last 4 of social on BK petetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last 4 of social on BK petetion

I was looking over the CH7 petition forms as I am planning on filing, and was quite disturbed that you have to put the last 4 digits of your social on there. These days EVERYONE uses the last 4 of your social to verify your identity. Banks, telephone companies, etc. So with my address and last 4 of social off my publicly available petetion, anyone can use the automated phone systems to check my bank account balances, access my phone records, etc.
    Disturbing.

you are right. i worry about that too. in fact, you almost never need your entire social security number. you only need your last 4 digits. scary.

some places will let you replace the last 4 by a password you choose.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Note that there are usually other questions involved besides just asking for the last four digits of one's SS. There is usually always another password or question involved. Lenders, banks, etc. are aware of this and have instituted 2 or 3 questions/passwords to be input/given when accessing an online account or over the phone. My bank requires two now, plus the listing of a photo I have to identify.

Back when we filed in 2002, I was horrified to be able to access all BK filings online through our State website. I could view SS numbers and all sorts of other information. I questioned my lawyer about this (who also knew) and he stated what debtors need to do is write letters to the governor about their SS numbers being able to be viewed on the State Web site (BK court link). Within a year )mid-2003) and all the new privacy law information that went into place during that time, that webisite link was gone.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

You're worried about the last 4 digits? It has only been the last 3-4 years that the U.S. Bankruptcy Court mandated redacting things down to the last 4 digits of the SSN and Creditor Accounts! Everything used to be in its full glory! I had to file a Motion to Redacf or Expunge a Claim because it has my full D.O.B. in full glory.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I'm not too concerned with identity theft. If someone were to steal my identity I think my credit would actually... IMPROVE

Comment

Originally posted by bankruptsee View Post
            I'm not too concerned with identity theft. If someone were to steal my identity I think my credit would actually... IMPROVE
            not concerned about identity theft per se, i am concerned about individuals being able to access account information. I had this happen before, a former landlord to whom I owed money used the last 4 of my social to access my bank account balance to see if I had any money. Many banks only need account # and last 4 of social to access automated account info on the phone. Also, phone account info -T-Mobile for example only needs the last 4 of social to access cell phone records.

Comment

Sorry but that is kind of funny! I don't know what idiot would want me or my dh identity considering our credit score, but if they want it, more power to them! I have actually thought the same thing, they might actually be able to improve our credit score!!! LMAO

I am unsure who would want access to any info from a person in BK, it's not likely their credit score will be any good. To login to any accts I have I never use our ss#, so I think if you have you should change that, use some other number. I believe that can easily be changed on most things.
              Last edited by justplaintired; 07-11-2009, 07:33 PM.
              Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

if someone wanted to steal it he/she already did. people that do that have access to ur full SSN not just the last 4 digit. ask me how I know.....

Comment

LOL! Dh and I joke about that all the time. No one would want our credit!
                  4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                  5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                  7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                  7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by newbeg View Post
                    if someone wanted to steal it he/she already did. people that do that have access to ur full SSN not just the last 4 digit. ask me how I know.....
                    ok, i'll bite: how do you know?
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09
                    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

It's not that you should worry that someone would try to steal your identity for your bad credit, the worry now is to steal your medical identity for your health insurance.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X