top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Mortgage Settled in Full after BK!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getnew - I can see how our situations are somewhat similiar. We were so upside-down, the second was completely unsecured regarding equity. I knew they would not foreclose because they would have to pay off the first to do so. The BK Trustee asked us at our 341 hearing what we were going to do with our properties (we have 4 rentals and our primary residence). I told him I had applied for modifications on all of them. If we were grated the mods and the rent could pay for the mortgages, we would keep them. Otherwise, we would have to surrender them. The Trustee did nor pursue it any futher.

I truly believe the key to our settlement with Green Tree was the debt was already discharged in BK and we were 7 months behind on our first loan. Green Tree knew the property was heading to foreclosure and they would get nothing. They did not know I had applied for a loan mod. Once we were granted the loan mod on the first, I didn't share that info with Green Tree.

Green Tree sent my attorney a reaffirmation which we didn't sign. The loan modification from the first lender had verbage of a reaffirmation but the lender did not instigate a reaffirmation hearing prior to our discharge so the loan is not reaffirmed.

In my opinion, you may have difficulty settling with Green Tree prior to your BK discharge. The way I see it, after the discharge, Green Tree won't have much to hold over you. The cards will be stacked in your favor. They will know you are no longer responsible for the debt so they can't collect from you or even get a deficiency judgement. They won't foreclose because it makes no sence financially. They won't even be able to get much money by selling your debt to a "jobber" because a discharged debt is not worth much. So, when it comes down to it...settling with you will make the most sence. Of course, because of variables in our two situations, there are no guarantees your situation will turn out like ours. You need to decide if it's worth taking the risk.

One last thing...I was also asked to send in all my financial information for them to consider a settlement. I told them I was discharged of the debt and, therefore, my financial situation was not relevant. I would only send them a hardship letter. They backed down from their request.

Here is all the Green Tree contact info I found on another website. I emailed everyone on the list. Randy Shannon, EVP of Operations called me. He told me they wouldn't settle for any less then 50% of the debt. I told him "fine", I guess I'll let the property be foreclosed on. I waited several weeks and received a call from Green Tree asking me if I still was willing to settle the $62K debt for $3,376.

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Green Tree Servicing LLC
    345 Saint Peter Street
    Saint Paul, MN. 55102

Green Tree
    Loss Mitigation
    1-800-643-0202

Good luck to you!
    Filed Non-Consumer Chapter 7: 07/31/2009
    341 Hearing: 09/03/2009
    Last Day for Creditor's Objections: 11/02/2009
    Discharged! 11/03/2009 CLOSED! 01/05/2010

Comment

Thank you for your response Sleepwell. . My goal is to negotiate the second prior to BK. I want to remove the risk of them foreclosing-despite the fact that it would be completely stupid financially.

thanks again for the contacts!

P.S. if you have any negotiation letters, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Comment

settle 2nd mortgage after chapter 7

Please help i have a 1st with 190,000 and second with 150,000 all with bank of america all current, home is now worth 240,000. just filed for chapter 7 what are the chances i can negotiate with the second to settle for 30 cents on the dollar do remove the lien if i affirm second ? are they usually lump sum payments or will they do a payment plan .or any suggestions thanks ,also should i wait till discharge to try ti settle or do it now?

Comment

Originally posted by rat View Post
          Please help i have a 1st with 190,000 and second with 150,000 all with bank of america all current, home is now worth 240,000. just filed for chapter 7 what are the chances i can negotiate with the second to settle for 30 cents on the dollar do remove the lien if i affirm second ? are they usually lump sum payments or will they do a payment plan .or any suggestions thanks ,also should i wait till discharge to try ti settle or do it now?
          They will not settle if you reaffirm the debt. Please don't reaffirm. You'll only be hurting yourself in the long run.
          Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
          I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Rat, start your own thread with your question so you get more answers.

Do NOT reaffirm the second mortgage. If you do there is no incentive for them to negotiate.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

newbie 2 i agree with yo, but do you think its worth trying to settle with the second .or do you think there is no chance they will even think about it,would you wait till after or before discharge ? i think if i can get them to 30,000 it will be a good deal for me because alot of the 150,000 second mortgage was spent on the home as everything is updated ? thanks for input

Comment

Originally posted by rat View Post
                newbie 2 i agree with yo, but do you think its worth trying to settle with the second .or do you think there is no chance they will even think about it,would you wait till after or before discharge ? i think if i can get them to 30,000 it will be a good deal for me because alot of the 150,000 second mortgage was spent on the home as everything is updated ? thanks for input
                Rat your numbers show the second has 50,000 in equity right now. Why would they settle for less than that?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X