Back to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to work

I've been given an offer and will be returning to work, just a contract, next week. It is a great relief.

Some of you probably remember that I recently had a kitty emergency. I lost a beloved cat -- something that is very hard for me to cope with -- because I didn't take her to the vet in time. Of course, despite having lost her, I have an additional lump of debt to deal with now. But that's okay. I note it only because I realize it is much greater than it might have been had I taken her to the vet earlier on. I do not regret trying to save her, but it was just too late.

The discharge of my Chapter 7 is just a few weeks away, a proceeding that I filed pro se after having filed a Chapter 13 a few years back in California. So it's been a long haul. But what I regret the most is the loss of this amazing cat that I completely gave my heart to. If it was not for this, I would feel pleased that I navigated the paperwork on my own, and I would only feel relieved and perhaps more optimistic about the future.

Once I begin work again, I'll be paying off my debt for the care that my cat received in her last days. And I'll start pick up the financial pieces of the rest of my life. I have already made an appointment for my surviving kitty to see the doctor. And I'll be purchasing Trupanion pet insurance for her in advance of the appointment, something that would have covered the costs of the catastrophic care that my other kitty required. My priority now is to ensure that my other kitty is not at risk or, if she is, to catch it early enough so that she does not become critically ill.

I added a note to this effect to an earlier post but please, I'm going to restate it, if you, like me, anticipate of period of great financial stress with inadequate funds or a lack of any emergency fund that might cover any non-human species that you consider part of your family, please ensure that you have insurance to cover them if there is some catastrophic medical event. As I sadly found, while I can go to a county hospital, my cats are in the position of being denied all care when I cannot pay for it at the time of use. And though I was able to get a few people to work with me, my access to the best critical care facility was impossible because they do not make payment plans. And, unfortunately, there was in this case a big difference in the treatment available from one facility to the other.

Early this year I had considered pet insurance and rejected it, in part because I myself had no insurance, and in part because there were articles saying that it was generally financially smarter to instead have a savings account for such emergencies. I had no savings account. But I figured we'd get through the next six months and then, when my circumstances changed, I could create the account. After all, my cats were only middle-aged and I thought they'd been healthy enough so far. Besides, at the time I didn't realize how useful an insurance company like Trupanion, covering catastrophic events instead of just the usual vaccines and exams, could be. For many people who don't have the cash, having a catastrophic pet care insurance policy like Trupanion apparently can make the difference.

Please, please, please. I can't undo the death of this cat that I loved. All I can do is encourage others to include their own beloved cats and dogs in their planning. Had I the chance, I would so gratefully have paid the $20 or so per month that it would have taken to ensure that if my cats, however young I thought they still were, could be cared for if they fell ill during a time of financial duress that I knew was coming.

If she were only alive, I would feel differently now about this period ending. But her death is a great loss to me. I would rather to have been chased by collectors, month in and month out, than to suffer this loss that I have to face. And I feel responsible.

Anyway, so I will have a paycheck now. But I don't have her. The cost feels so great.

Please cover your cats and your dogs if at all possible.

Best.
    11/2008 - Filed Chapter 13
    02/2010 - Chapter 13 dismissed
    08/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 pro se in new district
    09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

empowered,

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

congrats on your new job! and so sorry for your loss...good advise to those with pets...remember the many of the courts frown on your sch j and means tests for pet care although they allow some monies.

best of luck on your new job !!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

ditto the others - sorry you lost your beloved kitty . Know how you feel, my cat is like any other animal I've ever had in my entire life and I love him dearly. We call him the "golden cat" because of all the money he's cost us in surgeries and vet bills in his 6 years of life - just wish he'd poop gold to recover our costs, like the golden goose did eggs. Hopefully we will not have any further issues with him - but we set aside $ every month just in case.

congrats on the job - onwards and upwards towards a bright new future!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X