Encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encouragement

For those of you still in the process or just beginning the process of bk...I wanted to give a little encouragement to you.

We are almost one year out from filing(23 days shy of it) and doing great. We made it through the process and came out ahead in life. We did have to call for discharge but that was simple. We were able to secure a small and I mean small in comparison to what we had, auto loan through our credit union 3 months after discharge. We even got the loan at 7%. While this is not for all it was the best choice for our situation. So that should be some encouragement to those of you worried about that. We also chose to reaffirm our mortgage with Chase. However, the papers were not filed before the discharge so the mortgage ended up in a ride through. No big deal. You just mail your payments to a specific address. One month ago we were able to gain access online again to pay the mortgage online. So again you will be able to gain access to accounts later. We also obtained a credit card from HSBC for a limit of $300. This also was a need as I do not want to reserve hotels with my debit card. Again, to those of you out there that think you can't do this you can. Life does get better and I hope you all have some encouragement. You can go read my previous posts about my story and how panicked I was as well. Needless to say I cannot believe it has been nearly a year since filing. So all of you in the process have some peace in knowing that life does return to "normal".
    Filed Jan 23rd, 2009
    341 meeting--February 24th--Went smooth
    :yahoo::yahoo:
    Discharged may 12th--had to call the court clerk!!:clapping::yahoo::yahoo::

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement.

We have a growing number of new members that are in so much pain as they are agonizing over what to do. I am sure that you have helped brighten everyone's day. Thanks again!!
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Hey Cat!! The last year has been full of downs and ups. But mostly ups after we got discharged. I hope these people realize life can be awesome after filing. Life becomes about making good choices about finances. While we are all still learning it is much easier to say "hey I don't need that". Anyway just thought since nearly a year had gone by I would give an update and hopefully everyone on here can be encouraged to know that life gets better and we do learn from mistakes.
      Filed Jan 23rd, 2009

Comment

Yes, we are VERY new to this. We just talked to an attorney today, the next step for us is to get all of our paper work together and get everything filled out. It seems overwelming right now, seeing as how much paperwork there is. I think it's the best for us though.

Thank you for sharing your story, it gives me hope.
        1.6.10 ~ Met with attorney.

Comment

There is lots of paperwork but it is one step at a time. Being happy is so worth the paperwork. The stress and anxiety of filing can be tough but you can make it and will be glad you did in the end. Good luck to you and stay with this forum. If I had not found this forum before I filed I would not have made it through.
          Filed Jan 23rd, 2009

Comment

okieBK09 - thanks for the encouraging words. I have a question for you regarding your Chase ride-through. The same thing happened to us with GMAC. We signed a mod with reaffirmation but GMAC didn't file anything with the court before discharge. I'm curious, did Chase say anything to you about your loan not being reaffirmed? My attorney told us we do not have a reaffirmation even through we signed it, which is OK with me. We haven't heard a word from GMAC about it.
            Filed Non-Consumer Chapter 7: 07/31/2009
            341 Hearing: 09/03/2009
            Last Day for Creditor's Objections: 11/02/2009
            Discharged! 11/03/2009 CLOSED! 01/05/2010

Comment

Thank you! I'm still new here and haven't committed myself fully yet. I am in the pre-planning stages and still waiting to win the lottery and make it all go away. Its refreshing to hear that life goes back to normal quickly, I like many others just need to swallow my pride and give up worrying about losing my precious credit score, I mean really no one is gonna have a good credit score when this economic disaster is over
              If you think no one cares about you try missing a couple of payments.

Comment

I agree with original poster......we too have filed and are awaiting discharge any day now. THE HARDEST PART OF BANKRUPTCY IS BY FAR THE MONTHS (OR YEAR) PRIOR TO FILING. The constant struggle trying to stay afloat, the sleepless nights agonizing over what to do, robbing Peter to pay Paul, etc. etc. Once you actually realize that there is no other way out (at least in our case) and actually file, it's like a huge weight is off your shoulders. Now, the only hurdle we have to face is finding a rental since we are surrendering our house. We are in unprecedented times and any no one should feel ashamed.....it's just a sign of the terrible economic times we are in. There will be good coming from all this. Lessons have been learned and in the future, it is my hope and prayer that we all will make better choices when it comes to our money. God bless.

