Expenses for pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses for pets

Does anyone think that $400 a month is excessive for pet care? We have eight cats and three dogs. I figured out how much we have spent (using credit cards, of course) on our pets all these years, and the amount is mind-boggling! We have no children, just four-legged kids.
    But ... does anyone think the trustee is just going to laugh and say, heck no!?
    Here's a breakdown:
    Vet visits and vaccinations for cats: $817.44
    Dogs: $225
    Cat flea meds:$959.84
    Dog flea meds: $357.94
    Dog heartworm meds: $113.94
    Three bags of dry cat food each month, Purina Indoor: $39
    One bag of Pedigree a month: $20
    Three 24-packs of Costco wet food a month: $39
    Four buckets of scooping litter a month: $40
    Five bales of cedar chips a month: $30
    Three cats require grooming every three months (long-haired and weight problems that require special shaving): $240
    Dog nail clips once a month:$ 27

Originally posted by brendamc67 View Post
    Does anyone think that $400 a month is excessive for pet care? We have eight cats and three dogs. I figured out how much we have spent (using credit cards, of course) on our pets all these years, and the amount is mind-boggling! We have no children, just four-legged kids.
    But ... does anyone think the trustee is just going to laugh and say, heck no!?
    Here's a breakdown:
    Vet visits and vaccinations for cats: $817.44
    Dogs: $225
    Cat flea meds:$959.84
    Dog flea meds: $357.94
    Dog heartworm meds: $113.94
    Three bags of dry cat food each month, Purina Indoor: $39
    One bag of Pedigree a month: $20
    Three 24-packs of Costco wet food a month: $39
    Four buckets of scooping litter a month: $40
    Five bales of cedar chips a month: $30
    Three cats require grooming every three months (long-haired and weight problems that require special shaving): $240
    Dog nail clips once a month:$ 27
    Yes, probably. A trustee looks at pet expenses as something that should be a low amount, and an expense that could be freed up to pay unsecured creditors. Many people here have reported that their trustees have questioned and nixed their high pet expenses. Your attorney will be able to guide you as to what the trustee in your district will balk about.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

That is absolutely expensive. If they don't like a family of four to have $240 in "entertainment" expense, I don't see $400/month in petcare being acceptable. Of course, this depends on your Trustee, District, United States Trustee, and local practice.

If you're under the median, this will probably go through without anyone looking. However, if a creditor sees that or the UST/Trustee notice... you could have issues. I hope that you don't "need" that $400/month to pass the means test.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by brendamc67 View Post
        Does anyone think that $400 a month is excessive for pet care?
        Yes.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

WOW yes it is excessive!

In my district my attorney said they will not accept one penny for pet expenses. Good luck.
          ==================================
          Filed: 4-30-2010
          341 Complete: 6-16-2010
          Discharged and Closed 8/17/2010

Comment

I am a pet lover - have 2 cats & a dog. Annually we spend $500-600 on vet visits, $75 or so total a month in pet supplies. (Food, litter & supplies, flea/heartworm med for the dog. Cats are indoors only and we don't bother.) BUT... We are under the guidelines for groceries/personal/household expenses for a family of 5. As a family of 2 (you said no kids) I think its harder to be 'under' in these areas since buying larger quantities of almost anything means a lower per unit price.

But sometimes one must face the facts: if you can't afford to take care of so many pets, then maybe one should not own so many pets??? $400/mo is alot - and if you're filing bankruptcy its a pretty good assumption that you cannot afford it. Have you tried to find homes for any of your pets? I know they are like family - and its not easy. But it might be the best thing for them.
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I spent 10 years doing volunteer work with a cat rescue, as such I ended up with some that were not adoptable due to various issues. I HAVE to keep expenses down, while providing the best care I can to my fur-babies.

I included 200 per month, however I padded my food expense to cover it.

A couple tips to lower your pet care expenses:
              1.) If the cats are indoor, it is cheaper as they do not need flea treatment. As long as your dogs are treated they will not bring fleas in. (over 900.00 savings)
              2.) the ones that need special shaving...do it yourself. It takes more time, does not look as "pretty" but it does the job. Have someone help if needed.
              3.) Look closely at your vaccinations. Cats need 1 distemper shot every 3 years, regardless if vet wants to do it yearly. Do your research on this. Cornell University is one of the nations top veterinary schools! Especially for indoor cats, with greatly reduced exposure to disease.
              4.) Feline Leukemia is caught from other cats. If your cats are indoor (not around strange cats), and all test neg. for this, this shot is a waste of money. Before bringing in any new pets, test them first. This shot is also known for higher post vaccine issues. Again, do your research.
              5.) with very little training, you can trim the dogs nails yourself. Just error on the side of the dog, meaning do not cut them too close and keep that stop-bled stuff close just in case. I have always cut their nails myself, it only takes a few minutes.
              6.) Not sure where you get your litter, but Pets-Supplies Plus has a no scented cheap litter at 9.89 for 40lbs. (it clumps well) You have to clean the boxes daily, but with that many...you have to anyhow. So don't buy expensive litters. Most places also sell bulk litter much cheaper.

