Keeping and paying off debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping and paying off debt

So I am about to file bankruptcy next Saturday and I have two accounts that I would like to keep and pay on. Is that possible if I am filing a Chapter 7? The two accounts are Capital One and Dell Financial. They have small balances and I don't want the accounts to close. Can my lawyer take care of this or do I need to call them?

You can't do that. You have to include all debt in your filing. There is nothing you or your attorney can do about this.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Your credit cards will most likely all be canceled, whether they have a balance on the day you filed or not. I had about 10 credit cards, only 4 of which had balances when I filed. The only one that has not been canceled is my Costco American Express card.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
        You can't do that. You have to include all debt in your filing. There is nothing you or your attorney can do about this.
        Spot on information.

And in addition...... if you file a Chapter 7 (no asset case), these would be discharged regardless of whether you listed them or not.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
          Your credit cards will most likely all be canceled, whether they have a balance on the day you filed or not. I had about 10 credit cards, only 4 of which had balances when I filed. The only one that has not been canceled is my Costco American Express card.
          Wow,Lady I am SHOCKED.
          I didn't think there was any hope for any kind of AMEX.
          I would so love to keep mine but it's already been closed. I wonder if dh would be able to get one post bk? he's never had one and to my shock they have been soliciting him, even tho our credit is so trashed by now that I have been afraid to look...

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
            Wow,Lady I am SHOCKED.
            I didn't think there was any hope for any kind of AMEX.
            I would so love to keep mine but it's already been closed. I wonder if dh would be able to get one post bk? he's never had one and to my shock they have been soliciting him, even tho our credit is so trashed by now that I have been afraid to look...
            I keep expecting it to get closed. Everybody says that AmX is terrible in BK. But, I'm 16 months into my 13 and I still have a $20,000 credit limit and access to my account online. I wonder if it's because it's a Costco AmX. Or maybe they treat Chap 13 filers differently. It'll be interesting to see if it stays open for another 44 months.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Been looking into ch 13 but in case ch 7 is for me I have a question here. I'm married but will file as an individual since 7 out of 8 cards are in my name only. How does the 8th card we are joint holders on affected? Is this card left out and we pay on it? Or is it also discharged?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X