$3,500 to much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$3,500 to much?

Found an amazing attorney. She has 30 years if experience. So far the only attorney we have liked. However... Her fee is $3,500 for a complete chapter 7. Would anyone pay that?

It's a little bit high. We spoke to one here in NJ who charges that much, and I am sure prices are much higher here in general than Utah.
    But if you love her, it might be worth it.
    OTOH, I don't think you have a very complicated case, right? Perhaps you should keep interviewing.
    Why do you like her better than the others? I assume she is more responsive than the others.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Mine quoted me about $1750 with the bk filing fee. Looks like thats around what most charge. Ifs its a pretty straightforward case, then I dont see why you would pay any more. Ifs its very complicated It may make sense. But your bankrupt right, so why bother.

Comment

I wouldn't pay that as that is bit steep. I'm in NJ, and I paid less than $2K. To be honest, I'm surprised at that high amount since you are in Utah.

Comment

I would see what the going rate is where you live. What were the others you didn't like charging? It might be worth going with someone that your wife trusts given the circumstances you started out with.
          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Hard to say, no one, and I mean no one hear has any context for understanding what a FAIR cost for YOUR bankruptcy would be. Is $3,500 a bit on the high side, but maybe you have some complexity in your case, maybe the attorney is full service...meaning she does not exclude items from the agreement like reaffirmation agreements, post filing contact, adversary proceedings, etc.

I would see what the going rate is where you live. What were the others you didn't like charging? It might be worth going with someone that your wife trusts given the circumstances you started out with.
            I think that is of "limited" benefit. The underlying assumption is that the attorneys are offering the same thing, that is NOT the case and misunderstands attorney fees. You are not buying a gallon of milk. There are primarily 3 factors that go into an attorney fee.
            1. Expertise of the attorney (generally, the more experienced and more qualified the attorney, the more you will pay).
            2. Complexity of the matter: this aspect combines two aspects, the legal complexity and expected time commitment by the attorney. A social security widow with no assets will generally be charged less than a family of 5 with 2 incomes and non-exempt assets.
            3. Level of service to be provided: This goes more directly to anticipated time spent, is the attorney excluding any particular service (very common in the BK industry), is phone time with the attorney extra, will you be able to get questions answered.

There have been many people on this forum that went the "cheap" route only to regret it when they couldn't get a return call, get questions answered, and sometimes had their jeopardized.
            Last edited by HHM; 11-28-2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Here in NJ, this is what I have found so far. All attorneys are highly experienced and highly rated and the fee includes the same thing.
              2000- current trustee, single practitioner
              2200-was a trustee, " "
              1800- highly rated on Avvo, a boot camper , previously worked "the other side of the fence", spent an hour and a half with us and offered more if necessary
              3500- larger firm, would deal almost exclusively with a para, but offered a discount as a "professional courtesy"

ETA: none include filing fee or courses

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

after pricing and interviewing many attys, 3500 does sound a bit high to me. even if you had an ap, most likely that would be a separate charge anyway, or at least in most cases. also, if it's a chapter 7 i do understand if it is an asset case it could be more time consuming, however, i still think you can find a very capable atty for less. we had extremely complex issues and paid $1500, although that DID not include any adverse proceedings.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You will generally get what you pay for, there are boutique bankruptcy attorneys out there charging fees in the $3000-$4000 range for specialized "hand-holding". If this is what you need, by all means go for it. A boutique will give you personal attention and information, while a large firm will likely only give you basic information and generic attorneys. Go with what you are comfortable with.
                  Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BKAttyMI View Post
                    You will generally get what you pay for, there are boutique bankruptcy attorneys out there charging fees in the $3000-$4000 range for specialized "hand-holding". If this is what you need, by all means go for it. A boutique will give you personal attention and information, while a large firm will likely only give you basic information and generic attorneys. Go with what you are comfortable with.
                    that's an excellent point. as many do have the dispositions that require that "extra" attention. many times i agree that is worth every penny...kinda like flying virgin airlines first class ;) if i had had the money i would have gone for the hand holding if i felt as though i needed it.

however, we can't lose sight that much of the basic work is done by the client and not the atty's office. it's up to the client to provide all the pertinent information to complete the process, even the best atty can't help a client that has a difficult time providing them what they need to do their job.
                    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

If I may - handholding is not a bad thing at all :-)

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                        If I may - handholding is not a bad thing at all :-)
                        agreed, i'm a big fan of hand holding LOL!!

Comment

I'm in new jersey and my attorney was $2700. he did a good job!

Comment

Hey guys. Thanks for the great feedback. What the heck is wrong with Utah? I'm can't get her to return my calls now? How long do you wait to hear back? It's been 8 days now.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackgoose View Post
                              Hey guys. Thanks for the great feedback. What the heck is wrong with Utah? I'm can't get her to return my calls now? How long do you wait to hear back? It's been 8 days now.
                              did you pay her anything yet???

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X