Comment

Okiebk09 are in you in OKlahoma? If what district did you file in?

Comment

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I was just discharged, and I feel sometimes like it is the Scalet Letter. We have kept it from family because our parents are 90+, and because I am afraid they would all blame my husband too. I think what I really need to know now is that there is a job out there for hubby after a BK. He has dealt with age as a huge factor in not getting a job, and now he has to deal with this BK.

Comment

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. We are just in the beginning of our journey so it is nice to know that things will be good in the end and that we can make it through. I am scared to death but just knowing that others have survived and are better for it helps so much. Thanks for taking the time to give the rest of us hope

Comment

Thank you so much for your words!!! We are in the midst of this whole thing, have not yet contacted an attorney, although I do have a name. I am struggling with the whole bk thing, the stigma attached to it. But there is a regular poster here, everytime I read their posts I realize that this is a business decision, no one plans to do this, it happens it is life.

All that being said, I am still very scared, I have researched everything up - down- left and right, and still in my neurotic mind think I am the "special" case that some how it is going to turn out bad!

I know there is life after bankruptcy, never want to see another cc for as long as I live, never want these past two years again, with this whole mess of economy. We will get through this, I keep thinking to myself, next year at this time it all will be over!!! and you are already at the next year!

Comment

Originally posted by rooster0330 View Post
                          Thank you so much for your words!!! We are in the midst of this whole thing, have not yet contacted an attorney, although I do have a name. I am struggling with the whole bk thing, the stigma attached to it. But there is a regular poster here, everytime I read their posts I realize that this is a business decision, no one plans to do this, it happens it is life.

All that being said, I am still very scared, I have researched everything up - down- left and right, and still in my neurotic mind think I am the "special" case that some how it is going to turn out bad!

I know there is life after bankruptcy, never want to see another cc for as long as I live, never want these past two years again, with this whole mess of economy. We will get through this, I keep thinking to myself, next year at this time it all will be over!!! and you are already at the next year!
                          I totally know what you mean when you say you're scared and that you might be the "special case" in which you won't be able to file.

The first step is talking to an attorney, you won't believe how much better you'll feel after just talking to one. The first meeting is usually always free. We got all of our paper work at our first meeting so we're ready to fill out all the paperwork and then file. I'm sure it will be ok in end for you. Wishing you luck!
                          1.6.10 ~ Met with attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by rooster0330 View Post

Rooster, I could have written that, so you're not alone!
                            1/22/10 - filed Chapter 7 pro se
                            3/2/10 - 341 meeting
                            5/6/10 - discharged and case closed

Comment

Ok sorry just now getting back on here from last night.

Wantout--Western District, no issues at all. We were asked a trick question by the Trustee. They do research your names for property etc so don't lie about anything. They thought they had caught us in a lie abotu owning some land. Turns out it was someone with the same name. You are under oath when the questions are asked as well so they know you will be answering honestly.

Sleepwell-- We filed to reaffirm because that is what our attorney said to do even though I had researched this to no end and really felt strongly about NOT reaffirming. However we did as we were advised and on the petition we marked to reaffirm. We went through the whole process and NEVER heard but once from chase regarding the reaffirmation and that was just a paper they wanted us and our attorney to sign stating they could talk with us about the paperwork. We finally heard something about 2 days before discharge but it was on a Friday when we got the papers and the discharge went through on a Monday I believe. I don't remember all the details I just remember that it was the last minute when we got the papers to sign. Anyway so all we did was call chase after discharge and they were very nice. Gave us the proper address to mail the payment to every month and we have had no issues. They really don't care as long as you are making your payments. I even had late charges that still show up from during the process but I have not paid them because they should have wiped out in the process. So they just sit on the account and haven't received one word about them. So just call them and find out where to mail the payment. These places actually have bk departments so when you call ask for the bk department. Hope that helps.
                              Filed Jan 23rd, 2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X