top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filed end of Oct but have to add something....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed end of Oct but have to add something....

I filed BK7/no asset end of Oct.

In the beginning of Oct, we had an emergency room visit. One bill came through before I filed, so that was submitted. Another JUST came through, same visit, but an additional bill. Seems this hospital bills things separately, one for Dr, one for hospital.

So, this second bill would require me to file an ammendment? (I think thats what is called). My lawyer will do this for 200.00. The bill is 1400.00.

I have no problem with the 200.00, but don't want the trustee to think I'm trying to slip something in. Is this okay because the actual emergency room visit was BEFORE filing, or will it cause issues because I got the bill after filing?

You're fine. You incurred the debt before filing, so it will be able to be discharged. You'll probably have more coming in, so you may want to wait a couple more weeks so you only have to amend once.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

You can amend or append your paperwork and matrix for $26. Your lawyer is a bit high. If you are unsure how to do this, I guess it would be worth it. I'm sure you have the nolo book on 7 that would tell you how to do this. For free, you also can call the clerks and simply ask them. Most are friendly and helpful. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

It's normal to get a separate bill for the doc for emergency visits. There might also be a separate bill for imaging (xrays, MRIs, CATscans etc) or labwork. Usually the hospital's billing department can tell you how many invoices to expect, even if they don't always know the amounts. I really doubt your trustee hasn't seen this before. Anyway, maybe give the hospital billing department a call before doing the ammendment so you won't have to ammend again if another bill shows up. You don't have to tell them why you're asking - they'll probably assume you're just trying to plan your expenses.
        OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Hi Panacea,

....don't get me started on medical billing.....not only is it normal to get separate bills, it is also normal to have amounts wrong, be double billed, get no bill then get one later, have an accountant at a different address bill you...you get the idea.

The cheapest way around this is to mail the BK notice w/ case# and file date to whoever is billing you. Use certified mail return recpt requested so you have a record having mailed it.

Since you are a no-asset case, adding an unsecured creditor isn't going to change anything so amending is a low priority, definitely not worth $200

The good thing I have to say about medical billing is that once they get the BK notice, they are apologetic and remove it right away. They probably see enough of them....

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Your lawyer is a bit high, my lawyer only require a $35 payment in advance to amend the paperwork...

Comment

i think filing bk on a medical bill is wrong.(unless its a huge one)
              they provided a service and should get paid(lots of folks depend on that money to get paid)
              thats just my opinion
              Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
              Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
              Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Wow...scorpion35...I believe everyone should get paid for services provided by them..but life happens...

Comment

I actually work with a nurse...who while in nursing school fell down a flight of steps at a wedding and ended up in shock trauma with a hospital bill coming back over $50,000...she eventually filed bk...events happen/circumstances change/employment/marriage/children...etc...the list goes on and on...

Comment

Originally posted by mizzmonick19 View Post
                    Wow...scorpion35...I believe everyone should get paid for services provided by them..but life happens...
                    most of the hospitals and doctors will let u pay your bill over months
                    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
                      i think filing bk on a medical bill is wrong.(unless its a huge one)
                      they provided a service and should get paid(lots of folks depend on that money to get paid)
                      thats just my opinion
                      First of all, you don't get to choose what debts to include, they all must be listed.

Besides that, why is one debt more wrong to have discharged than another? We agree to pay back all money we owe. Why is one agreement more sacred than another? No matter who you owe money to, somebody is relying on your payment, whether it be a doctor and his receptionist, or a payment processor at a credit card company. Any business person who extends credit risks that they won't get paid and has to expect that some people won't pay them and factor that into the cost of doing business.

One could argue that discharging medical debt is less "wrong" than other debt. We don't choose to get sick and medical expenses usually aren't optional.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

LadyInTheRed...I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyinthered View Post
                          first of all, you don't get to choose what debts to include, they all must be listed.

Besides that, why is one debt more wrong to have discharged than another? We agree to pay back all money we owe. Why is one agreement more sacred than another? No matter who you owe money to, somebody is relying on your payment, whether it be a doctor and his receptionist, or a payment processor at a credit card company. Any business person who extends credit risks that they won't get paid and has to expect that some people won't pay them and factor that into the cost of doing business.

One could argue that discharging medical debt is less "wrong" than other debt. We don't choose to get sick and medical expenses usually aren't optional.
                          absolutely
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi all,

Not to worry scorpion35, medical professions have patient bankruptcies worked into their business plan. That is why doctor or hospital bankruptcies are few and far between. If it is a local doc that you care about, nothing stopping you from making voluntary payments after the BK....

....but I would check what kind of car they drive and house they have first...

Tom in Colo
                            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Hi Scorpion,
                              You make a great point about how interdependent our purchases and our financial support systems really are. Personally, I look at everything I've bought on credit cards and am well aware that there are people, jobs, products, and services behind each & every transaction. I don't see medical spending as being any different from getting a haircut or buying groceries. It all helps people take home honest pay for honest work. Unfortunately, I was paying with credit and that wasn't such a good idea in retrospect. I guess the buck literally has to stop somewhere. It's unfortunate that when one belt gets tightened several more tighten in response... medical or otherwise.
                              OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X