Renting a car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting a car...

I have to rent a car this weekend. I can use my debit card towards this, but they will pull 350.00 off it at check in. Then when I return it, refund the difference. I don't know if I can have 350.00 in my checking by this weekend, but can pay in cash. They don't accept cash UNTIL the return of the vehicle, which I will have the cash to pay upon return.

So, I guess my question is, though I think I know the answer I'll get. My credit cards are still good. If I used a credit card, they would pull this amount off of the card at check in. Then when I return the car, I would pay cash, and the charge would come off. So, it would charged 350.00, then refunded 350.00, and I would pay the cash.

What would you do?

Originally posted by Panacea View Post

If I used a credit card, they would pull this amount off of the card at check in.

What would you do?
    No. Dont use your card. You're within 90 days of filing correct?

ETA: Most credit card refunds dont happen immediately either - its usually "within 30 days". Debit card refunds are within 24 - 48 hours in most instances.

Comment

pandora's right...do NOT use the card...or at least i wouldn't use it.

i understand what it's like to have to rent a car with a debit account. however, find another company that doesn't hold $350....we found one that only held $150...so shop around and see if you can find another rental place.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        pandora's right...do NOT use the card...or at least i wouldn't use it.

i understand what it's like to have to rent a car with a debit account. however, find another company that doesn't hold $350....we found one that only held $150...so shop around and see if you can find another rental place.
        tobee43... can you let us know which rental company you used please! I have come across this a couple times when I need to rent a car... fortunately for me the company I work for gives me cash advances for business trips...
        Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

i think it was enterprise that we used? it was right before we moved here...

now down in florida...they have a million places so i would just hit the phone book...

also may i suggest another checking account. we have 3.......and if you get "cash" advances i would use one exclusively for business only...that way you simply do not have to worry since the funds are available and not intertwined with your "personal" funds.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

If you're using the credit card, they will only take a "HOLD" and not a "charge". There's a difference. You can pay with cash of debit/gift card when you return the card so that they don't "charge" the card.

FWIW, Hertz only holds or charges "up to" $140 over the total cost of the rental. I think Enterprise is one of the worst when it comes to debit cards. I rent with Hertz all the time (#1 Club Gold -- 5-Star level), and they take exactly $140 over the rental "estimate" whether I use a credit card or debit card.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Panacea, jb is right. Use the credit card to rent if you want, just make sure you pay with your debit card or cash upon returning the car, don't let them charge your credit card. The hold will go away after 5 days. It will not show up as a charge, so nothing to fear or explain.
              Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
              AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

If you have an Avis rental place that is who we always use. We had to rent when we were flat broke & we used them. They didn't put any extra hold oner money out at all. or take any oth. I think our rental was $90, we used a debit card and they didn't hold any extra, the $90 was all that was ever touched.
                Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
                Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

Here are the actual rental car policies... http://www.best-car-rental-tips.com/...-policies.html

Originally posted by avis
                  From Avis: Generally, Avis requires a debit card authorization hold of $500 or the estimated rental charges, whichever is greater.
                  Here is Avis' actual policy.. .http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...s-US_en-002878

Please do yourself a favor and "know before you go." Nothing like not having the appropriate amount or having TOO MUCH of a debti card TIED UP for days!
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

What a relief! Thanks guys AGAIN!.....And I just checked Hertz, their rates were lower then what I checked last week...........so Hertz wins!

Comment

Panacea, here's a great tip! Search the internet to find a "free" code to allow you to get Free Hertz #1 Club Gold membership. Then fill out the on-line application and get a #1 Club number. Your car will be "waiting" for you when you get to the location, and all you show is a driver's license. They run your card either just before you show up or at the time you get the car (if it's gold "counter" service).

If you are a member of AAA, you get it for free anyhow, just visit your Local "Club" website for details.

I am treated extremely well by my local hertz edition (HLE) and at the airports! Usually get a nice upgrade too.

You don't need to do this, but I think it helps a little in the process.

(Adding that you should only join #1 Club GOLD, if you can get it for free.)

Comment

Checking now! Thanks again!!!! Feeling much better btw, I was totally stressing on this rental car for a week, and I have no idea why I didn't ask in here earlier. I am the stress queen!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X