Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the things that I found most comforting, although I too found my thought going directly to my BK mess whenever I was awake, was to think about how grateful I was that when we finally realized we could not fix this by being bull-headed and "just doing something", that the law provides bankruptcy. I looked at it this way - when we were simply not living up to our agreements because we now owed so much more than we could ever pay, we were no longer abiding by the law. By filing the bankruptcy and going through that process that will legally strip away what we cannot pay, as long as we learn from this experience and are able to ensure we don't have this experience ever again through our own bad choices, we are being washed clean and we'll be law-abiding thereafter. This is supported Biblically. In Bible times, every fifty years, there was Jubilee, which freed the indentured and gave a fresh start. (See Leviticus 25:10 and the verses following.) It applied across the board to all the people, and multiple references to "not oppressing" each other. That sure sounds like debt forgiveness to me and it comes with a big celebration.

We may not be able to prevent our thought going right to this subject right now, but we can immediately arrest our thinking and "bring it into captivity" and focus that thought on that subject to be forward looking. There's no point in circling the drain and staring down in the black hole. Because you are not going there, if you will look up and out and think rightly. There's a lovely set of instructions by Paul to the Corinthians at chapter 10. The point of it is that although there is temptation to think badly (and to act according to our bad thinking) we can take charge of our thinking and think in the right direction.

One of the best things I have found for those middle of the night wake up in fright things that happened a lot when I had not yet accepted our need to BK to get freedom, was to consider this night terror as a wakeup call for an "appointment with God," in the stillness of the night. I wanted to get sleep so I could be useful during the day. Trying to figure anything out in the middle of the night was crazy... I needed something to calm me so I could get back to sleep. I needed to find reasons to feel good, and to me that has always meant finding what I'm grateful for in the situation, and holding those ideas in my thought.

Since my biggest focus was on an issue that it appeared dead obvious we would lose our home, which I had worked long and hard to make it what it is, and loved it in a most visceral way, I found myself needing to go right to basics - what could I be grateful for about this mess? In this process, I had lost a job, and I realized that if I did this BK right and surrendered my home, I could change careers to something which will pay very low to start but will be most fulfilling to me. It was hard to be grateful for that, most of the time. But like the little monkey with his fist stuck in the cookie jar, I could not have my freedom while holding on to the cookie! I prayed to recognize that giving up my hold on the house was going to free me to serve God in this new career and that he will take care of his servant. (And how true this is proving! Both my husband and I have jobs we feel fulfilled by, and we're working to make our crazy scheduled life work for us. But best of all, instead of having a crater of debt, we have this amazing thing called a "SAVINGS ACCOUNT" and... every month we can put money in it and we do!)

All the best to you - you can destress when you find even the tiniest things to be grateful for. And remember what Jesus said right at the end of Matthew 11. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
    Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

Comment

I agree with all these great people here, you took the first big step from the constant downward spiral. My prayers are with you and your family. Your wife, I believe will come around, she just needs time. Don't beat yourself up anymore, stay focused on what you need to do for yourself. I've been through divorce, a heroin addicted child, a child that survived cancer, (same one) a separation and claimed bankruptcy twice in my life, thought my life was over. But faith, good friends and support made me realize, I'm worth the battle, take care of you first, and have faith!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackgoose View Post
        You guys how did you clear your mind? This is a 24/7 battle. Starting to get the chest stress and headache. What would you guys do to get away in your mind?
        Get some Xanax. It's available in generic form now.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

First thing I did was tell my parents. It wasn't easy and I expected boatloads of criticism.
          Instead, my mom sent over a bunch of food

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

BG,

I just spotted your thread, and let me say I am sorry that things are bumpy with your wife right now. And, as others have said, this is a journey that gets better with time.

My DH and I filed CH7 BK last September. Our situation had some similarities to yours. I was the bill payer in the house. I stayed home with the kids and he worked. We both used the cards, not for toys, but lets be honest, we both made some bad decisions, and in addition used the cards to keep our business afloat. We seemed to be robbing Peter to pay Paul every single month, and the debt accumulated. Then, DH lost his job and our side business had stopped bringing in any money months before that. I could not sleep, eat, or really focus on anything. I was pulled into this vortex of worry, guilt, shame, hopelessness, etc. I did not want to burden him with the stress, too, so I kept it all to myself.

I too reached out to my Higher Power and the answer came to me - through a google ad - I swear. I had been praying on giving me guidance on what to do, how to handle our situation. And the next morning I signed into my email, and there was the ad. This was the first time I had considered bankruptcy. I always thought that going bankrupt was a losers way out, a way to play the system. Then I started doing some research - and found this glorious forum! I don't post alot, but I read ALOT! This bunch of folks are so knowledgeable and caring - a real support system! And I needed it because I joined the forum and did all of my researching about bankruptcy before I spoke to my DH about it. It was really hard for me - took me about a week to get up the courage - I even saw a lawyer before I talked to him about it.

