Too Much Negative DMI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much Negative DMI?

Hmm, I'm probably overthinking this. We're filing next Monday, so I'm a little nervous now.

But I'm wondering, can one have so much of a negative DMI that it hurts the filing process? Like, are they going to look real hard at my spending when they see a high negative DMI?

I can work the numbers so I do not have such a high negative DMI, but when I put in what I really spend (which is still less than the IRS standards) I come up with having a DMI of about -$275.

Is there a good number when it comes to negative DMI?

In all honesty, what keeps us afloat are the student loan refunds we receive (which I have exempted as a cash asset.) Otherwise, we couldn't afford daily living expenses.
    I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
    Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

For a Chapter 7, you want it to be negative, or just barely in the positive range if you are reaffirming a debt. (Whether you should reaffirm anything is a serious financial decision and a totally separate subject.) There is no magic number when it comes to a negative DMI. Some might ask you why you would want negative DMI even after receiving a discharge, but it doesn't prevent a discharge.

If your DMI was over (positive) $109.58 or $182.50, then you'd be subject to a motion to dismiss or convert (to Chapter 13).

Having wrote all that, if your DMI is still going to be negative after you receive your discharge, you really need to sit down, review your budget and lifestyle, and try to bring it back to the positive side. Living in the negative is unsustainable. We all here are proof of that!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

We are negative $700+ on our DMI. My husband's unemployment compensation is the only thing keeping us afloat right now. REALLY hoping he can at least find a job to bring in that same amount before his UC runs out!
      Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

I understand Dee and I'm hoping you get back on the plus side. The negative DMI is unsustainable, and I know that you know that.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

we were negative $3.790.00 or thereabouts.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Ok. Thanks so much for your help.

Dee - I hope your husband is able to find a good job. Best of luck to you.
            I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
            Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

This is a great thread because I am -$450 right now because I'm worried that some of my expenses can be challenged like cable, cell phones, internet. I used legitimate expenses to arrive there, but was concerned if I didn't list enough I could end up in a 13. I'm just hoping for the best and probably worrying myself too much over this.
              Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

Great thread! I too have wondered about this as I've put together expense budget without DH's income going forward.
                Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Comment

Mine was -$1,800 something. Nothing was questioned, but that's just my experience.
                  Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

We are at negative -600 also because of hubby's job loss and our UI is keeping us just barely above water

Originally posted by Dee View Post
                    We are negative $700+ on our DMI. My husband's unemployment compensation is the only thing keeping us afloat right now. REALLY hoping he can at least find a job to bring in that same amount before his UC runs out!
                    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Hi dumpinmydebt,

what keeps us afloat are the student loan refunds we receive

Just a friendly warning, we went down the student loan path and have regretted it ever since.
                      They never go away, as another poster said, it is 'indebted servitude'
                      Seriously, if I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen the homeless shelter and two shifts at McD before I took out any student loans...

Hang in there,

Tom in Colo
                      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Thanks Tom. We don't plan on needing the extra for long, plus our school is really, really cheap so we're not taking out a ton. We both go to a community college.

Well, I thought I had a high negative DMI. Glad I'm not the only one and good to see others making it through with even higher.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X