anyone ever lost their job.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone ever lost their job.....

when filing at chap 7? did your company find out and fire you for it?

There was just this stupid video on yahoo that said "You can't get a job if you have bad credit" That now has me thinking.

Also did any collections people ever call your job and tell them your business?

Thanks

Your employer will never fire you for bk, why should they when they know it's against the law.
    They'll just find something else to fire you for, because of the bk.
    If you file bk and they don't like it they can simply say they're letting you go due to decreased workload, etc.

Thats how I see it. My father was injured at work several years ago, he was best of friends with everyone there, but the injury was due to a poor working condition. The company got in trouble for it, paid for my fathers injury, months later he went back to work and immediately got fired.
    He took it to court, it couldn't be proven that they fired him because of the injury and the fines due to the working conditions.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilhat View Post
      Your employer will never fire you for bk, why should they when they know it's against the law. They'll just find something else to fire you for, because of the bk.
      Exactly. In most "right to work States" it goes both ways. They can fire you with or without cause. They can just find any reason at all to let you go (other than those reasons protected under EEO laws).

Originally posted by TBLTZ
      when filing at chap 7? did your company find out and fire you for it?
      My company knows because I have a Wage Deduction Order that I personally sent to the legal department and exchanged several emails. They would never ever fire me for the BK. All they need to do is think of something else, like job performance. Sheesh... they've laid off thousands in the last 2 years, so they'd have no problem just screaming... no work for me.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If you work for a fairly sizeable company, you would be surprized at the number of your co-workers who have filed BK and or are having their wages garnished.

Comment

Dh's company knows and doesn't care. They can't legally fire you for that but like the others have pointed out all they have to do is find some other reason if they really want to fire you.
          4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
          5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
          7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
          7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

My company knows never fired me still work there.

It is actually illegal to fire someone because they filed bankruptcy. Though as pointed out right to work states are bad in that you can be fired for anything, and I have never met a perfect employee, in essence we all have done something or not done something at work that could get us fired in a right to work state.

The only jobs it can prevent you from being hired are jobs generally where you would need to be bonded if for some reason after bankruptcy you cannot find a bondsman. This includes things like real estate agent, bank etc. However there are people who file bankruptcy and still enter these fields, so it just depends on the company and as I said your ability to be bonded. For jobs with no financial component it should pose not problems of any sort.
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Mrs. worked for the County. Due to our ever going feud and suits with my adversary (the millionaire that hates me) his henchmen his lawyer and computer tech raided her office with a summons to inspect it (her computer) while we were on vacation. They also wrote her boss a letter telling him that she was under investigation for a criminal violation, which was not true.

Soon Mrs. was being made to do menial jobs far below her Master's Degree and was also called on the carpet in a formal "tape recorded and witnessed" verbal reprimand for something she had done for four years. That was go into the parking lot and accept a computer from one of my customers (on rare occasions) so they didn't have to drive miles to get it to me. I insisted on a rebuttal hearing with the same boss and witness. My point was this, she gets 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes in the after noon, and an hour lunch and does not use that time. However go back to the back door and check out the voluminous piles of spent cigarettes and subtract 10 minutes and hour for every smoker there and then reprimand those people. My wife does not smoke. She became so miserable that I insisted on her quitting. You figure, was she fired? I would say she was. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Most people are "at will" employees. That means you can leave your employer for any reason and they can let you go for any reason. Then there are those that are under employment contracts which go into broader details as to what is involved if there is a termination. Many contracts for higher ups in an organization include clauses about bankruptcy and that the employee must notifiy the employer if they should file BK.

The only way around being terminated to have a case is if there is discrimination on the part of the employer (i.e., race, sex, religion, sexual harassment, etc.) and you can prove that discrimination. If one files BK and is let go, one would have to prove beyond a doubt that it was the BK that caused the firing to have a case and not a performance issue or the company letting staff go due to cutbacks, etc. it is difficult to do.

Applying for a job with a BK on your credit reports is an entirely different issue as it can and will prevent one from getting some certain jobs and if it comes down to a competition between certain applicants, the job could go to the applicant without the BK on their record. Of course one would never know about that because the reason stated would be that the other applicant was more suited for the position. Do a search on this forum of the myriad of postings on hiring, employment and BK.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X