Hearing Aids bought with GEMB credit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick9972 View Post
    I wonder if the lawyer could strip the "lien/secured interest" much like what happens with loans secured by personal property? I would think it does not get any more personal than a hearing aid.
    Very very very excellent point Rick!

brokeasajoke, your attorney should file a Motion to Avoid Lien. In Florida, and probably many other States, "health aids" are exempt! That means that your attorney files that motion and states, basically, that it impairs your State Exemption! Voila, no lien... no longer secured.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I wondered how that works. I'm in NC, we do have an exemption for health aids. I'll run that past her.

Thanks!!!
      07/31/2009 - Filed Chapter 7 Western District NC
      09/02/2009 - 341 Meeting - DONE!
      11/02/2009 - Final date for objections
      11/09/2009 - Discharged & Closed!!!

Comment

I went through GEMB for my glasses through Lenscrafters, just lumped it with all the other unsecured debts, haven't heard a peep. If they really want my bifocals, they can have them, they're a little scratched anyways
        Filed 5/12/09
        341 6/11/09
        discharged 8/11/09
        Closed 8/14/09

Comment

I think paying that bill is a total waste of money, your attorney is probably being overly cautious.
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I'm with catleg on this one. You are wasting your money paying this debt before filing. There is no way, not one possible way that GEMB would come looking for those hearing aids.

List them as unsecured creditors and be done with it.

BTW, what is the balance owed we are talking about here?
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Balance owed is 4000.00. I'm not going to pay it this month... I've never missed a payment, just really stopped paying cc last month/this month. I could really put the money to better use... I have a phone bill due....

Comment

When I stopped paying GEMB, they called relentlessly. Like my attorney says, hold their feet to the fire, call their bluff. They don't want the stuff.

Many years ago (and I don't want to age myself here) I worked for the Avco Finance Legal Department. Back in those days folks would use their household furniture for collateral on lines on credit. When they did BK, some of these branch managers would be so vengeful that they actually wanted to go pick up furniture. I used to think back them how cruel that was. Times have certainly changed from those days when filing was less commonplace.
                Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                Discharged: 11/30/2009
                Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                  Besides, if they came to reposess the device, just call the local news and do a piece on "Banks Bailed Out, Yet take Child's Hearing"... story at 11.
                  Exactly!

I am positive they won't take the hearing aids. I think you will be fine.

Comment

I've heard stories about how relentless GE can be. I guess I'm thinking by the time they really get the phones warmed up, I'll file. I'm planning to file 7/31 so I won't even be 30 days past by then... That's how it is with most of my cc. I just decided mid June to file so that's when I stopped paying. Most everything was paid up to that point so I'm just now getting substantial call volume.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeasajoke View Post
                      Balance owed is 4000.00. I'm not going to pay it this month... I've never missed a payment, just really stopped paying cc last month/this month. I could really put the money to better use... I have a phone bill due....
                      I didn't realize hearing aids are that expensive.

You're still safe. It would cost them quite a bit of money to repossess them and they have zero value to GEMB. My experience with GEMB is they transfer the debt to a third party collection agency relatively quickly. They are much easier to play with as they are bound by the FDCPA.

Yes, I mean play! If you decide to have some fun with these people you can make the whole process go smoother. I'd tell the collector I can't hear what you're saying because I lost my hearing aids.
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

They were over 6000.00 for just the hearing aids. Add on top of that all the testing and stuff that had to be done, it got really expensive really fast. They (doctors) have never been able to tell us how or why he lost his hearing.

Anyway, I guess we all have our sad story that got us where we are, that's mine...

Comment

My daughter wears hearing aids and our health insurance paid 100% of the cost. I'm not sure of your insurance situation but next time your son is due for aids check out your plan, you might be able to get most if not all of it paid.

good luck to you

Comment

The insurance I had at the time wouldn't pay anything on it. What we have now has a 1 time benefit that would cover a majority.

That's a good point. I could use insurance now if GEMB decided to repo them.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X