top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a Judgement before I filed, Anything I should do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a Judgement before I filed, Anything I should do now?

CU got a Judgement against me and I filed about 2 weeks later. Im discharged now, is there anything I should do? I've checked the county clerk website and it just says its adjudicated.Its only been about a week but I just want to make sure I'm on top of it and I dont want any surprises from it.

Adjudicated mean you got a Judgment. You still have it. You should have told your lawyer up front. It need to be motioned to set aside via your bk. Do nothing and you will have it.

A Judgment is an evil thing. Handle it. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

you atty must file a motion to vacate...it should be fine.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

He knew about it, I'll send him off an email about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver26 View Post
          He knew about it, I'll send him off an email about it.
          Please do. This is not a light matter. 'Hub

EDIT: Please have him reply to you as to this status. Please inform us as well.
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

If I remember correctly he acted like it would correct itself once the court was made aware of the BK. The case was included in our petition, I dont know if that makes any difference. I sent him an email inquiring also.

Comment

I had a judgement 4 months prior to filing BK. When they tried to garnish my wages I filed BK within 7 days of the garnishment. My attorney did list the judgement in my petition and did notify the lawyers who issued the garnishment, as well as the creditor. The judgement was vacated after the BK was discharged.

Did your lawyer send the BK information to the lawyers of the creditors? If not then you may want to ask your lawyer to do this. You can also contact the creditors lawyer and ask if they received your BK discharge information.
              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Silver26 View Post
                If I remember correctly he acted like it would correct itself once the court was made aware of the BK. The case was included in our petition, I dont know if that makes any difference. I sent him an email inquiring also.
                In matters of such importance, it is better to be a bit of a pest and ride your attorney for results rather than assume it will correct itself. Typically, an attorney has to enter a motion to vacate the judgement. Many parts of a BK 7 are automatic, but this is something that can/will follow you if not properly stabbed and killed.

Comment

Hi all,

The BK court sending notice to the local court usually won't work b/c the BK notice will not have the local courts case number. The creditor should have been on the creditors matrix and rec'd the BK notice so they go away, but the lawyers in the judgement suit need to get the BK notice too and often aren't on the creditors matrix. If the case is still open, you file an answer/motion asking for dismissal and submit the BK notice or discharge order. If the case is closed, you/your attorney file a motion to vacate/set aside the judgement.

Like ACH said, don't let this go on the back burner and forget about it, these things have a habit of coming back later to bite you in the ....posterior.

Tom in Colo
                  Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

8. What can be done about judgment liens?

A judgment lien is a lien obtained as a result of a money judgment and recorded against property such as a house or a car. If the lien applies to exempt property, it may be eliminated. To avoid a judgment lien, a motion must be filed in addition to the Chapter 7 petition. Liens related to child and spousal support judgments may not be avoided.

Here is an excellent and meaty article addressing a lot of common concerns of bk. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
                      In matters of such importance, it is better to be a bit of a pest and ride your attorney for results rather than assume it will correct itself. Typically, an attorney has to enter a motion to vacate the judgement. Many parts of a BK 7 are automatic, but this is something that can/will follow you if not properly stabbed and killed.
                      Oh so very true - it IS the gift that keeps on giving if not handled correctly.

Comment

Typically, the court charges 200 dollars or so to vacate a judgment. There is separate paperwork that needs to be filed, and the courts charge for processing the paperwork in most districts. You also need to dispute the judgment off your credit reports, as having it there will keep your score lower.
                        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                          8. What can be done about judgment liens?

A judgment lien is a lien obtained as a result of a money judgment and recorded against property such as a house or a car. If the lien applies to exempt property, it may be eliminated. To avoid a judgment lien, a motion must be filed in addition to the Chapter 7 petition. Liens related to child and spousal support judgments may not be avoided.

Here is an excellent and meaty article addressing a lot of common concerns of bk. 'Hub
                          it is a motion to vacate as i have listed above....your atty most likely will charge you per motion...in some cases atty's include in their fees, however, most do not. i know someone that had a few and had to pay her atty an additional $600 per motion....but it does need to get done.

an order is then granted..yo will receive a copy of the order vacating the judgment...i suggest you scan a copy into your computer ...just in case it comes up at a later date.
                          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                            Typically, the court charges 200 dollars or so to vacate a judgment. There is separate paperwork that needs to be filed, and the courts charge for processing the paperwork in most districts. You also need to dispute the judgment off your credit reports, as having it there will keep your score lower.
                            of as b2s has suggested file the motion yourself.. cheaper most likely!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X