Okay - Now I'm confused about 2nd mortgage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay - Now I'm confused about 2nd mortgage

Maybe I read it wrong but I thought 2nd mortgage was still a concern after bk. Received (finally) my closing papers from my lawyer and everything is discharged. I owed $72,353 on 1st, $5,914 on home loan with 1st, $25,487 on 2nd and $19,117 on home improvement loan. I had 6,804 in assorted credit card and other debts.

The total discharged was $137,456.10. Doesn't that mean tha the 2nd was discharged also??? I thought the 2nd wasn't discharged and still a concern. Anyone know what this al means?

2nds get discharged just like 1sts.

Comment

You discharged the debt (the promissory note). The lien (mortgage or deed of trust) survived. If you do not service the loan the lender may foreclose on the mortgage/deed of trust but cannot sue you for money.

Des.

Comment

Thanks Des. After this horrendous rollercoaster ride, house being underwater and still needing work, unemployed with no job in sight, and the final realization that I had no choice but to bk, I am so thankful to be done with it all.

Sometimes I just curse my real estate agent as she knew what I was getting into, but maybe she didn't, who knows. I think back on the apartment I had for 550 a month and I was paying down my debts, but the economy whispered, You can get a house, and I listened.

THEN I became house poor and the economy collasped and my place of work 're-organized', and I was out of a job. If I had only stayed in my apt, I may have made it. I'll never know because I didn't do that, instead I bought this house which has eaten every money I ever made.

Oh well, I guess there is a lesson there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
          If I had only stayed in my apt, I may have made it. I'll never know because I didn't do that, instead I bought this house which has eaten every money I ever made. Oh well, I guess there is a lesson there somewhere.
          Yes, the lesson is. . . .

"Garbage happens, deal with it and move on."

Blaming yourself, or someone else for that matter, is not going to change the past. Aways look to the future.

Des.

Comment

Actually, when I look back, I've had tremendous enjoyment fixing this place up, prior to being laid off. I would never have guessed that I could put up wallboard, create a closet and other spaces and gotten so much pleasure in finding these strengths that I never knew I had.

And, who would have guessed that the economy would get so bad? I still have hope that I will find a job, even at 57 and I guess I really wouldn't have changed the things I did. It was fun while it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
              Thanks Des. After this horrendous rollercoaster ride, house being underwater and still needing work, unemployed with no job in sight, and the final realization that I had no choice but to bk, I am so thankful to be done with it all.

Sometimes I just curse my real estate agent as she knew what I was getting into, but maybe she didn't, who knows. I think back on the apartment I had for 550 a month and I was paying down my debts, but the economy whispered, You can get a house, and I listened.

THEN I became house poor and the economy collasped and my place of work 're-organized', and I was out of a job. If I had only stayed in my apt, I may have made it. I'll never know because I didn't do that, instead I bought this house which has eaten every money I ever made.
              I remember back in 2007 when I moved to Arizona, and several of the men I worked with were telling me how real estate is a "can't lose" investment and that I'd be "throwing my money away" if I rented. In fact, one of my co-workers was married to a real estate agent, and he was constantly telling me how I should buy a so-called "condominium"--which was really just a used apartment that had undergone minor cosmetic upgrades--so that I could build equity and enjoy the "security" of owning my own home.

However, I talked with my dad, who agreed with me that housing costs were too high compared to peoples' real incomes and that prices would eventually have to come down--way down. Also, I would never--out of principle--buy anything where I have to belong to (and pay for) and association. My dad also agreed that when you buy into an association, you are essentially renting the home--except YOU get to pay for all the maintenence, repairs, insurance, and property taxes.

So I got the rental apartment instead, and I couldn't be happier. In 2007, I was paying $525 a month for a 1-bedroom apartment--with all the utilities included--and even now, I am paying only $540. It has only gone up $5 a year! I am sure that the mandatory HOA membership at a "condominium" development would have increased much more than that, plus there would probably be special assessments and other fees that I'd have been stuck with.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X