like forever considering it was in the wee hours of the morning. Needless to say the guy never called my husband back. My husband had been trying to get ahold of the collector for Ford, but could not get through. So, we dropped it off at the Ford dealership and told whoever answered the phone at Ford Motor Credit where they could pick it up.
                              5/29/09 ~ filed chapter 7
                              7/13/09 ~ 341 meeting
                              10/8/09 ~ Discharged!!!
                              10/27/09 ~ Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ska View Post
                                Wow! It only to Ford Motor Credit 1 day after the 60-day mark to call my husband at 2:30am to ask him to come outside our house and hand over the keys. My husband told him to call back at a decent hour. The jerk stayed outside for a while then proceeded to lay his hand on the horn for a good 30 seconds. It seemed like forever considering it was in the wee hours of the morning. Needless to say the guy never called my husband back. My husband had been trying to get ahold of the collector for Ford, but could not get through. So, we dropped it off at the Ford dealership and told whoever answered the phone at Ford Motor Credit where they could pick it up.
                                According to my attorney down here, that would never happen. He would fight them to allow me to keep the car for a long time without making the payments. He's done it before. So that basically gives me a free car to drive until I can save up for a new one. That's pretty cool!!

Think of it as a housewife who hasn't had a job and gets a divorce and is entitled to the same lifestyle as before.

I guess it's the same with a car. They know you need one and can't just take it away. So hopefully I will be able to drive my car for free for a good 6 to 12 months while I save up for a new one.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X