Domestic Partners with General Partnership Business filing in CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domestic Partners with General Partnership Business filing in CA

Need to find additional information on filing Ch7 in California. We are registered Domestic Partners and our business is a General Partnership. We are filing for our business and personal. We have been together 20 years, so most personal belongings belong to both of us.

Does anyone know where I can get additional information on filing and completing forms. Do we both list the same items and note 50% ownership. I am fairly sure we cannot file as a married couple and double exemptions.

Thanks

Hi kmiller,

Just on a quick search I found this:

In re Rabin, 336 B.R. 459 (Bankr. N.D. Cal. 2005). (http://207.41.19.15/web/bap.nsf/29DA027C49F80DF988257258008132B8/$file/Rabin-06-1005.pdf?openelement)

Under California law, the homestead exemption rights of registrants under the DPRRA are identical to those of people who are married, which is a single combined exemption.

The instructions on the federal BK forms say joint filings are only for married couples, but saw this in the Rabin case:

Moreover, as occurred here, consolidation of cases brought by individuals who are not spouses may also be ordered.

I know there as some significant differences between personal business vs business business in a BK, but it is out of my league...

...need some of the gurus weigh in on how to tangle business vs personal on a BK

Welcome aboard, lots of good folks here to help out, keep us posted..

Tom in Colo
    Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X