Anyhow...I keep my cats indoor for many reasons, only one of which is the greatly reduced pet care expense. What you do is entirely up to you, but I wanted to offer tips to greatly reduce those expenses.

All the best
              Last edited by NoMoreCards; 06-04-2010, 06:46 AM. Reason: Added info.
              8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
              11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Our cats are indoor - because one is older & has no teeth and I feel it would not be safe for her to go outside. And its just easier keeping both in than allowing one out. Good to know there are so many other benefits. (And I feel less guilty about skipping flea treatments for the kitties now.)

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post

Anyhow...I keep my cats indoor for many reasons, only one of which is the greatly reduced pet care expense. What you do is entirely up to you, but I wanted to offer tips to greatly reduce those expenses.

All the best
                Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Glad to help!

It is much safer for the kitties, better for your neighbors (who may not like your cats), and WAY cheaper to keep them indoor. It also allows the owner to provide better care, knowing what the little rascals have been into! Lol!
                  It is best for the cats, and the owners pocket books!

One of my kitties (I just lost to cancer) was a diabetic, had to check his blood daily and give him his insulin shots plus special food. I could not have afforded his care had I not reduced these unnecessary expenses.
                  8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                  11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

One other thing that might help. You can find most everything you need (healthwise) at farm supply stores or Tractor Supply, including the shots and flea meds.
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

That is a lot of money, as much as my car payment and car insurance payment combined.

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and I know what you mean as far as 4-legged children, and I would never suggest you get rid of them. We spend $20 a month in dog food, $10 a month in cat food, and we get our shots done at shot clinics, not the vet. Vets charge for vets visits, shot clinics only charge for the shots themselves. Also look for non-profit clinics. The place I got my dogs fixed at is non-profit and they clip nails for $5 and do shots for around $10 - $12 each. My dogs absolutely will not let me clip their nails and would never let me give them a shot. Tractor supply does sell the shots, for cheap, however, they need to stay refrigerated to stay useful. Plus, you really need to know what you are doing to inject the pet properly. I'm not a vet or vet tech so I really do not feel comfortable injecting an animal myself.

I also never feed my pets wet food. Too expensive. You could be buying organic Blue Buffalo food for the price you spend on wet & dry food.

Definitely cut out those cat flea meds.

What is the special shaving? That may be considered an unnecessary expense, unless there is a medical reason.
                      I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
                      Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Originally posted by dumpinmydebt View Post
                        What is the special shaving? That may be considered an unnecessary expense, unless there is a medical reason.
                        In my case (can't speak for the OP), the special shaving is required when a long haired kitty don't clean their backside well or the long hair causes a mess when things get stuck to it. So shaving that back side, is really necessary in some cases.
                        8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                        11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
                          Cats need 1 distemper shot every 3 years, regardless if vet wants to do it yearly. Do your research on this. Cornell University is one of the nations top veterinary schools! Especially for indoor cats, with greatly reduced exposure to disease.
                          Thanks for all the great advice. Our vet actually told me this a month ago when we took our not so healthy 19 year old kitty in for her shoots. He advised against giving it to her so we didn't. He also told us that the FDA is looking into making the Rabies shot multi-year as well. It would be nice to not have to get the rabies shot for our indoor only kitties!!

Comment

Special shaving? TMI....

A pity pet expenses don't have their own line on the schedules, like auto expense. After all when under stress the critters help relieve it..

Comment

Thanks to all...

I wondered if that sounded expensive. I will probably lower it. We are actually about $4,000 under the median, but I just worried that they would look at our expenses and say that they are too low/too high.
                              We live in a fifth wheel trailer on my mother's property. The cats have their own private indoor/outdoor cattery, and the dogs live in the trailer with us. So our rent is really low ($150) and our pet expenses really high. Yes, we have spent a lot of money on credit cards on our animals, but I am figuring out ways to lower the costs (like, no, they don't really need flea control in the winter. Or I can buy the shots at the farm store and give them to them myself and only go the vet when they act sick.
                              What I should do is start paying my mom more in rent. I just don't want to get her in trouble with the IRS. It's not HER fault that we are going through bankruptcy.
                              We're in a weird situation. Maybe I should put down what we would REALLY pay in rent if we were to ditch the fifth wheel routine and actually rent a place. Even a monthly space rental at a park would be about $450 a month.
                              Thanks again!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X