Hearing Aids bought with GEMB credit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing Aids bought with GEMB credit...

My oldest son started loosing his hearing in a drastic decline back in the summer of 2007. We ended up getting hearing aids for him and they were purchased using GEMB's "Care Credit Card." This is the only charge ever purchased on this card.

After reviewing their T&Cs it looks like they have a "secured interest" in the hearing aids. My attorney is suggesting I continue to pay for now, that's fine, we're planning to file CH7 at the end of July so that is one payment, due now.

Going forward though, after BK filing, how would this work. I'm guessing it is much like a furniture store card in many respects... If I stop paying after filing, what would their process be in reclaiming the hearing aids? I absolutely would not want to give them back and suppose I could continue to pay the debt if I had to.

Any thoughts on this type of situation?
    07/31/2009 - Filed Chapter 7 Western District NC
    09/02/2009 - 341 Meeting - DONE!
    11/02/2009 - Final date for objections
    11/09/2009 - Discharged & Closed!!!

Hmmmm I don't know. Can they even be sterilized to reuse them? I only ask b/c my grandfather just looked at a set that was $10K. They told him that if they don't work there are no returns on them.
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Hearing aids are a fairly personal device - it's not like they can re-sell it! My guess is you'll be fine. It's not like it's financed through a local biz either, so I think that's in your favor.
      BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Besides, if they came to reposess the device, just call the local news and do a piece on "Banks Bailed Out, Yet take Child's Hearing"... story at 11.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I think you should list it in your bk, then see if the cc disputes the items/hearing aids (don't know if they will, is there even a market for used hearing aids?!?) at that time you should be able to renegotiate the balance due (if it comes to that, I doubt it).

Good Luck!
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I have a GE Money Bank Select Comfort account, my atty said list it as unsecured and let them come at us. Do they want a bed that has been slept on for 2 years?
            Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
            341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
            Discharged: 11/30/2009
            Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
              I have a GE Money Bank Select Comfort account, my atty said list it as unsecured and let them come at us. Do they want a bed that has been slept on for 2 years?
              They can have it! Just make sure you let the animals on the bed before you give it back!
              May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
              May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
              May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

That's what I'm thinking - I'll buy a new bed.
                Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                Discharged: 11/30/2009
                Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

I'm thinking she (the attorney) is playing it safe right now and/or using the "secured" credit as a boost in the means testing... I don't know that for a fact but that is my guess.

I guess my question really is would they need to dispute the item if it is listed as secured or does that listing automatically mean I either redeem, surrender or reaffirm?

I might just be reading to much into the whole deal....

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    Besides, if they came to reposess the device, just call the local news and do a piece on "Banks Bailed Out, Yet take Child's Hearing"... story at 11.
                    Now that would be great story wouldn't it? He is also mentally handicapped. The media would have a field day with that. Given the 22% interest I've been paying on it, I almost feel like doing that now. It's highway robbery.

I seriously doubt there is a 2nd had market for used medial equipment anyway so I'm not sure what good a repo would do for them, besides pure spite.

Comment

Hearing aids can't be re-used. They can be sent to a third-world country but they really have no value once sold here in the US. A buddy of mine who sells them tells me this.

Unsecured, baby
                      7-2-2009 Filed
                      8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                      10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whipster1 View Post
                        Hearing aids can't be re-used. They can be sent to a third-world country but they really have no value once sold here in the US. A buddy of mine who sells them tells me this.

Unsecured, baby
                        I doubt a 3rd world country could do much with these, they are programmed through a USB port @ the audiologist. No manual controls or anything, really nice set actually.

Comment

Actually what my buddy does is once a year go to Mexico or central america and give away theirs and other local companies returns, they re-program them on the spot, after testing the people who got in line in time. My buddy gets a huge tax write off and loads of publicity for his business.
                          7-2-2009 Filed
                          8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                          10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

That is a pretty cool deal. I'll have to check the next time I'm in the ear doc and see if they do that. It's funny, folks with hearing aids are very interested in one anther, just like anything else I guess, but you always know when someone gets a new set. I know of about 5 "old" sets off the top of my head that are collecting dust in a dresser drawer. Would be good to get to be able to pass along a way to donate them to someone who needs them elsewhere.

Comment

I wonder if the lawyer could strip the "lien/secured interest" much like what happens with loans secured by personal property? I would think it does not get any more personal than a hearing aid.
                              Filed 5/27/09
                              341 7/2/09
                              341 held
                              Discharge and closed 9/4/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X