Buying a house with inheritance $ before filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a house with inheritance $ before filing

Hi! Looking for some specific advice for our situation. We are in Pa and we had decided to file chapter 7. Just as we made our decision my mother-in-law became very sick and passed away. As we were handling all that we put filing on hold. It turns out that we are receiving an inheritance from her pension. Our lawyer told us to hold off on filing until we know exactly when and how much money is coming. (in hopes of just settling the debt instead of filing).

Here is the question. It looks as if we will be getting almost enough money that we would be able to buy the house we are renting. We would have to choose between settling debt or buying a home. There isn't enough to do both. Obviously buying our home outright with cash would benefit us more because we wouldn't have a mortgage or rent payment anymore.

Is it possible to buy this home outright and still file chapter 7 after the fact? Or, would the home then become something that creditors could come after?

here are PA's exemption allowances http://www.legalconsumer.com/bankrup...T=PA#homestead

ETA: took other site out...

Comment

I would talk to your attorney again about this. Seems to me you may be taking non-exempt money (the inheritance) and putting it in to an exempt area (depending upon PAs exemptions). This isn't something I would even consider without getting an attorneys advice.

One other question: If you buy the home outright, would you have enough money to pay your unsecured creditors? Also, if you own the home free and clear you may be in Chapter 13 territory and not Chapter 7 because of DMI.
      Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
      I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

If you have, say $10,000 on a card, you might offer them $2,500 to settle it. The money may go further than you think. If you do decide to go that route, make sure you get everything in writing.
        Filed Chapter 7 (08/17/10)
        341 Meeting (09/20/10)
        Discharge (11/30/10), Case Closed (01/18/11)

Comment

Hi Christie,

Is it possible to buy this home outright and still file chapter 7 after the fact?

nice, easy question......No

The creditors are not the only problem, it is going to be the increased income forcing you out of Ch 7 range.
          Your lawyer has it right, wait to see the amount and go from there.

Sorry for your loss and glad for your good fortune,

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Christie View Post
            Hi! Looking for some specific advice for our situation. We are in Pa and we had decided to file chapter 7. Just as we made our decision my mother-in-law became very sick and passed away. As we were handling all that we put filing on hold. It turns out that we are receiving an inheritance from her pension. Our lawyer told us to hold off on filing until we know exactly when and how much money is coming. (in hopes of just settling the debt instead of filing).

Here is the question. It looks as if we will be getting almost enough money that we would be able to buy the house we are renting. We would have to choose between settling debt or buying a home. There isn't enough to do both. Obviously buying our home outright with cash would benefit us more because we wouldn't have a mortgage or rent payment anymore.

Is it possible to buy this home outright and still file chapter 7 after the fact? Or, would the home then become something that creditors could come after?
            no u can't buy the house with cash and then file bk7.it would be considered fraud.if u had that much non exempt cash in the eyes of the trustee u should use it to pay your creditors

sorry for your loss
            Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
            Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
            Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Your inheritance is income. An inheritance that is enough to buy a home will be enough income to keep you out of a chapter 7 in most cases. If you use your inheritance income to purchase a house, then the house is only exempt up to your state's limitations. The trustee can force you to sell the house to pay off creditors in a chapter 7. In a chapter 13, you can keep the house, but will be forced to repay a portion of your unsecured debt.

There is no way you can protect both the entire inheritance and the entire house. Your exemptions will not cover that.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Even if you had filed, and received the inheritance within 180 days post-filing, you would have had to let the trustee know about it.
                Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                Discharged: 11/30/2009
                Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

I always wondered does that 180 day clock start the day you file or the day of discharge?

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                  Even if you had filed, and received the inheritance within 180 days post-filing, you would have had to let the trustee know about it.
                  Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                    I always wondered does that 180 day clock start the day you file or the day of discharge?
                    Day you file.
                    Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                    341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                    Discharged: 11/30/2009
                    Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                      This is one of the questions the trustee asked me during the 341 meeting, so the answer would be yes.
                      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

You could buy the house and wait to BK, just dont pay your crediter. I don't think they can garnish wages in PA. check on that I'm not sure.

Comment

It appears to me (based on the link posted) that there is no homestead exemption in PA, but you could use the Federal exemptions which allow around $21k of equity to be exempted. If the property is worth more than that (most likely), then the trustee can sell it to pay your creditors. You'd be better off settling your debt and then using the rest of the money as a down payment. Nothing wrong with having a mortgage...
                          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X