Payments made for daughters college expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
    I would agree with you, and believe it or not, most college students either work and/or get some kind of financial aid. BUT, no "normal" person can afford just to "work their way" through school...at least not at any legal job! :-)
    Fully disagree. I know several college students that pay their way through school and live on their own. They've learned to budget well (IE studio apartments, no fancy cars, no charge cards, etc.) All of them have legal jobs.
    Last edited by newbie2; 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

[deleted]

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
        Fully disagree. I know several college students that pay their way through school and live on their own. They've learned to budget well (IE studio apartments, no fancy cars, no charge cards, etc.) All of them have legal jobs.
        And some are raising children on top of work and school.

It's nice when parents are able to help pay for school. But when the reality is that they can't, the children need to decide how hard they are willing to work now for a better future later. One option is to go to a lower cost community college for the first two years. Many say you get a better education there anway because class sizes are smaller and the teachers are focused on teaching instead of doing research and trying to get published.

Unfortunately, children of less affluent parents sometimes have to grow up more quickly. On second thought, maybe that isn't so unforunate.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Anyone can attend college with student loans/financial aid and a part-time to full-time job with no parental assistance. If you are unable to hold down a job while attending classes, you may not be college material.

I don't know what the comment in regards to any "legal" job is, but all of the legal related jobs I worked a during undergrad and law school paid well. I had the experience to back up my pay rate, and the only way I got that experience was by gaining work experience.
          Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Forgive me my friend, I was being a bit fascesions - what so inelegantly meant was that TODAY it is FAR harder for a student to pay for their schooling AND go to school F/T - unless they go to a state univ on in-state tuition, it's darn near impossible TODAY!!!! One of the univs where I teach is a "small liberal arts school" - tuition is north of $30K per year. That does NOT include books, food, somewhere to live, etc. So the student would have to earn (assuming ZERO financial aid) around $40K/year to pay for this. Now - of course over 70% of students get financial aid of some sort (fin aid can mean loans, work study scholarship, etc.)

NOW - if you go to "large excellent state univ" close to where I live IN-state tuition will run around...more or less - about $13K per year (plus books, etc)...that's do-able - but from my humble perch I can tell you that MOST students MOST of the time cannot pay for 100% of their tuition w/out aid - whether they are lucky enough for help of parents, or loans, scholarships, something. That's TODAY. When I was an undergrad, I was able to pay for some of the school myself as well.

So BkAtty I agree with you 100% - anyone can attend college w/out parental help - that is the reality for most students today most of the time. IN other words, we agree!!!!! (Again, I was trying to be funny with "legal" job.)

Originally posted by BKAttyMI View Post
            Anyone can attend college with student loans/financial aid and a part-time to full-time job with no parental assistance. If you are unable to hold down a job while attending classes, you may not be college material.

I don't know what the comment in regards to any "legal" job is, but all of the legal related jobs I worked a during undergrad and law school paid well. I had the experience to back up my pay rate, and the only way I got that experience was by gaining work experience.

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
              Wow Pandora- how old is your daughter? Is she in school FT?
              My son's financial counselor told him that the work/study program strongly limits the amount of time the students can work.
              Keep

She'll be 21 - and yes, she's in FT, however she's done as LadyInTheRed wrote - she's attending comm. college for 2 years, then transferring to a 4 year U. Saves her a ton of $ because most kids will change their major within the first 2 years, so core class requirements are met first, then any specialized classes for degree choice will be done @ 4 year. However, she does attend classes 4 out of 5 days at the comm. college she's at, then heads to work afterwards. As to the work study program, yep - it is limited once you enter into it, but on average its set around 25-40 hrs a week depending on what each school sets forth as to requirements / limits.

People forget sometimes that even at a 4 year Unv. most times you dont have classes every single day 8 hrs/day - it's variable - so you may have 3 classes on Monday, 1 on Tuesday and nothing on Weds... thats when you set your work schedule to work around your courses. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                Keep

People forget sometimes that even at a 4 year Unv. most times you dont have classes every single day 8 hrs/day - it's variable - so you may have 3 classes on Monday, 1 on Tuesday and nothing on Weds... thats when you set your work schedule to work around your courses. ;)
                And when you're young and driven, it's pretty easy to juggle. I remember working 1 full-time (40 hour) job, 2 part-time jobs (around 20 hours combined per week), and going to school full-time too. Granted, I had ZERO social life, but I was young, didn't have kids or a hubby, and was full of energy and ambition. It definitely isn't easy, and it's not the "college experience" that most kids want, but it IS possible.
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I actually did not have a chance to go to college right after I graduated high school. I wish I had, because 15 years ago it was not as expensive. fast forward 15 years and I ended up going back to college. I started at a community college and did the 2 plus 2 program. I spent 2 years at the community college and my last 2 years are at the university. Now granted I have had to take out loans to pay the bills, but I also have received grants and scholarships. I have also been working full time. The only thing is now it is a little harder to find time to study, because I do have a family and a home to take care of.
                  Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                  341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                  Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

I'm late to this discussion, but interested because we are loaning our almost 22 year old money $16000 for school (with the understanding that she will be making the loan payments after she graduates & is employed). The loan was money from my 403(b), not ideal, but we were unable to get loans of any other sort. She tried a semester at a traditional 4-year college & decided it was not for her; she didn't know at that point what she wanted to do & didn't want to spend the time & money on some general degree that she wouldn't use. She spent the next couple of years working at a dry cleaners before deciding she wanted to work with animals, and is attending a technical college to get her veterinary tech associates degree. For 16 months she attends classes Monday through Friday, 8:00 - 4:00, with periodic kennel duties approx every 3 weeks or so, which involve either coming to school 2 hours early or staying 2 hours late. Then she will intern for 2 months before graduating & being placed into a job. Could she work? Yes, but it would be impossible to work enough hours to pay tuition, housing expenses & food, and still manage to pass her classes. Individuals able to attend school & work full-time are to be admired, but expecting every student to pay their own way is unrealistic.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X