So I got a weird phone call on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I got a weird phone call on Saturday

As part of our BK we let dh's truck go back. Before we let it go we cleaned everything out of it and made sure not to leave any personal info in it.

The truck was listed just in dh's name and my name was nowhere on it. Our home phone is listed just in my name and dh's is nowhere on it.

So Saturday this guy calls and leaves a message. He says he lives 4 states away from us and recently bought dh's truck from a dealership there. He was convinced he had the right number. There was no question in his tone whatsoever. He said he's having problems with the truck now and wants to know if dh can help him.

What? How do you think he got our home number and should we talk to him? He's called 3 times since then but I haven't answered.
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Not your problem, guy is fishing.

Comment

Wow. I don't even know what to say. Perhaps he looked up the Bankruptcy and you used your home phone number on it.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Weird...I would answer the call and ask him WHY he thinks it okay to call the former owner of a vehicle?!? What nerve.
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I bought a repo car once from a dealer and in the glove box was the owners manual still there with the name and address written on there of the previous owner.

Are you sure everything was cleaned out? People can find out people's address so fast now on the internet.

Comment

Yes we couldn't even find the owner's manual. When they picked it up the glove box was empty.
            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

If this was a legitimate call, my best guess is this person managed to find some type of personal information in the vehicle (in the owner's manual or on a receipt of some type...my name, address, and phone info are listed on oil and tire receipts). I recently purchased a used vehicle from a dealership and discovered information on the former owner in the owner's manual. Within the owner's manual exists a maintenance record which documents the original owner's name and address along with dealerships that serviced the car. Understandably, your husband's name isn't on the phone. Perhaps this person found your address and this led him to your phone number?

Regardless, I'd feel uncomfortable. Three phone calls? No good!!
              *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

Originally posted by aces67 View Post
                As part of our BK we let dh's truck go back. Before we let it go we cleaned everything out of it and made sure not to leave any personal info in it.

The truck was listed just in dh's name and my name was nowhere on it. Our home phone is listed just in my name and dh's is nowhere on it.

So Saturday this guy calls and leaves a message. He says he lives 4 states away from us and recently bought dh's truck from a dealership there. He was convinced he had the right number. There was no question in his tone whatsoever. He said he's having problems with the truck now and wants to know if dh can help him.

What? How do you think he got our home number and should we talk to him? He's called 3 times since then but I haven't answered.
                This is an opportunity to really have some fun.

Ask him if the corpse smell has cleared up.
                Ask if it still makes all that noise from the time you mistook the oil fill cap for the radiator cap and filled the engine with water while on that road trip.
                No Asset 7 closed 11/09

Comment

Originally posted by Chowder View Post

Ask if it still makes all that noise from the time you mistook the oil fill cap for the radiator cap and filled the engine with water while on that road trip.
                  Exactly what I would do too!
                  Filed 8/2009
                  Discharged & Closed 11/2009
                  Now the rebuilding begins....

Comment

Originally posted by Chowder View Post

LOOL thats a good one, If you were to talk to him, act like he has the wrong (number) person... then let the games begin
                    Filed on 7-17-09
                    waiting for 341
                    341 meeting 8-21-09
                    discharged/ case closed 12/23/2009

Comment

It might have been found based on carfax or something. I would only talk to him via phone if you want to be very nice to him. I definitely would not meet in person with the guy. I would definitely ask him how he obtained your number.

I MIGHT notify the trustee (or at least your attorney) of this in writing stating the callers number and the dates and times of the calls just to help cover your butt in case there is something fishy going on. I can't tell you what that might be now but doing this might protect you just in case. You never know about some people. Could be something innocent all the way to a trap or someone offering to sell it back to you.
                      Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

The very fact you feel so uncomfortable with this situation should be your cue to not talk to this individual again.

If he bought a car that is now having mechanical trouble, he has to go back to the dealer for resolution. Your responsibility for the truck disappeared the instant it was surrendered.

And who said that this truck is actually yours? You aren't the only couple to surrender trucks just like it in bankruptcy. Even if it is your truck, you owe this individual nothing. Sounds like he's trying to find a sucker to pay for the repairs, and you aren't a sucker. Don't answer if he calls again.
                        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

We purchased a vehicle once that had been repossessed and found information that the original owner had purchased a transferable extended warranty. I contacted him to ask if he would mind allowing me to transfer the warranty coverage. He was happy to do so for me.

I doubt the guy is looking for you to buy the truck back or pay his repair bills. He probably just wants some history on the maintenance.
                          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

It's possible he doesn't even know it was a repo. He may have bought it from a dealer who got it at auction. Probably OhioFiler is right, he just wants to ask you about the vehicle's history. At any rate, there's nothing that he can get from you financially, so I would be the proverbial cat, and my curiosity would win out to find out what he wants.

Comment

It is super easy to get all that information via CarFax. Just by doing my due dillegence as a buyer I know that the people had our car before us lived in Michigan, their names, address and everything. I could easily find a phone number from the phone book with all that.

Funny aside, when we were cleaning it one day I took the back seat out to get at some random kid stain when I found the cutest letter. A little girl had written a note about how much she wanted a puppy and had drawn little pictures and the like on it, it was way cute. I can only assume it was the previous owner's daughter, I am really curious if she ever got her dog. Unfortunately for my curiosity there is not a way to find out that is not deeply creepy.

For a maintenance question though I might ask, like in a case where the dealer said the previous owner had the timing belt changed and I started to think he was fibbin'. On some trucks that is a $2k operation and a simple call can save you a useless expense or a blown engine.
                              Last edited by Rahaton; 09-09-2009, 06:28 AM. Reason: Bad typing

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X