Needless to say, he was shocked at the suggestion. Furious that I had not said anything to him about our situation. And he was right. Although he had knowledge of our debt, he did not know the exact number and how tough it had gotten to pay all of the bills. We had a VERY tense month or so, until after our 341 meeting. He then told me that he was upset with me for keeping the money situation from him because it wasn't fair to me to shoulder all of the stress. That we are in this marriage as a team, for better or for worse.

I will say now that our marriage is stronger than ever, but we did have our biggest bumpy patch at this time last year. And we now pay bills together, as I realized that by trying to keep the burden to myself, it was unfair to him because he had no idea about our finances at all - and being clueless is a whole other kind of stress.

Hang in there. Your wife will get over the initial shock, and hopefully start showing you more support soon.

While I can't think of anyone who didn't freak out during their bankruptcy, I also can't think of anyone who regrets their decision.

Come here often - the support is enormous!
            Filed Ch 7 Sept '10, 341 Meeting Oct '10, Discharged Dec '10, Case Closed Jan '11

EQ 2/8/11 - 584, 6/2/11 - 677

Comment

I told my parents, too, and a friend who had given me the idea. It's always good to have at least one person to talk to everyday as you make this journey.
              Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drowning123 View Post
                I told my parents, too, and a friend who had given me the idea. It's always good to have at least one person to talk to everyday as you make this journey.
                I sure agree with that. I also told a close friend since highshool, and my brother. I've also been a member of a couple of 12 step groups in the past and you can apply that "way of life" to anything. I could not see going through this process without some type of support system.

Comment

I told my Dad, felt like "dead man walking" and he was soooooooo great about it! He told me he was proud of me for admitting to my problem and doing something about it. Made me feel a whole lot better!

Comment

BG- Just caught this thread...there is not much I can add to what others have already said. Bankruptcy itself is a HUGE stressor. I'm not sure what your marriage was like before you told your wife about the bankruptcy, but like it or not, she has some responsibility in this. I hope she realizes this and at least gives you a chance to talk about it. Your marriage deserves at least that. Maybe try to meet in a neutral place and tell her how you are feeling. Be prepared for some rough times ahead either way. It has been a tough road for my hubby and I. I had to have some help to get through all the anxiety, but I am in a much better place now. Bankruptcy is NOT the end of the world. I will keep you in my prayers.

Comment

I am so sorry for your situation but use this time to make a plan and the rest will come. You may not want to plan and research right now but it will help you to feel like you are back in control (or on your way to it anyway). Start reading the stickies here and do some state research as well, plan out your attorney search. This will give you power (knowledge is power) for that next conversation (or at some point) with your wife, she will have to know that you are doing the right thing and she will want answers, you will have to come across with confidence to win her back.

Coming from a wives point of view, she will think this through, she is scared for herself and the kids, this is the unknown to her and she is pissed BUT she will eventually want to be part of the solution and will expect you to have answers. That's how I would be anyway because everyone deserves a second chance (we have all made mistakes my friend) but I would look to him for action (action speaks way louder than words). This will also occupy your time and when she is ready you will be ready.

Also, start to look for your attorney (free consults of course) and once the appointments are set up invite her along, this will show her that you want to fix this together and want to include her ( you cannot do anything about the past but include her in everything going forward), even if she is not ready to go at least you have asked and sometimes that's all we want, is to be asked/included (in the good and the bad).

Good luck and stay here with us, you have friends!
                      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM. Reason: make it easier to read.

Comment

Hi, Blackgoose. I've been following this thread and haven't had anything to add to what the wonderful people on this board have said. I hope you have been able to move forward the last couple of days. Give us an update on how you are doing.
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yes, would love an update. You have been in my thoughts and my fingers are crossed that your wife has calmed down a bit and realizes that you both need to deal with this together. Hopefully when all is said and done your marriage will be stronger than ever!
                          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

I too, like most have been following this thread. This forum is an exceptional place for support, advice and stress relief. Everyone here cares and has similar stories, the advice and support you will receive is priceless. I told my parents, brother and my very close friends, the support from them was all positive. I hope all is well, I look forward to reading an update.
                            Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

I hope we do hear from our friend. Even just a "I'm working on it" would do so we know he's alive or dead. (rhetorically). 'Hub
                              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi Blackgoose:

We are sorry the site has been down for so long. Please let us know how you are doing...
                                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X